Has Ford cut back on the X-Plan Program?

When purchasing my last vehicle in 2008 I obtained an X-plan pin on here which made purchasing a Ford the most cost effective option over the other brands. The pin's at that time were readily available. I am now about to purchase a new SUV and was hoping to get an Explorer with the X-Plan which would make it the best priced again. Unfortunately it seems the pin's have dried up. My request as well as all the others get looked at but no one responds. Has Ford cut back the program? I would really like to order a vehicle in the next week or two.

Thanks,

Lee

I got my X-Plan PIN by joining the Mustang Club of America. It costs $50 for an annual membership. You must have been a member for 60 days when you use the PIN. Not clear if that's 60 days until you order or take delivery, but to be safe I waited 60 days after joining before I ordered.

No, you don't have to buy a Mustang. I'm buying a Fusion Energi under the X-Plan. But the first 3 dealers I tried refused to sell an Energi at X-Plan prices, and someone on this board said they had to call 7 dealers to find one willing to sell an Energi under the X-Plan. Your results may vary.

• Like 1

Ford is cracking down on dealerships abusing Plan PINs, you risk loosing your plan pricing if it's discovered that you violated the terms and conditions so I won't give them out anymore because of that.

Edited by BORG

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll have to see what I can get from the dealers for prices. The X-Plan rules say you can't use it if you've already talked to the dealer so I've been waiting. It's too late for me to join the Mustang Club. I have to place an order in the next couple weeks. Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Lee

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll have to see what I can get from the dealers for prices. The X-Plan rules say you can't use it if you've already talked to the dealer so I've been waiting. It's too late for me to join the Mustang Club. I have to place an order in the next couple weeks. Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Lee

If X plan is anything like A or Z plan the dealer doesn't need the pin # until the time of delivery. At least that's the way it works for me. I've never had to give the pin at the time of ordering.

If X plan is anything like A or Z plan the dealer doesn't need the pin # until the time of delivery. At least that's the way it works for me. I've never had to give the pin at the time of ordering.

This is true.. I ordered a Fusion Energi with X-plan, and the dealer didn't ask for the PIN.

Lee

The rule says you must let the dealer know you plan to use X plan up front but that doesn't mean you can't ask the dealer later. Most won't care and it won't hurt to ask. Just tell them you just found out you can get a PIN and see if it's ok. The only real issue is if they've already given you a trade-in price based on a higher retail price so worst case they might renegotiate the trade-in. But you can probably still use the PIN.

Interesting news about the Fusion Energi - I recall reading a while back that the C-Max Energi (but not standard C-Max) was specifically excluded from X plan. I guess that has changed if the Fusion Energi is available. Good news!

Some dealers have decided not to honor X-Plan for C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi, but that is an individual dealer's decision, not Ford's exclusion of these models from the program. I found 3 of these dealers in my region; apm found 5 of these dealers where he is. But there are dealers all over selling both kinds of Energis under X-Plan. Just keep looking.

I'm actually buying a Ford using the X-Plan through an employer, and I have to admit I'm a little bit puzzled as to the precise purpose and pro/con calculations from the perspective of consumers, dealers, and manufacturer (i.e. Ford). I stumbled accidentally across the whole concept of X-Plan pricing while sorting out some benefits issues online and it took me a while to flesh out the details as I talked to dealers. It also took me a while before I felt reasonably confident that purchasing using the X-Plan was, on the whole, a good deal.

My interpretation is that X-Plan pricing was something that provides consumers with the confidence of receiving a good purchase price, though not necessarily the lowest possible price if they looked around more and haggled. Ford would get a reasonable profit on the cars they sold through the X-plan. Dealers would get a commission, but by losing control over pricing they would lose the ability to push the price towards or even above MSRP (and therefore get some more cash out of naive consumers or people buying hot models). As a whole, my interpretation is that the X-Plan generally worked in favor of Ford and customers, but that it puts a modest squeeze on the incomes of dealers who see no upside.

Consequently, I'm not sure I understand why Ford would be cracking down on issuing X-Plan PINs.

On the other hand, these are the inferences of an outsider who doesn't know how the money flows behind closed doors. Is there something that I'm missing?

I'm actually buying a Ford using the X-Plan through an employer, and I have to admit I'm a little bit puzzled as to the precise purpose and pro/con calculations from the perspective of consumers, dealers, and manufacturer (i.e. Ford). I stumbled accidentally across the whole concept of X-Plan pricing while sorting out some benefits issues online and it took me a while to flesh out the details as I talked to dealers. It also took me a while before I felt reasonably confident that purchasing using the X-Plan was, on the whole, a good deal.

My interpretation is that X-Plan pricing was something that provides consumers with the confidence of receiving a good purchase price, though not necessarily the lowest possible price if they looked around more and haggled. Ford would get a reasonable profit on the cars they sold through the X-plan. Dealers would get a commission, but by losing control over pricing they would lose the ability to push the price towards or even above MSRP (and therefore get some more cash out of naive consumers or people buying hot models). As a whole, my interpretation is that the X-Plan generally worked in favor of Ford and customers, but that it puts a modest squeeze on the incomes of dealers who see no upside.

Consequently, I'm not sure I understand why Ford would be cracking down on issuing X-Plan PINs.

X plan is meant to provide Ford's business partners and employee friends and family with good no haggle pricing protected from excess dealer fees and tricks. In exchange for the lower fixed pricing the dealer gets a spiff check from Ford for each sale. X plan used to be below the actual dealer invoice. Now it's about $150 or so above dealer invoice. The net sale price for the dealer after the spiff check is around $600 over invoice give or take.

Ford cracked down on pins because employees and dealers in the past have been caught selling PINs. The rules state that the employee must know the person (it is called Friends and Family after all). Ford doesn't want people profiting from the PINs themselves.

Thanks for the explanation akirby.

Your answer reaffirmed my core understanding of who benefits from the X-Plan, but I hadn't realized the PINs had become a commodity themselves. Makes sense Ford wouldn't want that to get out of hand.

I'm just happy I discovered that I could take advantage of it. Definitely reduced some of the stress and uncertainty.

Thanks for the explanation akirby.

Your answer reaffirmed my core understanding of who benefits from the X-Plan, but I hadn't realized the PINs had become a commodity themselves. Makes sense Ford wouldn't want that to get out of hand.

I'm just happy I discovered that I could take advantage of it. Definitely reduced some of the stress and uncertainty.

The nice thing for me is my salesman knows me (purchased 6 vehicles from him so far) and knows I have access to X plan through my employer. So when I call about a vehicle we never even discuss price. I already know the X plan price for whatever I'm interested in. It simply becomes a question of availability - ordering vs. buying off the lot vs. a dealer trade. Much much easier.

The nice thing for me is my salesman knows me (purchased 6 vehicles from him so far) and knows I have access to X plan through my employer. So when I call about a vehicle we never even discuss price. I already know the X plan price for whatever I'm interested in. It simply becomes a question of availability - ordering vs. buying off the lot vs. a dealer trade. Much much easier.

Exactly...and its "easy" money for the salesperson with very little effort involved