Consumer Reports pans turbo engines

Can someone please help me understand how a larger displacement EB V6 of 2.7L would have more power and better mpg than the 2.0 4-cyl? I would love it, I just can't wrap my head around that. Thanks!
I think FB was talking about the NA 2.7, not EB version (he said "250hp" output). He said the CR observed FE for 2.0EB was no better than his old D30 Taurus, so a modern all new 2.7V6 should be able to beat it.

As for the 2.7EB, if it'll ever go into a Fusion, it'll be the top line performance engine, so fuel economy is not a big concern.

I think FB was talking about the NA 2.7, not EB version (he said "250hp" output). He said the CR observed FE for 2.0EB was no better than his old D30 Taurus, so a modern all new 2.7V6 should be able to beat it.

As for the 2.7EB, if it'll ever go into a Fusion, it'll be the top line performance engine, so fuel economy is not a big concern.

At least on the Fusion Titanium 2.0 fuel mileage thread, many are reporting 20-22mpg in combined driving just like CR reported. I do get 22mpg to 23mpg sometimes in combined driving with my 24 valve 3.0 V6. And I don't notice much difference in most winter days except when temp really drops down to arctic range. With temps in 30-35 degree range, fuel mileage differences are not noticeable as I reset my tripometer after every fillup and know what the range is before stopping again. Now I would imagine most Fusion 2.0's once broken in and certain driving style shoiuld give 24-25mpg range in combined driving. I would think a very modern, new 2.7L V6 should be able to beat my 2002 Taurus V6 with 2 more gears and newer technology than what my drivetrain has. So 24mpg to 25mpg should be very doable with even a more refined ride and noise level that the V6 gives over any I4. The Fusion has the style and handling to warrant a V6 option.

Just for comparison, my 2007 Montego has the 205HP? 24 valve 3.0 V6. Not the PIP 3.0 the Fusion had. But my car has the 6 speed Aisin trans in it. Granted the Montego is a bit bigger physically. According to Google, my Montego is 200lbs heavier in FWD configuration.

But my Montego is getting about what the Fusion drivers are reporting.. Highway I rarely can break 27. Bad day 25. Best day ever was 30mpg with 40mph at my back. My typical driving is 50/50 mix. Winter I get 18-19mpg. Summer driving I will get as high as 21mpg. In ND, I can usually get non-ethanol 87 octane, so I go with that where possible.