Couple sues Ford because Escape lemon replacement is wrong color

You get your car replaced for free and want to sue over a wrong color? Do you think it's going too far?

The self-proclaimed "King of Lemon Laws" strikes again. This time with a couple in Wisconsin whose 2010 Ford Escape was in the shop for more than 30 days within the first year of ownership due to transmission problems. The couple hired Vince Megna after Ford replaced their Sangria Red Escape (shown above) with a stone-colored interior with a Steel Blue 2012 model with a darker charcoal-colored interior.
Ford claims that it properly followed the procedure of the Wisconsin lemon law, which Ford's lawyer argues requires automakers to replace the lemon with a similar vehicle, not an exact replacement. The judge presiding over the case compared this color issue to a black Cadillac versus a Mary Kay-pink Cadillac. If the Porters win the lawsuit, they will be able to receive as much as double the price of the $25,000 Escape in compensation as well as any attorney's fees.
Edited by Stankin Lancoln

Ford probably could have sucked it up and found an identical color configuration, which seems reasonable considering there is no extra cost and they did violate the law. But if they don't like it, then they can sell it and buy a car they want.

Edited by BORG

Worse yet, they replaced it with another 2010 Escape! Those things are turds.

Look again--unless there's a typo in the article, Ford replaced a 2010 Escape with a 2012 Escape.

That judge is a moron. He needs to quit the bench, those people are in most desperate need of a bitch-slapping, and Vince Megna needs to be disbarred. Only then will we see justice.

Look again--unless there's a typo in the article, Ford replaced a 2010 Escape with a 2012 Escape.

That judge is a moron. He needs to quit the bench, those people are in most desperate need of a bitch-slapping, and Vince Megna needs to be disbarred. Only then will we see justice.

You're right, my mistake. They are probably trying to get their hands on the much better 2013 model, ha!

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

I have no issues with this couples complaint. If I purchased a black vehicle, then Ford gave a white vehicle, I too would be upset and wouldn't settle. Hell, they've gone far enough along in the Lemon Law process, why stop at the color if you still aren't satisfied. Evidently the couple dislikes the color, that's not what they purchased.

SL: Sure the car was replaced for FREE, but do you think the payments for the 1st Escape were FREE? In the end, the couple had to pay for one of the two Escapes. They simply got the replacement due to the 1st being a lemon.

Borg: I know plenty of people with 2009-2010 Escapes, they all love them and are practically flawless. Just cause you may not like it, doesn't make it a turd.

• Like 1

If I purchased a black vehicle, then Ford gave a white vehicle, I too would be upset and wouldn't settle.

I haven't checked on it, but one of the comments in the article noted that Ford didn't offer the 2012 Escape in Sangria Red.

If you give me a replacement vehicle that is two years newer, I'm not going to bitch about its color. Unless it's orange; that's just an awful color. ;)

I have no issues with this couples complaint. If I purchased a black vehicle, then Ford gave a white vehicle, I too would be upset and wouldn't settle. Hell, they've gone far enough along in the Lemon Law process, why stop at the color if you still aren't satisfied. Evidently the couple dislikes the color, that's not what they purchased.

SL: Sure the car was replaced for FREE, but do you think the payments for the 1st Escape were FREE? In the end, the couple had to pay for one of the two Escapes. They simply got the replacement due to the 1st being a lemon.

Borg: I know plenty of people with 2009-2010 Escapes, they all love them and are practically flawless. Just cause you may not like it, doesn't make it a turd.

Nah, they are cheaply made turds with poor dependability, I've dealt with way too many of them to think otherwise. I've owned one, my family memers have owned them, my neighbors have owned them...decent vehicles when they are new, fall to pieces within 2-years. They are engineered within an inch of heavy-duty paper-stock.

Edited by BORG

I haven't checked on it, but one of the comments in the article noted that Ford didn't offer the 2012 Escape in Sangria Red.

If you give me a replacement vehicle that is two years newer, I'm not going to bitch about its color. Unless it's orange; that's just an awful color. ;)

The Ford should have consulted the couple on a color they approve of that is offered for 2012.

That's the thing, what if the couple totally hates the steel blue color, like you hate orange? I like orange but I'm not too fond of the steel blue.

And just because a vehicle is 2 years newer doesn't always mean it's better. Well, in this case, the old model was a lemon so hopefully the new one is better.

• Like 1

Nah, they are cheaply made turds with poor dependability, I've dealt with way too many of them to think otherwise. I've owned one, my family memers have owned them, my neighbors have owned them...decent vehicles when they are new, fall to pieces within 2-years. They are engineered within an inch of heavy-duty paper-stock.

Will agree to disagree. While I agree they are built sort of cheaply, those I know with them, including my aunt who was over Sat. & Sun., they have been very dependable and no issues with falling to pieces as you put it. To each their own I guess.

Will agree to disagree. While I agree they are built sort of cheaply, those I know with them, including my aunt who was over Sat. & Sun., they have been very dependable and no issues with falling to pieces as you put it. To each their own I guess.

Suffice it to say I was delighted when the 2013 came out (I even own one).

And that is the problem with the court system! If the rules were (or were not) followed, then it shouldn't matter who is representing the case! That $hit pi$$es me off!

But as with anything, many times rules need to be re-evaluated and updated.

Implementing changes in rules/laws is a separate process. It's because of the lawsuits that the rules/laws change.

Not necessarily How would Ford losing this lawsuit or the customer winning lead to a change in the Wisconsin lemon law? It may get publicity for someone who wants to change it but that's all it would do. Somebody has to propose a change and work it through the change process.

My 2011 just turned 2 years old and it's still flawless. It has never been in the shop and doesn't even have a squeak or rattle. As far as build quality goes the new ones might use better looking materials, but I still wouldn't consider them heavy duty. All you have to do is compare a new Escape to an Explorer or Edge and the difference is easy to see.

If I had one complaint at all I find that the transmission is a bit unrefined, but isn't that a carryover item on the new ones anyway? I'm not doubting your experience, but it seems like you feel like your personal negative experience is the same experience that all of us have. My brother and sister in law have a 2005 Mariner with 100,000 miles on it and they haven't had any issues at all.

• Like 1

could be wrong, but I think the customers would get a choice at least as to what color, also, Sangria was discontinued...however, back to my point, I SERIOUSLY doubt they were told thats it, this is the only one , take it or leave it........so, IMO, screw em..........AND they had to sign paperwork before they took delivery...so...?????????????????????????

cheaply made , absolutely, poor dependability, HOGWASH....

• Like 1

The Ford should have consulted the couple on a color they approve of that is offered for 2012.

That's the thing, what if the couple totally hates the steel blue color, like you hate orange? I like orange but I'm not too fond of the steel blue.

And just because a vehicle is 2 years newer doesn't always mean it's better. Well, in this case, the old model was a lemon so hopefully the new one is better.

all the Lemon laws Ive dealt with and witnessed get choices when it comes to color....

Edited by Deanh