My Escape Died on me today!

blockisle9

While taking a left out of a parking lot onto a busy main road my Escape just died! Luckily I did not get T-Boned. I was able to re-start the car after cranking it for awhile, and getting to a parking lot before it died again.

At that point I called Ford's roadside assistance (from a friends phone, because of all days I forgot mine at home!)

While waiting for the tow, the car did restart so I had heat (10° outside) and the check engine light was on. Hopefully Monday they find a definite problem. I would hate to get the car back with them not really finding anything and just clearing the code. It's not good when the car just dies on you when pulling into Trafic or other dangerous areas!

post-39341-0-06552400-1359232480_thumb.jpg

So, if I'm reading this right, you started the car using the remote, then got in and started driving. The car died. If you used the remote, did you push the start button after you got into the car?

Actually, I didn't think it could be driven at all until you physically hit the start button if you used the remote to start the engine. Haven't tried it so I don't know really.

No, I did not use the remote starter to start the car. The dealer said that the stored codes ( a lot of them) indicated it was related to the remote starter and said I must have drove it while the remote start was engaged. And that's whahy the car died. No way!!

I'm probably going to get the car back tomorrow, I'm going to see if what they say is even possible.

I guess I'll wait till pulling into Trafic and get T-boned, then maybe they might believe me

No, I did not use the remote starter to start the car. The dealer said that the stored codes ( a lot of them) indicated it was related to the remote starter and said I must have drove it while the remote start was engaged. And that's whahy the car died. No way!! I'm probably going to get the car back tomorrow, I'm going to see if what they say is even possible. I guess I'll wait till pulling into Trafic and get T-boned, then maybe they might believe me

That would take some unusual pocket chicanery. I guess it's possible that something in you pocket (other keys, etc.) was pushing the start button while you drove off, but I really doubt that. I guess it's a 'wait and see' kind of thing. See what the dealer says. Talk directly to the service manager or the service man if necessary to understand what they think happened.

And don't go out and get t-boned. Voice of experience - it's not good for your health.

Edited by ScapeTom

Actually, I didn't think it could be driven at all until you physically hit the start button if you used the remote to start the engine. Haven't tried it so I don't know really.

That is incorrect. I use the remote start on cold mornings all the time. To use this feature (from key FOB) you must first press the door lock button, then press the remote start button twice. When you enter the vehicle, to exit "remote start mode" and enter "drive mode" you must press the brake pedal and push the engine start/stop button simultaneously.

It should not be possible to drive your car in remote start mode.

I don't know if you mean that while you we're driving you accidentally pushed the door lock button once and the remote start button twice on your key FOB.

Edited by Escapism

Let me try and say this one more time.

I started the car normally, I drove down the road and while taking a left the car just died, when I tried to start it, it cranked like crazy and would not start for a while, and finally started only to die another 100 yards down the road.

The remote start was not used by me, and there was no way the buttons got hit by mistake.

I don't care what the codes show.

Did they consider the possibility of condensation freezing up in the fuel lines? With it working once they've brought it back to the warm shop and giving the fuel lines a chance to thaw makes me wonder. You may want to try getting your gas from another source.

With the inclusion of ethanol in todays blends, condensation in a fuel line is no longer an issue it once was.

That is incorrect. I use the remote start on cold mornings all the time. To use this feature (from key FOB) you must first press the door lock button, then press the remote start button twice. When you enter the vehicle, to exit "remote start mode" and enter "drive mode" you must press the brake pedal and push the engine start/stop button simultaneously.

You do not have to press the brake pedal when you use the remote start. When you enter the vehicle you only have to push the start button. I do this all the time.

You do not have to press the brake pedal when you use the remote start. When you enter the vehicle you only have to push the start button. I do this all the time.

From the manual. Just doing what I'm told. Maybe you don't have the intelligent access key, but I do. I thought all Tiitaniums came with it.

Note:

If the vehicle has been remote started

and is equipped with an integrated keyhead

transmitter, you must turn the ignition on

before driving the vehicle. If equipped with

an intelligent access transmitter, you must

press the START/STOP button on the

instrument panel once while applying the

brake pedal before driving the vehicle.

Edited by Escapism

No, I did not use the remote starter to start the car. The dealer said that the stored codes ( a lot of them) indicated it was related to the remote starter and said I must have drove it while the remote start was engaged. And that's whahy the car died. No way!! I'm probably going to get the car back tomorrow, I'm going to see if what they say is even possible. I guess I'll wait till pulling into Trafic and get T-boned, then maybe they might believe me

There is no way this vehicle could be driven in remote start mode. It won't let you shift out of gear, none of the controls work (wipers, turn signals, gauges), MFT is not lit up, and it says "remote start mode" in the IP display over the top of everything.

If the vehicle has been remote started

and is equipped with an integrated keyhead

transmitter, you must turn the ignition on

before driving the vehicle. If equipped with

an intelligent access transmitter, you must

press the START/STOP button on the

instrument panel once while applying the

brake pedal before driving the vehicle.

And if these steps are not preformed, it would allow the vehicle to be driven away even the short distances discussed in this issue? That would make no senses. Shutting down the vehicle instantly would make more sense. Forgetting to hit the "start" button would be easy. Hitting the brake is impossible before driving away.

What would happen in that case? While I have vehicles that operater from a key fob type system, none have a remote start.

And if these steps are not preformed, it would allow the vehicle to be driven away even the short distances discussed in this issue? That would make no senses. Shutting down the vehicle instantly would make more sense. Forgetting to hit the "start" button would be easy. Hitting the brake is impossible before driving away.

What would happen in that case? While I have vehicles that operater from a key fob type system, none have a remote start.

I have no idea what you mean by "hitting the brake is impossible before driving away".

I have not tried driving the vehicle when it is in remote start by simply pushing the start/stop button. I'm not going to try that. I do what the manual says and I have no problem. All the things you have to perform in order to use remote start are for safety reasons. I depress the brake pedal and push the button to go from remote start mode to drive mode.

I'm starting to think that this vehicle is just to complex for some people. Thank goodness Ford has built in safety features.

Edited by Escapism

I have no idea what you mean by "hitting the brake is impossible before driving away".

I have not tried driving the vehicle when it is in remote start by simply pushing the start/stop button. I'm not going to try that. I do what the manual says and I have no problem. All the things you have to perform in order to use remote start are for safety reasons. I depress the brake pedal and push the button to go from remote start mode to drive mode.

I'm starting to think that this vehicle is just to complex for some people. Thank goodness Ford has built in safety features.

You have to depress the brake to shift the vehicle out of park.

I think reading comprehension is too difficult for some forum users.