Ford January Sales Up 22%, Industry reports January sales

I've been trying to find a site that posts the Charger 'pursuit' vehicles ,but have not found it. I read that Charger averages about 1000 police/pursuit units a month compared to 700 Taurus pursuits. Ford separates police units from the non-police. Dodge combines them.

The Challenger/Mustang comparison was for Jan 2012/Jan 2013. Challenger 946 more units 2551 vs 3497...compared to Mustang which dropped 128 units (3737 vs 3608). The REAL surprise was the Camaro sales surge far ahead of the other two!!!

This is slightly off-track, but I was looking for an opportunity to mention that about 2-3 weeks ago, I started seeing the WSP in new PI's. I know I've seen at least 2 so far. Anecdotal, but WSP patrol units are, to my knowledge, 100% marked and unmarked CVPIs...so nice to see them sticking w/ the PI. Edit that's not an edit: I've seen in the past the WSP having unmarked Mustangs (but not recently) and perhaps the occasional Charger. But in terms of normal patrol units, it's all CVPI and now, PI.

Lincoln now sell fewer cars than Land Rover in the US market. JLR sold over 5000 cars in the US last month which makes it half the size of Audi which is not growing as fast (Land Rover up by over 30%) with lots of new metal coming down the pipe. Ford should have kept JLR. They'd have even helped prop up Ford Europes numbers.

What do you think of this:

According to Autonews.com stats:

Inventory at 1/1/13 - ATS = 16,200

Production at 1/31/13 - ATS = 7,270 ATS

Sales at 1/31/13 - ATS = 3,000 (Incl Canada)

That means ATS inventory at the end of January is now over 20,000

GM probably wasted money developing the Sigma and Alpha platforms. Cadillac is better off with super plush Chevrolets like the SRX, XTS, and Escalade.

These days whenever GM releases an all-new vehicle from its non-Chevy or GMC brands, they don't always advertise it well after the initial launch. Two cases in point are the G8 and now the ATS.

Compare the above with the prominent placement of the Camaro in Transformers as well as the chase scene in The Matrix: Reloaded that featured the first CTS. Their marketing department has gotten really lazy lately.

It's not so much that the ATS is a bad car; by most accounts it's a really good one. The problem is that few people outside of those who actively follow the industry know about it.

The Caddy SRX outsold the entire Lincoln division.

Alpha is a Chevy/Caddy platform that will underpin Camaro and the next-gen CTS lineup so GM will get allot more volume out of it than Sigma.

Diversity is not the problem, it's how to shift the 20,000 ATS that Cadillac now has in inventory..

The award winning ATS doesn't seem to be living up to sales expectation, maybe sticker shock

is hurting its chances as only 20-25% of inventory is base model 2.5 I-4s....

As a linkage to this thread, I would add that Mustang's current inventory is around 23,000

so it will be interesting to see how both companies deal with their respective problems..

Edited by jpd80

Based on those stats, ATS will be a key contributor to Cadillac's sales growth in calendar year 2013. The model appears to be a strong new entry in the compact executive car segment.

Lincoln now sell fewer cars than Land Rover in the US market. JLR sold over 5000 cars in the US last month which makes it half the size of Audi which is not growing as fast (Land Rover up by over 30%) with lots of new metal coming down the pipe. Ford should have kept JLR. They'd have even helped prop up Ford Europes numbers.

Smoke and mirrors,

It will be five years at least before Tata sees a profit on the money already invested to get those sales..

and by that time, they have to invest in the next product cycle,

Ford effectively took the money from selling J/LR, and Volvo and invested it in seven new plants for China,

that will give them a greater return than they would have ever seen from keeping and funding J/LR and Volvo.

Edited by jpd80

As a linkage to this thread, I would add that Mustang's current inventory is around 23,000

so it will be interesting to see how both companies deal with their respective problems..

Wonder if the Fusion start-up at FRAP will impact Mustang production? Any chance Ford intentionally is building up stock?

It's not so much that the ATS is a bad car; by most accounts it's a really good one. The problem is that few people outside of those who actively follow the industry know about it.

Odd. Because I seem to see quite a few ads for the ATS, to the apparent detriment of nearly every other Cadillac. For a while it was the ONLY Cadillac I saw advertised...until recently the ad for the XTS started being shown. Ads for the ATS are pretty cool--show off the driving dynamics (a subtly not-so-subtle take at BMW, I suppose). The XTS ads are sort of hard to "follow" in my opinion: kinda hyper...but you do eventually get the point: It's a "cool" big car: lots of tech, lots of lux, but it's not a boy racer car. It's for affluent grown ups. Or something.

This may be very true, although in one of Ford's latest interviews they stated they have had more Pre Orders for the MKZ than any other car in recent history. Once their supply chain gets it right, we may see very different numbers through out the rest of the year. Course that could be affected negatively if there are any quality issues or if they cannot get this scarcity issue figured out.