Spyshot: Compact Lincoln Crossover

It's hard to keep secrets around Detroit, much easier to do it in Europe as we saw with the Focus. We haven't seen much spy activity from Ford in recent months, possibly because they are being more secretive, or sending out less prototypes, or the Spy Photographers are slipping and not paying attention to Ford anymore.

Why? Auto manufactures use mules to build up excitement in upcoming products when they play the game with the spy photographers...Ford hasn't been playing that game intentionally for a long time now. The last time we saw mules really far out was with the new Explorer...the Escape and Fusion where rarely photographed and with the Fusion, wasn't seen fully till it was shown at the Detroit Auto show.

Why? Auto manufactures use mules to build up excitement in upcoming products when they play the game with the spy photographers...Ford hasn't been playing that game intentionally for a long time now. The last time we saw mules really far out was with the new Explorer...the Escape and Fusion where rarely photographed and with the Fusion, wasn't seen fully till it was shown at the Detroit Auto show.

I think they are afraid they will kill demand for the older products that will soon be updated as customers will try to wait for the new one.

I think they are afraid they will kill demand for the older products that will soon be updated as customers will try to wait for the new one.

Thats understandable, but wasn't really my point...but then again I bet over 80% of people don't even know about mule cars etc...

We saw lots of Escape and Fusion prototypes, but I believe they all cropped up within 6 months of their reveals. They tend to follow certain predictable timelines, so it may just mean the Lincoln Escape is coming end of next-year.

The mustang mule just shown is an attribute prototype, that's the kind of mule I'm talking about, HVAC mules with new front facias come later

Also as said, we could also be way too early for any of that, styling mule at NAIAS before development is complete allowing for a launch late in 2013?

Edited by jpd80

Guess you could set a requirement to maintain the underhood architecture and hard points.

1) Seems unlikely that hardpoints will change enough to prevent kluging Escape body panels onto the platform (viz. the 2015 Mustang running around in apparently stock 2014 Mustang bodywork).

2) Software models and wind tunnel testing should get you into the ballpark as far as fascia design goes; you can then show that fascia and tweak it if subsequent testing proves unsatisfactory in small details.

Virtual build software allows designers to get various systems much closer to right before any physical cars are build,

early trials that were done with attribute prototype mules are not as necessary anymore, they could take Escape in virtual

and make the Lincoln changes, model against known parameters until close than then build prototypes that are near

production ready - things like minor styling tweaks could be made until a few months out from production...

Edited by jpd80

And you also have global considerations....Ford Asia, specifically China will have Lincolns so

they would surely have some selective interior styling and exterior changes to suit markets there.

It would make sense to bundle the changes as much as possible and do at the one time...

I could see MKZ, next MKX and MKEscape being the three key global Lincoln vehicles there..

Lincolns in Nth America, Lincolns in Asia, Middle East now falls under Ford Europe

so maybe Lincolns in to Europe - that could be much further down the track...

Edited by jpd80

Saw pic of MKC at Lincoln meeting this week. Less impressed than I was when I saw new MKZ. Less distinction than I had anticipated. But will still fill a volume hole that Lincoln does not compete in currently.

I guess that's the point, there's only so much you can do with a compact crossover shape and style,

especially for a first time Lincoln product that's trying to establish and grow a significant market.

Something that has come up again, and again, and again... Quite simply history has shown it is much, much harder to create effective styling differentiation with a utility. Just look at how many people said CRV and RAV4 when the new Escape was shown. When you see the Escape parked next to a CRV or RAV4 you can see clear differences, but that doesn't seem to show up on film. I think that is because the differences are all about scale and poise, not different styling elements. Sedans have much more freedom because the three box body style give the stylists much more canvas to work with. Additionally stylists for cars (sedans, wagons, and hatchback) can mix an emphasis of height and presence or lack thereof for speed and power. That doesn't work for utilities because when you try and lower the profile you get some strangeness (i.e. Acura ZDX or BMW X6). And as such stylists are forced to be honest with utilities, and as such everyone ends up using common styling themes and shapes with only minor scale, poise, and detail differences.

Saw pic of MKC at Lincoln meeting this week. Less impressed than I was when I saw new MKZ. Less distinction than I had anticipated. But will still fill a volume hole that Lincoln does not compete in currently.

Thanks for the heads-up thumb.gif