MFT w/ Navigation, sending to car.

rkan

After lurking here for a couple of months, and searching every where I could, I am still missing a detail on how driving directions are used when u send to car. Is it just the turn by turn audio instructions, or does it "recieve" into the Nav system as a destination, and then you can start the normal use of the navigation?

MFT doesn't have AppLink, so we can't use the SYNC Destinations app with it ... I don't know if there's any other way to send directions to MFT.

Incorrect. When you start the vehicle, the vehicle prompts you to download the data that is waiting from Sync Destinations. I have a 2011 Edge with MFT/Nav and it doesn't have AppLink either.

Incorrect. When you start the vehicle, the vehicle prompts you to download the data that is waiting from Sync Destinations. I have a 2011 Edge with MFT/Nav and it doesn't have AppLink either.

Awesome, thanks for correcting me! I guess SYNC support is unaware of this, since that's where I got my information :)

how do I get it to give me this prompt?

I registered on syncmyride with the vin number, installed the app on my phone and have destinations entered in it.

Is there something on the car I need to register as well?

I skipped the initial startup where it had some code on it when i first got the car... was at the dealer and I just paired the phone via bt....

TIA

how do I get it to give me this prompt?

I registered on syncmyride with the vin number, installed the app on my phone and have destinations entered in it.

Is there something on the car I need to register as well?

I skipped the initial startup where it had some code on it when i first got the car... was at the dealer and I just paired the phone via bt....

TIA

Not really sure on that. I recall when I first installed Sync Destinations on my phone that it didn't work right away either, so I just ignored it for months. I tried again recently when we were discussing something similar just to test it out and it instantly prompted to download the waypoint data via my phone as soon as the car started. Not sure where the car gets the notification that it has data waiting to download: either through the navigation antenna or via a command sent from the phone when it connects to Sync. You also need to have Sync Services enabled if you do not.

On 2013 FFH. Start the "Destinations" app , create a new location, click on the location and select "send to sync".

In the car connect to "Sync Services". It will ask "Do you want to download the destinations...(or something like that)", say yes. It sends the destination to the nav system. The car does not prompt you to download the data, you have to connect to sync and then it will ask.

The really dumb part is that the app does not let me enter directions while driving either.

Edited by ghent360

The really dumb part is that the app does not let me enter directions while driving either.

Because it's really safe to use your cell phone while driving. It may be overcautious but it's anything but dumb.

If you need to enter a destination while driving use voice commands.

Edited by akirby

So I used Sync Destinations app to send location to my car. Hit the sync button, say services, and it makes call and 1st thing it asks if I want to download "web point" or something like that. I say yes and it downloads to Nav where i have to choose on the screen to make this my destination (and a couple other choices i dont recall), press the button and viola, navigating.

In an attempt to NOT use the MAPQUEST send to car feature, (I could not get it to work) I used the "Send To Car" app by Julien Vanier that I used succesfully on my previous BMW. I open google maps, find my address/location/business, hit that choice on the map, then when details come up, choose "share" from the menu and in addition to the gmail,facebook,skype,etc you have send to car as an option. Hit that, enter make as Ford, and your sync registered phone number and away it goes. Same recall method as when you use sync destinations. Works slick and I get to use the awesome google maps/search instead of the clunky Sync Destinations app, or the useless mapquest.

Lastly I tried to use the Applink to connect to synce destinations app. After trying multiple times and not having the right choice show up on my screen, I did a web search. Found out that the 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with My Ford Touch and Sony stereo does not have the option to use applink! What? One of the newest big vehicle releases with the top trim level and most "advanced" My Ford Touch / navigation systems does not support Applink?! Good move ford, brilliant.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running the Android 4.1.1 "Jellybean". Since I am on Verizon, I should expect to get upgraded to the most current jellybean 4.2, sometime close to the end of the next Mayan calander. And while on a cell phone rant, ....WTF is up with so few phones supporting text reading? (Bluetooth MAP, Message Access Profile)

Edited by rkan

Lastly I tried to use the Applink to connect to synce destinations app. After trying multiple times and not having the right choice show up on my screen, I did a web search. Found out that the 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with My Ford Touch and Sony stereo does not have the option to use applink! What? One of the newest big vehicle releases with the top trim level and most "advanced" My Ford Touch / navigation systems does not support Applink?! Good move ford, brilliant.

I know, right? I started a whole thread on this and posted the idea on Ford Social: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/include-applink-with-myford-touch/ Like the idea if you want Ford to add it. I also saw a few users claiming that it's in the works, but I don't believe it until I see it on my own MFT.

I have the LG Nexus 4 and since it runs stock Android (4.2.1) it doesn't support text access over bluetooth either. I guess I'm going to have to root it and find a ROM that supports the MAP bluetooth profile ..

That's because you're running Samsung's version of Android. The protocol is available with Samsung's Touchwiz software.

Not every version of Samsung's Android OS's have the MAP profile by default either. My Galaxy Nexus doesn't. Doesn't seem like a feature I would use very often anyway though, so I haven't bothered rooting to add it.

Not every version of Samsung's Android OS's have the MAP profile by default either. My Galaxy Nexus doesn't. Doesn't seem like a feature I would use very often anyway though, so I haven't bothered rooting to add it.

Because that is a Nexus phone and it doesn't run Touchwiz. Google Nexus phones run pure Android without any add-ons. All the OEM's (HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony etc) has some sort of "overlay" or added software to enhance the user experience. Any phone with the name "Nexus" will have to be flashed with another ROM. As far as I know there are two ROMs that have the Bluetooth MAP profile. They are CyanogenMod and AOKP (Android Open Kang Project). There maybe more but I have verified that these two ROMs contain the MAP protocol.

Because that is a Nexus phone and it doesn't run Touchwiz. Google Nexus phones run pure Android without any add-ons. All the OEM's (HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony etc) has some sort of "overlay" or added software to enhance the user experience. Any phone with the name "Nexus" will have to be flashed with another ROM. As far as I know there are two ROMs that have the Bluetooth MAP profile. They are CyanogenMod and AOKP (Android Open Kang Project). There maybe more but I have verified that these two ROMs contain the MAP protocol.

Yeah, I know as developer phones they tend to be pretty basic as far as OEM changes go. Good to know about the ROM's should I want to flash it down the road. Complete side note, but do you know if any of those ROMs may improve battery life? It is absolutely abysmal on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm talking 7-8 hours standby time, max.

Yeah, I know as developer phones they tend to be pretty basic as far as OEM changes go. Good to know about the ROM's should I want to flash it down the road. Complete side note, but do you know if any of those ROMs may improve battery life? It is absolutely abysmal on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm talking 7-8 hours standby time, max.

I currently have the same phone (Galaxy Nexus 3G version). Is yours an International 3G version or the LTE Verizon or Sprint version? LTE takes a hit on the battery. Both of these ROMs give you control on clock speeds and other modem controls that aren't available in the stock version of Android. It could improve battery power while in standby. I did run AOKP for the longest time until Google released JB 4.2.1 and now I'm currently running stock. I do plan on trying CyanogenMod once my car arrives since they now have 10.1 available and it's fairly stable.

On a side note, I'm thinking that the Bluetooth MAP protocol must need some additional licencing and that could be why it's not available on stock Android. It's the only explanation why Google has not added it to their phones.

Edited by JSKershaw

I currently have the same phone (Galaxy Nexus 3G version). Is yours an International 3G version or the LTE Verizon or Sprint version? LTE takes a hit on the battery. Both of these ROMs give you control on clock speeds and other modem controls that aren't available in the stock version of Android. It could improve battery power while in standby. I did run AOKP for the longest time until Google released JB 4.2.1 and now I'm currently running stock. I do plan on trying CyanogenMod once my car arrives since they now have 10.1 available and it's fairly stable.

On a side note, I'm thinking that the Bluetooth MAP protocol must need some additional licencing and that could be why it's not available on stock Android. It's the only explanation why Google has not added it to their phones.

LTE version on Verizon. It's not a huge deal usually since I work a desk job and can leave it plugged in most of the day, but just something I thought I'd look into. Thanks.