Fusion funky fuel tank....anyone attempted a full fuel?

Bailey151

Call 800-392-FORD. A woman called me today to set a appointment to have my dealer look at my tank. I've been having the same issue since I got the car, I've owned a few cars and never had an issue filling my gas tank to "full". This one has never been to the full line..

Yes, finally, I thought I was the only one taking crazy pills! I have experimented with waiting till my fuel tank hit empty as well and blinking yellow and the most I ever got was 13 gallons. Now, if you look at the Quick Reference Guide that came with your 2013 Ford Fusion, or you can check it out on the Ford Owner website, it says "Your vehicle has a fuel tank capacity of 13.5 gallons (51.1 liters)." When I saw that, I was like, uh.. that has to be a typo so I googled and everybody and and their mother says it is 16.5. Now, if the fuel tank capacity really is 13.5, then that would explain A LOT, 13 gallons, with .5 gallon as reserve makes more sense, than say 13 gallons with 3.5 gallons in reserve. However, if there is a 3.5 gallon reserve I would MUCH rather know that, and have the comfort level of knowing that, rather than guessing that my fuel tank is not doing what it is suppose to do. But if that's not the case, that is straight up false marketing. I don't know what to do yet, I've taken my car in for the recalls and now this potential problem. And since it's not just me and it seems like a lot of people, this might be an actual and not potential problem. I hope somebody can get some answers to this so we can all decide where to take it in to be looked at... but this is the first new car I ever bought and I always feel like I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop from Ford.

I absolutely love my car but I'm now thinking I should have just stuck to Boringville and bought the 2013 Honda Accord.

Edited by FFNewbie

The Energi has a bigger tank than the Hybrid? Dang!

The brochure for the Fusions (including hybrid) mentions a "compact spare", though I don't have a brochure for the Energi to see what is mentioned in there.

The owner manual for the Hybrid & Energi mentions differences for models 'with spare tire' and 'without spare tire' -- so I assume that the Energi does not have a spare tire (replaced by the tire mobility kit) so the space can be used for the Energi battery (and slightly more gas tank space), and that the hybrid still does have a compact spare?

The brochure for the Fusions (including hybrid) mentions a "compact spare", though I don't have a brochure for the Energi to see what is mentioned in there.

The owner manual for the Hybrid & Energi mentions differences for models 'with spare tire' and 'without spare tire' -- so I assume that the Energi does not have a spare tire (replaced by the tire mobility kit) so the space can be used for the Energi battery (and slightly more gas tank space), and that the hybrid still does have a compact spare?

Hmm, the brochure I have shows a "Tire Mobility Kit" on the Hybrid. Same as Charlee, my understanding is that the Hybrid and Energi do not come with a spare. The hybrid does have room for a spare in the trunk, just remove the foam insert at the bottom.

There have been a great deal of inconsistancies in the information about the Fusion (brochures, web pages, etc). I filled out one of the online surveys in August and complained about the information. At one point, the Ford website said in one area that the Sony stereo was available with the SE Hybrid and in another area said it was only available with the Titanium. I received a brochure earlier this week (with the $750 coupon) that contains information that is misleading in some places and flatout incorrect in others- if the 19" wheels are standard on Titanium now, I'll be asking for a $695 credit when my car arrives. ;)

There have been a great deal of inconsistancies in the information about the Fusion (brochures, web pages, etc). I filled out one of the online surveys in August and complained about the information. At one point, the Ford website said in one area that the Sony stereo was available with the SE Hybrid and in another area said it was only available with the Titanium. I received a brochure earlier this week (with the $750 coupon) that contains information that is misleading in some places and flatout incorrect in others- if the 19" wheels are standard on Titanium now, I'll be asking for a $695 credit when my car arrives. ;)

Where does it say the 19" wheels are standard on the Titanium? The online brochure still shows the 18" standard, 19" optional (non hybrid).

There was only one error on the website and that was a picture of the interior with a Sony radio during a SE build and price. Everything else was pre-production pictures from the Detroit auto show that some people misinterpreted.

What else do you think is incorrect?

What else do you think is incorrect?

My brochure says the Hybrid Titanium comes with the integrated dual exhaust tips, and I'm pretty sure that's a 2.0 EB gas engine option only. Hope I'm wrong about this one... So I'll wait until mine comes in to complain :)

There was only one error on the website and that was a picture of the interior with a Sony radio during a SE build and price. Everything else was pre-production pictures from the Detroit auto show that some people misinterpreted.

Well, that's not quite the case either... Ford's web site as recently as October said that the Fusion SE Hybrid would come with HD Radio if you ordered the Navigation system. See attached.

- Troy

post-48993-0-34005600-1357287460_thumb.png

post-48993-0-71261500-1357287472_thumb.png

My brochure says the Hybrid Titanium comes with the integrated dual exhaust tips, and I'm pretty sure that's a 2.0 EB gas engine option only. Hope I'm wrong about this one... So I'll wait until mine comes in to complain :)

I believe that is also a Titanium feature and should be standard on the Titanium hybrid as well. I hope so anyway.

Well, that's not quite the case either... Ford's web site as recently as October said that the Fusion SE Hybrid would come with HD Radio if you ordered the Navigation system. See attached.

- Troy

That's really the same error in a different place. Note that the picture shows a Sony radio and HD comes with the Sony radio. I think they were initially planning to offer the Sony radio on the hybrid but changed it and the website didn't get all the updates.

Just before I got to work this morning the low fuel message popped up. I immediately checked the trip computer, and it said I used 10.2X gallons, so it seems like the reserve is around 3-3.5 gallons. The distance to empty (first time I checked it since I got the car almost 2 weeks ago) was around 20 miles just before the low fuel message popped up. Seems like it is being very cautious with the DTE, but I guess that is better than being stranded somewhere. I will be filling up on my way home, and I will see how much gas I can put in the tank once the pump shuts off. I will not attempt to slow put more fuel in, since I never liked topping off before.

I believe that is also a Titanium feature and should be standard on the Titanium hybrid as well. I hope so anyway.

I hope you're right! I asked my sales person this question today and the order guide didn't show them on the Hybrid Titanium, only on the Gas Titanium.. She also said that doesn't mean it won't have them, so we'll see when the cars start arriving :)

I hope you're right! I asked my sales person this question today and the order guide didn't show them on the Hybrid Titanium, only on the Gas Titanium.. She also said that doesn't mean it won't have them, so we'll see when the cars start arriving :)

from the brochure on the Ford website:

Standard equipment Fusion Hybrid Titanium:

Equipment Group 900A

Includes select Hybrid SE features, plus:

18" polished face wheels with Flash Gray-painted pockets

and 235/45R18 all-season tires

110-volt power outlet

Aluminum brake and accelerator pedal covers

Aluminum front-door sill plates

Ambient lighting

Auto-dimming rearview mirror

Audio System from Sony® with 12 speakers

and HD Radio Technology

Body-color, power, heated sideview mirrors with memory,

security approach lamps, auto-dimming driver’s side,

and integrated LED turn signal indicators

Dual integrated bright exhaust tips

Fog lamps

Ford SYNC with SYNC Services for Traffic, Directions

and Information

Intelligent Access with push-button start (2 key fob transmitters)

Leather-trimmed Sport seats with heated front seats

and driver’s side memory with 3 settings

Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob

MyFord Touch with 8" LCD touch screen and media hub

with 2 USB ports

Rear decklid spoiler

Rear view camera

Remote Start System

Reverse Sensing System

I just continues to amaze me just how much the sales personnel at the dealers don't know about the cars they sell. They should be the most informed.

I just continues to amaze me just how much the sales personnel at the dealers don't know about the cars they sell. They should be the most informed.

Sometimes they have to deal with the same crappy information we have to, or it's inconsistant just like described above.

Otherwise, yes there are sales personnel that don't want to learn or have trouble doing so.

It's kind of hard to learn about a car without actually having the cars on their lot.

That's just my view on this whole situation.

With my dealer this might apply to the non-released or hybrid models. They have over 30 gas Fusions and at least one Hybrid on the lot, so they should be familiar with those. Ford also does in-person training with the dealerships and going over all the features. They're good at answering any questions at that time, as long as the dealer is asking them :) You'll never know if you don't ask.

That's really the same error in a different place. Note that the picture shows a Sony radio and HD comes with the Sony radio. I think they were initially planning to offer the Sony radio on the hybrid but changed it and the website didn't get all the updates.

Sorry, but I don't think it is. While I agree with you that the picture is a non-issue (and in fact Ford's build & price site still shows the Sony radio if you click on the navigation option for an SE Hybrid), the text is a separate error. If it was the same error, then they would have mentioned the HD Radio capability in the radio details itself, not the navigation system details. The more likely explanation for this error is that the previous model year Fusions tied the HD Radio capability to the navigation system. So if you got a Sony radio without navigation, you wouldn't get HD Radio, but if you got the Sony radio with navigation, then you would also get HD Radio. Ford likely forgot that they tied them together in the previous model year and recycled the old text for the current model year.

- Troy