Fusion funky fuel tank....anyone attempted a full fuel?

Bailey151

Glad i found this site. Here is my experience with this issue. Purchased 2013 Fusion Se 1.6 ecoboost oct 2012. .................................................. new fuel tank.

I'll start with I understand the 1.6 has been a bit of a PITA (what 3 recalls) - but which of the recalls make you think it should be replaced? Nothing yet has indicated a fatal flaw (i.e. sludging ). There have been some programming issues, especially the last one...............but..............as someone who's been writing code for 30 years I can understand that one. Matters little how much you test some odd real world situation will find a flaw - it would seem they have fixed it.

Nothing as yet has proven to be a fatal flaw in the 1.6 engine itself.

I don't own the 1.6, but I've fuel economy has been right in the area of Ford's predictions - mid 25s (& this is in crappy winter weather, heat always on, winter fuel, cold). Many others have done worse with the same engine - why? No idea. We can't really make any judgement at this point, need a much larger user base & more data. Same for the hybrid - there are some here getting right @ Ford's numbers. Need more time & data to see how this all shakes out.

A wiper blade replacement? Really going to bitch about that? I have one needs doing, doesn't really take much away from the car........even in winter weather.

I also have the same fuel tank "issue" - what is the implication? It shortens the range - that it, period. There are gas stations all over the place, not really a big deal. It would be nice to get the increased range, but ain't a deal breaker for me (hell, my previous car would go 600+ on 12 gallons - they're all short legged to me)

And all of should not forget the old adage of not buying a first year run - there's a reason for this, there will be production issues. It takes time for them to work all the bugs out of bringing it online. Not excusing Ford in the slightest, it's just a fact - teething pains. Could be worse - anyone remember a car that shattered the rear window when you closed the deck lid. You wanted to be the first on the block with the sporty new Ford (or any make) design? Expect there might be some changes/bugs.

Note: I am not a Ford fanboy, just a realist, the same thing would apply to any brand (pretty much happens on every "fan site" I've been to).

Glad i found this site. Here is my experience with this issue. Purchased 2013 Fusion Se 1.6 ecoboost oct 2012. I have manually calculated mpg since day one. The car has never gotten better than 24 mpg. Its driven 90 percent of time on open hwy to and from my work. 65 miles round trip daily. Never have i been able to get more than 12.5 gallons into tank at any given fuel up. I started descussing this issue with my dealer. After much conversation about issue finally service manger ran some test. He forwarded the info to Ford and they responded with a list of more fuel tank related test to try. They have tested the fuel tank from a to z and still it only produces 88% fuel level when manger hooks computer to it. Ford then responded with try a couple other fusions on dealers lot. Manager takes two different fusions neither of which has the 1.6 engine but both se models to gas station and fills them up with his computer attached. They both read 98% full. Now Ford says replace the tank. Off course this took two days for them to decide and now the tank is on back order im told with know eta when it might be shipped. There is def another problem with some fusions and its the fuel tank. I have never driven any other than a Ford in my 40 yrs. my family all drives ford vehicles and my father rest his sole only drove a ford. But the experience with this vehicle has been awful. I bought because i was driving an 07 fusion oct of 2011 (loved it and it got 29 with i 4 engine.no ecoboost) and had a very bad accident. The car flipped twice and rolled once. The safety features of the fusion saved my life. So i waited for the new fusion and purchased what i thought would be even better than 2007. In two yrs i planned to turn this over to my daughter for her first car. Safe,reliable,fuel efficient and i would sleep well when she is on the roads. But now this car that cost 27000 is not worth ten cents in my opinion. On top of recall issues, ive had a windsheild wiper that had to be replaced, a part on door handle that is also still on backorder and to go along with the fact the 1.6 ecoboost was supposed to get in the 30's as for as mpg and now fuel tank problem i am stuck. Ford still refuses to admit the 1.6 is flawed and needs to be replaced completly. If the new tank ever gets installed and it does not change the issue. I will be filing for lemon law buy back. I just wish they would provide the same loyalty to a customer as my family has to them for several generations. They have lied to me over phone when dealing with Ford customer relations, they lied to dealer and said they were not aware of a mpg problem or fuel tank issue. Even though several hundred other owners are posting same issues and have called them to complain. Not to mention the tanks are on back order for a reason. Said all of this to say call them complain and get it to your dealer and maybe just maybe ford believers can work together and help them open their eyes and get back to what built their company. Customer satisfaction......i will repost when and if i ever get a new fuel tank.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. There needs to be a consistant level of customer relation/satisfaction and it seem like Ford customer relations are still living under an old model of business: that is, deny such problems even if you know they exist to minimize company impact, and also no consideration to past loyality, because they are only one fish in a sea of customers. Well it will come around to bite them in the ass one day, and the issues, mainly MyFord touch and European inspired "world" vehicles such as the 2012 Focus, 2013 Escape, 2013 Fusion will hold their current reliability/quality standing in dead last for years to come unless they start working with customers and taking ownership of these issues to allow dealers to resolve them.

I have owned 20 vehicles in my signature below, all Ford's my entire driving career. Of all the new ones that have been bought new: the combined issues don't even come close to the 2012 Focus and 2013 Escape that I have owned. There is a scary trend emerging within FMC.

Edited by svtenthusiast

On my next visit to the pumps, I'm going to try and keep the car on in accessory mode (engine off, of course) in hopes that I can still read the fuel level realtime data. This will help me to figure out just how much is actually in the tank when the pump goes off, and how much more could possibly go in.

Getting back to more of the initial topic, I topped off my gas tank today from about a half a tank for a road trip I was taking. I left the car on in accessory mode (engine not running) and had my OBDII adapter plugged in so I could watch the fuel levels. Before pumping any gas, the tank level read right around 47%.

I put the nozzle in all the way and backed it out a bit. I watched the fuel level over OBDII, and when the pump clicked off it read 97% (remember at the previous pump it shut off around 87%). I could also hear that telltale gurgling from the fill tube that it was full. I topped off to the dollar and ended up putting in just over 8 gallons for a 98% full reading over OBDII.

Turning the car back on, the dash gauge read over full. I drove probably 20 to 30 miles before it fell below full.

It really seems like it's the pumps that are the problem and not our cars. This pump I stopped at today (a Marathon station) worked perfectly fine.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. There needs to be a consistant level of customer relation/satisfaction and it seem like Ford customer relations are still living under an old model of business: that is, deny such problems even if you know they exist to minimize company impact, and also no consideration to past loyality, because they are only one fish in a sea of customers. ..................................

Sorry but if you think any other auto maker is better you're kidding yourself. And what issue have they ignored? Ignored like they did with Pinto fuel tanks? From what Ive experienced they have taken action on every issue presented - to the point of risking sales by delaying orders so issues can be addressed. That's not ignoring, that taking action.

Read the link below, Ford is aware of the fuel tank issues - at this point they're not certain how to fix it. And once again, it only affects range - not drivability or safety.

It really seems like it's the pumps that are the problem and not our cars. This pump I stopped at today (a Marathon station) worked perfectly fine.

Pump or the fill neck. I'd say it's the fill neck, might be causing issues unless you withdraw it and fill slowly. Like yourself I've had better luck using your exact method. It still drops right off full pretty fast.

For all the thread over @ another forum has some details from Ford -

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/8957-2013-fusion-fuel-tank-filling-issues/page-2

I'm not sure if "dipping below full quickly" is really all that much of a concern. Every car is different in terms of how it reads its fuel level. I could get 300mi to a tank in my GTI. When I would fill it up, it would sit on full for a good 50 miles or so, and by the time I was 200mi in, the tank would read half-full. GREAT, right? Not really.....because after that, it would drop significantly quicker over the next 100mi. Obviously, when the tank was half full, the gauge was probably reading more like 2/3 tank. Didn't have an effect on tank capacity, just the way it read on the gauge.

That being said, I filled up for the first time since the dealer fill up on Friday. Gauge had just turned yellow and it was snowing so I decided to pull into the nearest station and fill up (just in case I got stuck). Took 12.4 gallons until the first click. got another 1.6 gal into it before second click. Then topped off to nearest dollar (another 0.2 gal). so, 14.2 gallons total.

Stayed on full for about 20-25 miles before it started to dip. I reset the trip computer to measure mileage/consumption, and am getting down to another fill up in the next day or so.

I'll report back with results.

I could get 300mi to a tank in my GTI. When I would fill it up, it would sit on full for a good 50 miles or so, and by the time I was 200mi in, the tank would read half-full. GREAT, right? Not really.....because after that, it would drop significantly quicker over the next 100mi. Obviously, when the tank was half full, the gauge was probably reading more like 2/3 tank. Didn't have an effect on tank capacity, just the way it read on the gauge.

I have similar experiences with my GTI too! I can get around 360 miles on a tank if I let it get to E, and it's at about 200 miles when the car says it's half full.

I'm not sure if "dipping below full quickly" is really all that much of a concern. Every car is different in terms of how it reads its fuel level.

I agree with that. As far as I remember, every car I've had seemed to believe the "upper half" of the tank was bigger than the "bottom half". The '13 Fusion may just be a bit different in that respect.

I also think there is something else going on, based on my limited experience so far (2 fill ups on my hybrid).

The first fill up fell below full on the gauge astonishingly quickly - like 3 miles or so (and it was above full as I pulled out of the gas station).

The second fill up got to that point with a more reasonable 20-25 miles.

Based on that and other calculations, I estimate the tank was about 0.5 gallon fuller after the second fill up. And if I worked at it, I could probably have squeezed in a bit more.

In previous vehicles, at least based on "how long does it take for the gauge to drop below full", I was able to get more consistent "fullness" across different fill ups (including a '11 FFH), without really worrying or workin on it.

The '13 FFH seems a bit finicky with respect tot the pump and/or yoru technique.

Still, not a big deal in my eyes.

Well my dealer worked with ford engineer and ran every test possible. They never no matter what was tried were able to get more than 88% capacity into tank. So thats why a new tank hs been ordered. Its on back order though so that tells me they already new there was a problem and the tanks are being checked and replaced before they are shipping out new ones to dealers. Know folks im not just bithing to be bitching. Whether issues or big or small they seem to stick with we are not aware of a problem statement when you call ford service relations. And yes a wiper blade may be looked at as minor but when your wife and kid are driving in a heavy down pour and it breaks on a car than just today has 3400 miles on it, thats a major safety issue for me. If your wife is driving home at midnight from work and fuel guage says fifty miles to empty and she has only twenty to drive home but runs out of gas before she gets there on a dark hwy with no store or house near by, thats a major safety issue. Im just saying when a new vehicle has flaws find out what and why and fix them. Dont just say we r not aware and blow the customer off. It has taken me two months to finally get a serious inquiry done on fuel tank and system and low and be hold when test are finally done. They found that the tank has components that are not functioning properly. And now that tank is on back order. Go figure. There was no known issues for two months and now its on back order. Once again we r just wanting the safe dependable fuel efficient car that way supposedly paid for. Thats all. Not to mention the known recalls.

I have similar experiences with my GTI too! I can get around 360 miles on a tank if I let it get to E, and it's at about 200 miles when the car says it's half full.

Must be a VW thing - my Jetta would go about 100 before dropping off "F", would read over 300 miles to empty @ 1/2..............be lucky if I made much over 200 from 1/2.

I agree with that. As far as I remember, every car I've had seemed to believe the "upper half" of the tank was bigger than the "bottom half". The '13 Fusion may just be a bit different in that respect.

Still, not a big deal in my eyes.

Agree, it seems to be much more of a pear shape, fatter on the bottom. Drops through the first 1/4 fairly fast and the last 1/2 is much longer.

Yep, just annoying............but then maybe I'd be adjusting to any vehicle that's so short legged. Not that it matters, odds are high I'd have to empty about the time the car needs to fill anyway.

................ And yes a wiper blade may be looked at as minor but when your wife and kid are driving in a heavy down pour and it breaks on a car than just today has 3400 miles on it, thats a major safety issue for me. If your wife is driving home at midnight from work and fuel guage says fifty miles to empty and she has only twenty to drive home but runs out of gas before she gets there on a dark hwy with no store or house near by, thats a major safety issue......................

Well anything can fail on any car, has little to do with Ford - many of them are safety issues (pretty much anytime something fails at the wrong time). Haven't seen any issue with the reserve - if anything there seems to be far more than required. Many are saying there's as much as 3 gallons left when DTE is 0. Personally I don't want to test it........gets to 1/4 & I'm figuring out when/where it would be good to fuel up.

That being said, I filled up for the first time since the dealer fill up on Friday. Gauge had just turned yellow and it was snowing so I decided to pull into the nearest station and fill up (just in case I got stuck). Took 12.4 gallons until the first click. got another 1.6 gal into it before second click. Then topped off to nearest dollar (another 0.2 gal). so, 14.2 gallons total.

Stayed on full for about 20-25 miles before it started to dip. I reset the trip computer to measure mileage/consumption, and am getting down to another fill up in the next day or so.

Wow that's a little concerning you were able to fit another 1.6 Gallons into the tank after the first click. after the first click on my current car I can fit about 0.5 gallons before it will flow out.

Wow that's a little concerning you were able to fit another 1.6 Gallons into the tank after the first click. after the first click on my current car I can fit about 0.5 gallons before it will flow out.

That's nothing.....my old Passat would do about 2 gallons (& maybe a tad) due to diesel foaming & the vent system.

For what it's worth, I filled up again yesterday and was only able to get about 0.6 more gallons in after the first click. Different gas station, so pump speed may have been different.

As for updates on the capacity/gauge issues people are having, I'm 30 miles into the tank now and it's still slightly above FULL on the gauge.

My first tank of gas barely lasted a week (dealer supplied). My first fill up ( 2nd tank of gas), cut off at 11.5gal pumped. I'm now 2 days past a week on the 2nd tank. Not only are the fill ups $20 cheaper than my last car, but it looks like I will go for more than a week without visiting the pump. Go hybrid! I can't wait till spring thaw to see if temperature boosts me to the posted mpg!

Hopefully this means my fuel tank is not defective.

As for updates on the capacity/gauge issues people are having, I'm 30 miles into the tank now and it's still slightly above FULL on the gauge.

Watched the gauge like a hawk yesterday. Snapped this pic when it was clearly below FULL.

36.4 miles in, 1.77 gallons used, which is right around 10% of tank capacity. Gonna keep an eye on it throughout the tank to get an idea of the gauge "shape".

1359754288.png

• 2 weeks later...

Had something really weird happen a few days ago...

I was on a trip to a neighboring state and had to fill up. Every time I started to begin fueling the pump clicked off like it was already full. I tried the neighboring pump at the same station. Same thing. I think went a few miles down the road to a different station. Same dang thing. I was forced to barely pull the trigger to get fuel in my tank so I could get home.

I refilled again yesterday at my home fuel station and it worked completely fine. Any clue what that was about??

Angle of the dangle?

Gas station pump auto-shutoffs occur when the nozzle gets submerged in fuel (when the fuel rises in the neck of the tank). If it fills too quickly, or if the nozzle is longer or at a different angle inside the neck than your usual station, it will cause it to shut off earlier than usual.

I wonder if it's possible that the double-door easy-fuel cap thing could be partly the issue. If the nozzle isn't long enough to fully open the inner door, it could theoretically obstruct the flow ever so slightly, which might be just enough to trip the auto-shutoff.

Well two problems with that (neither are safety issues, or major issues)

1. It may be OK for regular day to day driving to have to fill up more often. But on long trips, it would be a pain to have to stop more times than necessary because I can only get 12-13 gallons filled into the tank rather than 16. Again, not a major issue, just an inconvenience.

2. I like to hand calculate (ok maybe not hand calculate as I use an app for that) my MPG. It is extremely difficult to do if you do not fill to full every time. And if the issue is with the vapor lock system (or whatever you would call it) then you really don't know what percentage of full you are really getting to. Maybe one time you get 90% the next 85% the next 92% all depending on certain conditions. Hard to really keep track of what your actual mileage is.

Like I said, neither of these can be considered issues, safety or otherwise. Regardless, they are both inconveniences and it should be corrected instead of having to live with it.

• Like 1

I would also suggest leaving a message for Trina on Ford's customer service facebook page: facebook.com/FordCustomerService. Natasha @ Ford is no longer running this page and Trina is the new contact person. Perhaps if she receives quite a bit of the same inquiries on the fuel tank issue she can have it escalated to proper channels. I sent a message earlier today and she said she will be escalating my concerns to the service manager.

Edited by jinx8402

I complained to the dealer as I could only get 12-12.5 gallons of gas in the tank after gas light was coming on. So the dealer wanted my car back when it was close to empty so they could see how much gas they could get into my tank. I brought it in with 3mi to empty; The lowest I let it get before was 15mi to E. They were only able to get 13.8 gallons in it. They said Ford expects 8-10% left in the tank when it reads E. They are saying it could be a sending unit issue. I have to bring it back once it is empty again so they can recheck it. I'll repost when I know more.

I also brought up (during 1st service) how my Fuel Gauge drops quickly after filling and how I can't get more than 12.5-13 gallons when I fill up from almost E (as reported by the car). They didn't have an answer and are escalating it to Ford Engineering. I'll post back what they say too.

They hasn't heard of this before. But a 2013 escape owner who had the car for a month was in there complaining of the same thing.