MFT 3.5.1 iPhone text messages now working???

blockisle9

• 3 weeks later...

I've read on another site that after getting the 3.5.1 update and doing a master reset, some iPhone users claim they can now recieve text messages and have them read to them.

Can anyone verify this?

Not according to Ford.

Ford set me this email last week.

Steve,

Thank you for your email in regards to your SYNC and iPhone.

At this time, the iPhones still do not support text messaging thru SYNC unfortunately.

Sincerely,

Timur

Ford Motor Company

SYNC Support Center

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 12/7/2012 04:37:22 PM

To: <crcfmc@ford.com>

Subject: Re: SYNC Apple Products

OK another month has gone by.

Do you have a solution yet?

I get them no problem with my iphone 4s. When a text is sent to me, first thing that happens is an audible notification, then the MFT screen displays some options, like "listen", and a couple others. I usually hit listen and the computer reads it to me. I think it works like it should.

At least with the androids, on first connect/use of some functions. you must have the phone unlocked and be watching the phone screen for permissions - because if you miss them, or don't permit them, you won't get prompted again, the functions just won't work - until you delete the phone on BOTH sides, re-pair, and re-allow (with "don't ask again checked").

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1 and I am not able to receive/read text messages via MFT. I am able to have the messages read over my speakers by activating Siri through my phone, however. It acts like a phone call to the MFT system and I have the option to reply (via voice) to the new messages at that point as well.

Does anyone else with an iPhone 5 have the ability to have MFT receive/read their text messages?

Yes. I can receive messages with my iPhone 4S and iOS 6.0.1. The MAP profile was modified in the newest iOS and will work with the newest version of Sync (3.5.1 I think). It will notify you of a message and will read it to you, but due to other aspects of the MAP profile, it will not allow you to dictate messages to send. You can get around this by simply using Siri to dictate the message (or the imbedded voice to text function...which is not Siri). When you have the phone paired with hte car, and you try to use any of the voice commands with the iPhone, it will work through the car's speaker and microphone...it just won't be using the Sync system to recognize the speech and convert it to text.

I solve this by mounting my iPhone on the front windscreen near the mirror and it is simply another touch and voice interface that i can use hands free without taking my eyes off the road.

Yes. I can receive messages with my iPhone 4S and iOS 6.0.1. The MAP profile was modified in the newest iOS and will work with the newest version of Sync (3.5.1 I think). It will notify you of a message and will read it to you, but due to other aspects of the MAP profile, it will not allow you to dictate messages to send. You can get around this by simply using Siri to dictate the message (or the imbedded voice to text function...which is not Siri). When you have the phone paired with hte car, and you try to use any of the voice commands with the iPhone, it will work through the car's speaker and microphone...it just won't be using the Sync system to recognize the speech and convert it to text.

I solve this by mounting my iPhone on the front windscreen near the mirror and it is simply another touch and voice interface that i can use hands free without taking my eyes off the road.

txtenor, any idea on what I need to do to allow my iPhone 5 to work with MFT? I have the iOS 6.0.1 operation system and MFT 3.5.1, like you. Any ideas? Thanks.

Correct.

You can actually go to Phone on MFT, then go to Messaging, and you should see a numbered list of your text messages. Unread messages will have an envelope next to them. You should be able to select any of those messages and have them read back.

Oddly, you cannot say "Messages" and have MFT take you to that screen. Since that is purely a navigation function in MFT, I would say the blame there lies with Ford, not iOS.

It's my understanding that several users say they can receive SMS with the iPhone on iOS 6, but they mentioned that you still can't send them via the interface.

txtenor, any idea on what I need to do to allow my iPhone 5 to work with MFT? I have the iOS 6.0.1 operation system and MFT 3.5.1, like you. Any ideas? Thanks.

All I did, was pair my iPhone with the system and it works. The first time you pair it, the message part may not come up, but turn the car off and back on and it is there.

It does take a few minutes for the pairing to complete...and by that, I mean that the phone will pair and be ready to work as a phone, but other functions take a few more minutes to become available. If you have had yours paired for a while, I would delete the phone from the system and delete Sync from your bluetooth pairings...then start over fresh. Make sure to give it time to complete the entire process (5 minutes?). Ultimately, you will have the options come up on your phone and Sync:

• On the iPhone, after it is paired with Sync, go to: "Settings"/"Bluetooth" and press the arrow to the far right for "Sync"
  • Under the "Forget this device" option, two settings should apprear: "Show Notifications" and "Sync Contacts"
  • Each should have a Yes/No slider...set the slider to "Yes" for "Show Notifications" and then exit from the screen.

The next time you connect the phone to the car, it should provide notifications of messages received.

FWIW, after the 3.5.1 MFT update, Sync tells me my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1 doesn't support MAP over BT. When I was running 3.2.2 MFT, it would not generate that message but it would never sync the text messages. I'm not sure what is going on at this point.

I figured my Galaxy Nexus running JellyBean would have MAP support over BT but no dice there either.