Lincoln MKC version of Escape

benlavigne

This is a ''mule'', a modified regular model to test new components without showing them. The new model will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show. It is just to illustrate that there are prototypes out testing.

They could have shown some ''artist's renderings'', but these always end up not looking like the real thing...

A Lincoln version will probably have a different fascia, different seats, I predict 20'' wheels!

Ben

What could the Lincoln possibly offer over and above what the Titanium edition already does? Perhaps a power passenger seat. They might add seat coolers and power tilt steering wheel. Most of Ford's other available tech is already on the Escape. Don't get what Ford plans to offer in a gussied up Escape rebadged as a Lincoln. Reviews of the MKZ already show that the result can be less than the original.

I might buy the power passenger seat tracks and trim though....

Until Lincoln DEALERSHIPS become more than they are, there really is no reason to spend the extra $$ for a name with no substance. At the moment, do to much better financials, many Ford dealers are far and away better than most Lincoln dealerships. The few that are seperate.

What could the Lincoln possibly offer over and above what the Titanium edition already does? Perhaps a power passenger seat. They might add seat coolers and power tilt steering wheel. Most of Ford's other available tech is already on the Escape. Don't get what Ford plans to offer in a gussied up Escape rebadged as a Lincoln. Reviews of the MKZ already show that the result can be less than the original.

I might buy the power passenger seat tracks and trim though....

Until Lincoln DEALERSHIPS become more than they are, there really is no reason to spend the extra $$ for a name with no substance. At the moment, do to much better financials, many Ford dealers are far and away better than most Lincoln dealerships. The few that are seperate.

The Lincoln version can offer all the things over the Ford version that a Lexus offers over its Toyota counterpart. Yes, Ford's Titanium trims are nice, but they are still Fords. And I fully expect the MKC to take things a step further in differentiation from its Ford sibling than the MKZ does. MKZ was more or less a last-minute job. MKC has been developed to have a unique tophat from the beginning.

As for the dealership experience, isn't that exactly where Lincoln has started its brand overhaul???

Without sheet metal changes, glass roof, wood grain interior accents and upgraded leather at the least, the MKC will be nothing more than an expensive Escape and a flop.

I'm betting it will be all of the above. If critics are saying the MKC and Escape are the same because the door locks and handles are the same, that's a win for me.

I expect this to be a highly stylized concept vehicle - not necessarily a pre production prototype. It's a chance for Wolff to show off his new stying direction and to convince the critics that future Lincolns will be distinct. Because of that I predict a totally new upgraded drivetrain (maybe a 2.7L EB with a 8 speed tranny) and some stunning sheet metal.

plans to offer in a gussied up Escape rebadged as a Lincoln

I have a Ford and Lincoln Mercury version of the older style Escape. With the exception of the head and tail lights, the differences are minor. Some minor changes to the instrument panel that might have been included in both versions anyway as the years differ somewhat. Ford isn't going to make major sheet metal changes but probably will make it a high end only vehicle. Might be one or two brand specific colors and fabrics but little else.

What always baffled me is wehat they expected those triangles to do? Disguise the obvious fact that it's an Escape?

Edited by rscalzo

Every Lincoln is almost identical to the ford variants. Head and tail lights and the grill will be it for the exterior. The interior is much easier to change.The low end models won't exist. Color choices are less but the interiors always look much more expensive. Warranties are much better. Never saw the sense of the two lines and two dealerships.

Edited by rscalzo

Every Lincoln is almost identical to the ford variants. Head and tail lights and the grill will be it for the exterior. The interior is much easier to change.The low end models won't exist. Color choices are less but the interiors always look much more expensive. Warranties are much better. Never saw the sense of the two lines and two dealerships.

You're going to have to cite some examples. I guess I don't see it.

Do ya think you could wait until you see it to start hatin'?

Nope.  Been there, done that, drank the kool aid and was lucky enough to finally wake up after two years of the worst owner experience in MANY years.Our 2011 Lincoln MKT was a fine vehicle the day we bought it.  Then Lincoln 'service' had its way.  One problem led to another.  Final straw was 4 to 6 week parts availability for a 1 year old vehicle.  EVERY trip to the service department was another 'story'.  Actually had two Ford dealers strongly suggest NOT forcing them to work on it and return to my Lincoln dealer to work through the troubles.  Great to have a vehicle that cannot be fixed while traveling or at our vacation home.  Got to the point the wife literally begged me to end the frustration and trade it in.  .  Resulting in one more dose of salt on an open wound.  The market had decided Lincoln was as low valued as we found it to be.  Lost MORE THAN 50% of retail value in 18 months.  FAR WORSE than the Ford Flex counterpart.Nope, until Lincoln rebuilds its dealer network to more closely resemble what Lexus, Audi, BMW and Infinity currently offer, it will not matter what kind of leather they wrap the door panels with.    Its a gussied up Ford with a much higher profit margin, lower real value and WORSE service.

Edited by jcthorne

Nope. Been there, done that, drank the kool aid and was lucky enough to finally wake up after two years of the worst owner experience in MANY years.Our 2011 Lincoln MKT was a fine vehicle the day we bought it. Then Lincoln 'service' had its way. One problem led to another. Final straw was 4 to 6 week parts availability for a 1 year old vehicle. EVERY trip to the service department was another 'story'. Actually had two Ford dealers strongly suggest NOT forcing them to work on it and return to my Lincoln dealer to work through the troubles. Great to have a vehicle that cannot be fixed while traveling or at our vacation home. Got to the point the wife literally begged me to end the frustration and trade it in. . Resulting in one more dose of salt on an open wound. The market had decided Lincoln was as low valued as we found it to be. Lost MORE THAN 50% of retail value in 18 months. FAR WORSE than the Ford Flex counterpart.Nope, until Lincoln rebuilds its dealer network to more closely resemble what Lexus, Audi, BMW and Infinity currently offer, it will not matter what kind of leather they wrap the door panels with. Its a gussied up Ford with a much higher profit margin, lower real value and WORSE service.

So what is the point of even posting in a Lincoln thread. You still pissed so you are trying to turn any one away from considering Lincoln now......LMAO

You HATERS are all the same. We get it, you HATE Lincoln, so why mess up all the Lincoln threads. If they Suck as bad as you say, it seems to me that you would be avoiding any Lincoln threads. They must not be worth your valuable time...right???

Edited by All-Or-Nothing

I'm actually glad that we get both positive and negative comments. Don't you think if it was all pretty and positive that the truth would be lost. It's like journalism, you have to do the research and legwork to come up with the truth.

Lets hope Lincoln nails it and brings back sales for the workers sake

Edited by Escapism

Maybe it's just me but I look at them and see the Ford product. A friend has the Lincoln variation of the Edge and to me, it looks almost the same. Certainly not enough difference to warrant the large price decrapincy. Another had the Fusion version and I just didn't see it.

In my case it might be a bit unfair because it's the Mercury version of the Escape and the differences are minor at best. As far as different sheet metal, I don't think there is any difference between the Mariner and Escape.

Everything under the slightly modified sheet metal is the exact same as the Ford product.They load them up with the highest level of trim and rims. That's not worth a different dealership network and a large premium on the price. At least the Mercury didn't make any claims to be all that different but the pricing was the same as the Ford product. Throw in a modified fender... The rest is still exactly the same as the MKT is a Flex/Explorer. Car companies could trim 30 percent of their models and still have the same cars on the showroom floor.

The days of a Lincoln being a standalone car with their unique drive train and body styles ended years ago.Navigator, Continentals from the side is a Ford. Not that different for the others.Maybe it's just my total dislike for the Lincoln look overall.

Edited by rscalzo

So what is the point of even posting in a Lincoln thread. You still pissed so you are trying to turn any one away from considering Lincoln now......LMAO

You HATERS are all the same. We get it, you HATE Lincoln, so why mess up all the Lincoln threads. If they Suck as bad as you say, it seems to me that you would be avoiding any Lincoln threads. They must not be worth your valuable time...right???

No, you completely misunderstood the point of my post. I do NOT hate Lincoln. I really wanted and still want to own one. If only they could build a dealer network to support the level of vehicle they want to sell. My point was that no matter how great the vehicle, without a proper dealer network, they can never succeed and the market is continuing to say so. With the way things are now, there is no value in owning a Lincoln product, not when there is far better value, substance and SERVICE at a run of the mill Ford dealer. Lincoln wants to compete with other high end marks. It takes more than a gussied up Ford sitting on an aging and outdated dealership lot to do that.Build the network and then sell significantly upgraded versions of Ford platforms with unique trims, features and drivetrain options. But only if there is a dealer and parts network to sell and service an upper level product.