Dead Escape Topic #3 - READ THIS

PajamaGuy

I've read the other 2 topics. Just got a call from my dealer - it's important enough to start a new thread.

This morning, I read the postings about NOT having to press the brake when transitioning from Remote Start to Normal Running. I've used Remote Start hundreds of times and ALWAYS have pressed the brake, then pushed the START button. After reading the thread, I started the car remotely, then got in the car and pressed the start button without touching the brake. First time I've ever done it, and it worked.

3 hours later, I remote started and when I got in the car, it shut off (15 min) just before I pressed Start. So I pressed the brake and started the car. 50 feet out of the driveway IT STALLED. OFF. No Engine running at all. While coasting, I pressed start again.

Short story - (I have to go) - the dealer just called, special Service Message # 12059 says pressing the brake then the start button during a remote start IS THE WRONG THING TO DO and will cause unexpected stalling.

I have to run - dealer to give me a copy of the SSM. - more to come...

Grandkids basketball game is over - and driving a Focus sucks!

I hope what the tech said is wrong - I can't wait to read it for myself! It doesn't make sense that doing it the way the manual says to is the wrong way - especially when the ONE time I do it the way the tech says is correct - the car stalls.

Either way, I'll bet anyone there will be another recall to fix it. Ford just can't leave it that if you come out of Remote Start by touching the brake - or NOT touching the brake - the car will be susceptible to stalling down the road.

I should have a copy by Monday...

Damn....guess mine will be going in for the same thing, because I did the same as you this morning after reading here in curosity, remote started it and then pushed the start button without using the brake and was suprised the engine didn't shut off. Went into "drive mode" fine and just got back for the day. Wonder if it will now act up next time I use the remote start? Did it have to do with you allowing the remote start to "time out" the next time you used it?

There is definatly some poor engineering going on here. That's what I need, another thing to add to the list of problems with this vehicle.

Thanks for letting us know. Now I know the document they are providing that was posted by the other guy is covering their butt while they scramble for a fix before they get sued for stalling vehicles.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Here is the document you are referencing as posted in the other thread....no wait

This all just makes zero sense. I have used the brake WITH the start button to exit remote start mode EXCLUSIVELY 100's of times until this morning. We will see what happens now.

post-27929-0-41686300-1359838383_thumb.jpg

Edited by svtenthusiast

There has to be some sort of safeguard to prevent theft when the remote start is used. Normally pressing on the brake will kill the engine immediately.

Depressing the brake prior to starting is a natural instinct using the older key ignitions. The software should kill the engine instantly if the start button isn't pressed with the fob in range and an attempt to put the vehicle in drive it attempted.

to allow the vehicle to be moved any distance is idiotic and a flaw in the system and should be corrected before someone gets hurt. At this rate Ford is going to have to install a checklist in video display.

Edited by rscalzo

Here is the document you are referencing as posted in the other thread....no wait

This all just makes zero sense. I have used the brake WITH the start button to exit remote start mode EXCLUSIVELY 100's of times until this morning. We will see what happens now.

Me too. I use it all the time with no problems. I always depress the brake pedal. Hmmmmm

Anyway, I have never let it time out. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it??

Me too. I use it all the time with no problems. I always depress the brake pedal. Hmmmmm

Anyway, I have never let it time out. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it??

I push the break peddle in too, and I have let it time out quite often since mine is set for only 5 minutes

No problems for me.

Edited by mikeo56

Well, the dealer cleared the Check-Engine light, but there was no corrective action. They assured me there will be further activity on the issue. They believe Ford is trying to replicate the safeguards that exist with vehicles that do have a mechanical ignition key. (As in my 2010 Fusion)

When the car is remote started and the brake is pressed, the car shuts off - and in that sequence, one of the last activities is the de-energizing of the fuel supply solenoid. In most mechanical-key ignitions, the remote start initializes in the ACCESSORY mode. If you don't touch the brake, but insert the key and turn it to ON, the rest of the normally-on systems turn on.

With the electronic, computer-controlled ignition, pressing the brake is "supposed" to do the same thing & kill the car, then with your foot on the brake re-start it in "run" mode. Pressing "Start" without touching the brake skips the shut-off and goes directly to run.

I think most, if not all, remote-start systems employ the safety feature of killing the engine if/when the brake is pressed. I know that when I sold/installed remote start systems back in 1978, it was a requirement that brake or dome light (as in door opening) activation had to cause the system shutdown.

So I'm thinking the system is SUPPOSED to shut off when the brake is pressed that the computer sequence is faulty, and the manual is wrong. Although in the hundreds of times I've remote-started then gone to RUN by pressing the brake and then the Start button, I've never had the stall problem, but the day of very first time I go from Remote start to RUN without pressing the brake, I stall.

But, I don't think any of that is why it stalled.

When it stalled, it acted exactly like I'd run out of gas. Sputtered & quit. Pushed Start and it started, sputtered & quit. Started, sputtered & quit. Then just spun the starter. Several times. Then I put it in park, took my foot off the brake, hit the button to turn systems OFF, and opened the door to really let the systems go off. Then put my foot on the brake and hit the Start button just like a normal start-up. It fired immediately. I drove to the dealer with no other issues (other than the CHECK-ENGINE being on)

When I'd started the car that time it stalled, the sequence was:

1. Remote Start the car.
  2. Wait for wife to get coat, hat, gloves, cell phone, whoops forgot that, maybe I need this, etc.,)
  3. ...about 15 minutes later...get in car
  4. in a timing sequence as normal as counting 1,2,3...
  5. Step on brake
  6. engine stops, just like the remote start elapsed time has ended
  7. push start button
  8. car starts

I think the sequences happened fast enough that the fuel supply cut-off didn't get reset, and the car ran out of gas. And once I completely cycled it off and back on, everything was fine. (But hey, what do I know...there will be more to this subject...)

So it sounds like it was not operator error on my part.

I'm just not sure exactly what sequence I did when mine died???

So what is the correct procedure to do when starting the car with the key fob, then getting in the car to enter drive mode?

To brake or not to brake?

I'm pretty sure I've always braked then button?? I think

This is nuts... Did all this happen after the MFT update ? I'm still reluctant to do it ...I've got my new SD card and the file downloaded on a USB key but my Escape is so good as is, that I dont to mess with it... I'm using the remote start allmost everyday and yes I've been pressing the brake pedal first , then hit the start button, just like the book says... It also shut off after the selected 10 minutes a few times without any issues at all.... I'm not going to "try" not pressing the brake pedal just to see what happens....