Toyota loyal relative looking into new Fusion

When I buy I know where the vehicle is or I order it. I don't need anyone or AAA to track it down for me. The only time I contact the dealer is to buy what is on the lot or place an order. They save the sales tax but wasted much more on the Lexus. Whatever.

The initial Lexus dealer they looked at didn't even have their inventory listed on the site. However, it's one of the largest Lexus dealers here in SoCal. The Ford dealers were just as bad as the first Lexus dealer. The only dealer that got it right was the one that got the sale. Customer lets them know what they want, dealer follows up, dealer finds a car, customer buys car and is happy. It just took way too long to get to this point, and it's not Ford nor Lexus that's at fault here. It's the shitty dealers and employees that can't be bothered apparently to do their job. It's a shame though, as even though their new ES is a nice enough car, I still find the Fusion much more visually distinctive and exciting overall. Their new Highlander is nice enough too, but still.

Another family member recently bought a new Explorer however, so I will get to check that out this weekend so it's not a total loss.

I don't contact dealers for any other reason. It is that simple.

Presumably because they're unreliable, and occasionally slimy, right?

Which is pretty much what sixt9coug's aunt and uncle experienced.

What I find interesting, though, is that they were willing to go to a second Lexus dealer, but apparently were not willing to go to a second Ford dealer.

Presumably because they're unreliable, and occasionally slimy, right?

Which is pretty much what sixt9coug's aunt and uncle experienced.

What I find interesting, though, is that they were willing to go to a second Lexus dealer, but apparently were not willing to go to a second Ford dealer.

They actually did go to two different Ford dealers. One prominant one in Long Beach, then one in Cerritos. Dean offered help as well, but by that time they were already looking at the Lexus.

I can give my experience back in 2002 when I bought my Taurus. I wanted a Matador red Taurus SES Sport, and found one on Bill Brown lot, but it didn't have upgraded stereo system with 6 CD. Bill Brown searched one throughout MI, found it for me, and had it at dealership within week. Salesmen called me three times in that time to assure me he would and did find what I wanted. And that salesmen has sent me Christmas card every year since, and just got Christmas card from him this week. So there are good Ford sales people out there who will go extra mile for you. You just have to try harder. If I were treated by sales person like above, I would go back to dealership, and request new sales person, and keep trying until I found motivated sales person. I would think every dealership has at least one sales person like that. The one's who are not motivated need to be avoided.

• Like 1

A shame Lincon MKZ never crossed their mind but then again, I guess the timing wasn't right......

I can give my experience back in 2002 when I bought my Taurus. I wanted a Matador red Taurus SES Sport, and found one on Bill Brown lot, but it didn't have upgraded stereo system with 6 CD. Bill Brown searched one throughout MI, found it for me, and had it at dealership within week. Salesmen called me three times in that time to assure me he would and did find what I wanted. And that salesmen has sent me Christmas card every year since, and just got Christmas card from him this week. So there are good Ford sales people out there who will go extra mile for you. You just have to try harder. If I were treated by sales person like above, I would go back to dealership, and request new sales person, and keep trying until I found motivated sales person. I would think every dealership has at least one sales person like that. The one's who are not motivated need to be avoided.

The difference in sales culture between one dealership and another is amazing, some sales staff you wouldn't feed but others,

boy you know they will chase down the vehicle you want - they're the ones to seek out, the people who get repeat business..

Edited by jpd80

In the end Ford lost. Even though the dealer pays for the car when it takes delivery...they still lost. Nobody won, the customer, dealer nor Ford.

The point was that it wasn't Ford's fault because they have no control over dealers. It was a lost customer for Ford but unfortunately there isn't much Ford itself can do about it.

• Like 1

The initial Lexus dealer they looked at didn't even have their inventory listed on the site. However, it's one of the largest Lexus dealers here in SoCal. The Ford dealers were just as bad as the first Lexus dealer. The only dealer that got it right was the one that got the sale. Customer lets them know what they want, dealer follows up, dealer finds a car, customer buys car and is happy. It just took way too long to get to this point, and it's not Ford nor Lexus that's at fault here. It's the shitty dealers and employees that can't be bothered apparently to do their job.

I'll give you anecdote: I completed nearly all of my Christmas shopping using the internet. I did not have to depend on anyone calling me back (or refusing to call them to check on why they didn't call me back). I did not have to depend on whether an individual was good at his or her job. I only had to visit 2 stores to get gift cards (and 1 of them could have been done via online if I hadn't waited too long) and 1 store to buy a product that isn't sold over the internet. I got everything I wanted in a very short period of time.

Ultimately, I still think purchasing the Lexus was the better choice for your aunt and uncle.

They talked to multiple Ford dealers. If someone is hellbent on a being a Toyota loyal I don't know what you can do to stop them.

They talked to multiple Ford dealers. If someone is hellbent on a being a Toyota loyal I don't know what you can do to stop them.

Yeah, if they had really wanted a Fusion, they wouldn't have let one disinterested sales person sway them. It's not about unmotivated sales people, but about the vehicle you really want. Lots of Ford dealerships, many more than Toyota, and no shortage of new Fusions on dealer lots. Right now, I wouldn't have much trouble picking out Fusion of my choice on dealer lot and driving off next day with Christmas bonus cash to boot. $1000 Holiday bonus cash on new Taurus on top of incentives and super low lease rates.

If they were hell-bent on "being a Toyota loyal," why would they bother talking to any Ford dealers at all, let alone multiple dealers? It sounds to me like they were interested in the Fusion, but the Ford dealerships didn't give a rodent's behind about selling them one, so they kept looking 'til they found a dealer interested in making a sale. This is all on those Ford dealers, IMHO.

If they were hell-bent on "being a Toyota loyal," why would they bother talking to any Ford dealers at all, let alone multiple dealers? It sounds to me like they were interested in the Fusion, but the Ford dealerships didn't give a rodent's behind about selling them one, so they kept looking 'til they found a dealer interested in making a sale. This is all on those Ford dealers, IMHO.

Sounds to me like they were more interested in finding a dealer who would cater to them and coddle them than they were in the actual vehicle. Which is ok.

I will tell the tale of two Ford dealerships, and the completely opposite spectrum they operate on.

When we decided that we wanted an Explorer Sport, we looked at the inventory in the surrounding 300 miles. We knew there were not alot on the ground, and we knew what we wanted. So when we talked to our local Ford store, and our salesperson John, we were able to give him the line-up on preference, knowing they would have to trade for one. John worked up the numbers on the one we preferred ($500 over invoice, without arguing or playing games), found and applied any applicable rebates ($1000 from Ford, on a lease, and an additional $750 we had been sent), and submitted the lease for approval. Within 20 minutes of leaving the dealership, we knew we had our lease, and that John would work on getting the vehicle on Monday (they deal with the fleet manager on trades, who is not there on the weekend).

Monday comes and we get a call saying the Explorer Sport is ours, and they are lining up someone to go get it, and doing the paperwork. One hour later we get another call saying it is sold at the originating dealership, so we can't have it, and they will try to locate another. Thus starts the 2 day process of both John and his manager calling, leaving messages, pleading, and searching other dealerships for one we can have. At the end of Tues, they tell us that noone will trade them one, that there are dealerships that never even called back, and that others seem to be using the vehicle for a demo, or the wife has it. We still have our approved lease, and can use it at any dealership, as they do not believe what most of them are telling them (evidenced by the fact that the original "sold" one is still showing in available inventory).

Wed comes and I put out an internet inquiry on the original red one. I quickly get a call, tell them the deal they have to do for us, and if they do, it is sold. It is agreed upon over the phone, and we go there the same day, to finish the deal. Upon arrival, we find that the Sport has an addendum sticker on it, with a $2000 market adjustment, aftermarket tint, stupid wax add-on, and an aftermarket alarm totalling $4000. We say we do not want the alarm, and the other stuff means nothing to us, as we already have a deal. Then the back and forth as they try to use a higher money factor on us, to make more money on the backside. I explain the situation, and how their dealership lied to mine, and how it affected us directly, and we are none too happy. The tap dancing was a sight to behold, from both the salesman, and the finance guy. Finally, after 3 hours, we drive away in our Sport. Right at the end, the salesman tries to explain how this could have happened, that someone could have had a deal going on it, and thought it was sold.................. which does nothing to explain why they didn't call John back and say it is still available.

Also, we have a nice set of holes at the bottom of the dash, where they screwed the aftermarket alarm indicator into it. Gee, thanks.

So, the next day we got some nice gift cards and Christmas cards, went to our local dealership, and gave them to John and his manager for thier outstanding efford. You know, since they were cheated out of the sale. We also found our original dealership plate surround from our SD, and took off the one from the selling dealership..................... and removed that dealerships "advertisement" from the back of our new Explorer. While at Steve Coury Ford, we asked if they would like to put their name on the back of it. The manager was all excited, ran to get one of the stickers, and applied it.

We will not advertise for slime. I didn't go into everything that happened at the selling dealership, but lets just say they lie alot. They will not like my survey, and I don't care. Slime is not to be rewarded, and we feel bad enough that we had to buy the vehicle from them. That is all they will get from us. Our friendly, and honest local dealership will continue to get our business.

The tale of two dealerships on opposite spectrums.

• Like 2

Man, Gloria. I have to say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything you did to the selling dealer and for the originating dealer. You minimized the profit the selling dealer made and all the long-term benefits go to the originating dealer. Well done.

Yep, that was a classy move. There are too many slimy dealers out there, so it's good to hear when things work out (as best they can) fr the good ones.

Yeah, if they had really wanted a Fusion, they wouldn't have let one disinterested sales person sway them. It's not about unmotivated sales people, but about the vehicle you really want. Lots of Ford dealerships, many more than Toyota, and no shortage of new Fusions on dealer lots. Right now, I wouldn't have much trouble picking out Fusion of my choice on dealer lot and driving off next day with Christmas bonus cash to boot. $1000 Holiday bonus cash on new Taurus on top of incentives and super low lease rates.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here but it wasn't just one disinterested salesperson.

Ford dealers -

1st one - Had none on the lot, didn't even bother to try to sell another. No offer to follow up, call back or anything.

2nd dealer - Didn't have a properly equipped one on the lot, however, they did have one to test drive. Gave some idea of options, took their phone number, Uncle's email, and my Aunt's email and said he would compile what was available and follow up with them. Dealer never called, emailed or returned phone calls.

3rd dealer - Through AAA's auto buying program. Talked about what was available but quoted a higher price than the AAA rate. Immediately lost a chance for a sale with that.

Lexus dealers

1st dealer - Tried to push a sale in a color combination that my Uncle did not want. He took their info and promised to follow up after searching for what they were looking for. He never called back, just had excuses when he was called, and was just an unreliable salesman.

2nd dealer - Did not have the car, but said he would look into what was available and get back to them. He was the FIRST salesman to actually follow up on that promise. Found the car, got the sale.

I think I said it before, but I bought my Ranger from Ford dealer #2 in 2009 and had a much smoother experience. It still sucks but whatever. It's done now.

You may want to reconsider that Camry because of the new 2013 offset crash tests. The front wheel intrudes into pushing the cabin in at the door hinge pillar causing the steering wheel to move offset to the right resulting in the steering wheel airbag being mostly missed by the dummy's head hitting the left side of the dash. It also caused the parking brake to be pushed into the dummy's leg. The Toyota Camry and Prius V were both given poor ratings.

The new Fusion did very well in the same offset crash test.

Edited by StangBang

Man, Gloria. I have to say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything you did to the selling dealer and for the originating dealer. You minimized the profit the selling dealer made and all the long-term benefits go to the originating dealer. Well done.

Thanks guys !!! I'm getting too old to put up with BS. The slime dealership even pulled our credit, when our lease was already approved by Ford (Ford didn't have to pull it again). They specifically said they wouldn't.................. and did................ and when I called them about it, they said they had to do that, and they are real sorry, and tried to throw the salesman under the bus.................... and ...................... and.................. basically, I was being stroked, and I didn't like it.

John at Steve Coury didn't even pull our credit, he just submitted it directly to FMC.

Slime is not to be rewarded. They did not deserve that sale, especially when it took 3 hours to do something that was already a done deal. It just took them 3 hours to figure out that they couldn't screw me out of more money. Sucks to be them.

• Like 1