My MPG Tracking Blog

nmadole

nmadole, I'm just curious. Does your car have the 235/45/18's. Are they the Goodyears or the Michelins.

The Hybrids without the apperance package come with 225/50/17 Michelin Low Rolling Resistant

tires. If your car (with the app. package) has 235/45/18 and the Goodyear tires that could be contributing to

your lower MPG's. The wider 235 tire has more rolling resistance than the narrower 225's. If you have the

Goodyear tire, that would also add to the rolling resistance as that tire is a softer, stickier tire than the LLR Michelin.

I went with aftermarket 18" wheels but put 225/45/18 Michelin LLR to keep the tire narrower and less resistance than

a wider, stickier tire.

Edited by scott029

nmadole, I'm just curious. Does your car have the 235/45/18's. Are they the Goodyears or the Michelins.

The Hybrids without the apperance package come with 225/50/17 Michelin Low Rolling Resistant

tires. If your car (with the app. package) has 235/45/18 and the Goodyear tires that could be contributing to

your lower MPG's. The wider 235 tire has more rolling resistance than the narrower 225's. If you have the

Goodyear tire, that would also add to the rolling resistance as that tire is a softer, stickier tire than the LLR Michelin.

I went with aftermarket 18" wheels but put 225/45/18 Michelin LLR to keep the tire narrower and less resistance than

a wider, stickier tire.

I have the 18" GOODYEAR EAGLE LS2 (They come on the Sport Package)

This is great. The more info you post the better. I'd really really love to see some hyper mileing on the fusion.

My old civic hybrid was rated 50 mpg on a measly engine. It was so easy getting above 50. With the bigger size car and larger engine on the fusion, I would be pleasantly surprised at similar mpgs.

• Like 1

I have a fully loaded 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE with a little over 500 miles on it now. If you don't mind another set of data points, I drive 13 miles to work (the first six miles are city, the last 7 miles are highway). It was 27 degrees here this morning. It took about ten minutes for the engine to get warm enough that it would switch to EV mode. The Fusion hasn't learned my work place yet; so it doesn't go into EV+ mode near work. Nevertheless, I got 39mpg. On the way home it was 42 degrees F and mixed traffic. The Fusion does know where home is and drives the last minute or so in EV mode. I got 41mpg.

What I find interesting is my numbers are eerily close to Consumer Reports' numbers. I'm optimistically hoping I will see them go up a few more mpg, but that report has me thinking I may have hit the limit. I can tell everyone that even slight hills tend to make the gas engine kick in rather easily. Also, the adaptive cruise control tends to be better at managing my mpg on the highway. I usually lose a few mpg if I drive the car without cruise control enabled. If you all like, I'd be happy to post mpgs for a few days.

Never drove a hybrid until I test drove my FFH 2 months ago. It is very different. On a side note, I was getting a little iffy with the supposed destination learning feature. The car learned (EV+ mode) my home location very quickly, but it took until this morning until it finally learned (EV+ mode) my work address. I have driven to work at least 30 times by now.

Edited by FusionHybrid2013

I have the 18" GOODYEAR EAGLE LS2 (They come on the Sport Package)

I don't know why ford is putting that tire on the hybrid (or any other car). Besides it being an overall terrible

tire in every aspect (see tire rack survey) it's got an 8 1/2" wide tread and a treadwear survey rating of 5.4 out of 10 which means it's wide and soft and that will hurt MPG's.

I had these tires on my Honda Element (OEM tire) for about a month before I bought a set to replace them.

They were scary in the wet and awful in the snow.

http://www.tirerack....odel=Eagle LS-2

Edited by scott029

I don't know why ford is putting that tire on the hybrid (or any other car). Besides it being an overall terrible

tire in every aspect (see tire rack survey) it's got an 8 1/2" wide tread and a treadwear survey rating of 5.4 out of 10 which means it's wide and soft and that will hurt MPG's.

http://www.tirerack....odel=Eagle LS-2

I think that's a big contributor here along with cold weather/winter blend fuel.

I have a fully loaded 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE with a little over 500 miles on it now. If you don't mind another set of data points, I drive 13 miles to work (the first six miles are city, the last 7 miles are highway). It was 27 degrees here this morning. It took about ten minutes for the engine to get warm enough that it would switch to EV mode. The Fusion hasn't learned my work place yet; so it doesn't go into EV+ mode near work. Nevertheless, I got 39mpg. On the way home it was 42 degrees F and mixed traffic. The Fusion does know where home is and drives the last minute or so in EV mode. I got 41mpg.

What I find interesting is my numbers are eerily close to Consumer Reports' numbers. I'm optimistically hoping I will see them go up a few more mpg, but that report has me thinking I may have hit the limit. I can tell everyone that even slight hills tend to make the gas engine kick in rather easily. Also, the adaptive cruise control tends to be better at managing my mpg on the highway. I usually lose a few mpg if I drive the car without cruise control enabled. If you all like, I'd be happy to post mpgs for a few days.

I'm betting there are a few things contributing to the low numbers people are reporting. Weather is definitely one, along with winter gas. Another would be driving style as well as learning how to drive a hybrid for those new to the technology. In addition the learning that the car does as far as your routes and driving style will probably have a decent impact as well. I wouldn't worry too much about magazine reports as they're not getting several benefits that a regular owner would have. I can definitely understand it might be frustrating at first, but I would give it some time and I bet people will be averaging 40mpg+.

7.1 miles is not a very long test. Three stop lights could make a big difference. Depends on the speed limit, how long the light stays red,

if your car is warm enough for EV stops & starts etc. Best thing to do is try to time the lights so you don't have to stop. Going slower or faster

and hitting the lights right makes a huge difference. It's all about playing the MPG game. By spring time with better gas, warmer weather and

as a more experienced hybrid driver you'll be hitting 45 mpg consistently.

Edited by scott029

I posted this in another section:

"Today, my battery started with minimum charge. Adding that the ICE had to also work to warm the car, I got 33 mpg going 60-65 mph. I usually get 38 in the morning. I then did a short hop in the city of 1.6 miles, 1.3 of which was on EV. That gave me over 76 mpg.

We get an mpg reading for each segment that we drive. It has bothered me a little that the fuel use for these is shown in tenths of a gallon. On a short trip, if you actually use .19 gal, it may be calculating as only having used .1 gal, which can throw your MPG results way off by. If the true amount you use is .06 gal on a short hop, it is probably rounding this up to .1, which will make the MPG look very low. This may not be how the system works. Does anyone know? The gallon readings for Trip 1 & 2 are shown to a hundredth of a gallon, so their MPG figures are more accurate."

I know this sounds like bragging, but since the day I got my Fusion I've probably had six stops that got less than a 95% efficiency rating. More than half are 100%. I have a thing about braking. It's why I never had to change my brake pads with 124,000 miles on my previous car, a Pacifica. One of the primary reasons for the benefits of a hybrid (as lolder has stated) is regenerative braking. Work on getting your average to over 95% and you'll see more MPG.