Where is our ECU update?

expresspotato

Hi all,

So we all know the Fusion's have not really been getting EPA numbers (see lawsuit, EPA investigation into Ford, Consumer Reports) etc. I know my flaps are open even when the engine is stone cold if I am not moving fast enough. I know the engine is running rich and just guzzle's it back. I know my engine will idle at 1,200 RPM even when the battery is full and my Chevrolet Optra idled at 800.

How long does Ford usually take before releasing an ECU update for issues?

Edited by expresspotato

The epa estimates are best-case scenarios with a broken-in engine on summer gas. The engineers design the gas-pedal algorithrim to make the engine seem powerful by lightly touching the gas. I think they did a great job. We average over 25 mpg. (2 liter turbo, not babied). If you want awesome mileage, ride a bicycycle. Great job, Ford! Some of you guys are way too hung up on mileage.

• Like 1

The epa estimates are best-case scenarios with a broken-in engine on summer gas. The engineers design the gas-pedal algorithrim to make the engine seem powerful by lightly touching the gas. I think they did a great job. We average over 25 mpg. (2 liter turbo, not babied). If you want awesome mileage, ride a bicycycle. Great job, Ford! Some of you guys are way too hung up on mileage.

I'd say they're hung up on a complete miss-understanding of the mpg ratings.

Note - the EPA is looking into their testing methods for modern hybrids. It seems Ford followed the guidelines & it's the guidelines themselves that are flawed. Gee, what a stunner Consumer McFail got it wrong (again).

Also of note - quite a few experienced hybrid drivers are getting in the ballpark of Ford's estimates.

Most every gas engine idles a bit higher when cold.....helps them warm up a tad faster. Also even though it's modern tech it's ICE still require a "choke" to start - it may be automated but it's the same "dump fuel, little air" for a cold start. At it's heart an ICE is still "suck, bang, blow".

Remind me.....WTH does some Gubmint Motors box's idle speed have to do with anything?

Edited by Bailey151

The grill shutters are not for warming up the engine. They will close then you start to accelerate (usually highway speeds). They are to reduce wind resistance and not used for warming up the engine.

Well the might as well be closed... Air resistance or not the engine bay is no doubt colder with them open.

I just have a hard time believing they created a car that gets worse mileage then the 2010 model year...

• Like 1

My 2013 Fusion just arrived last week. I have spent a fair amount of time driving the 2.0 Turbo Ecoboost in the Escape and I got very good mileage. On a trip from Racine to Chicago, driving with traffic averaging just under 65 I got 36 MPG. The car had about 6,000 miles on it. In suburban stop and go driving I had gotten 26MPG over the course of a few days. I think the engine performs at least as well as advertised, once it is broken in.

21 MPG on the drive home from work today... It was cold outside but that is worse than a regular car. 1,200 RPM idle when fully charged doesn't help.

That's crazy. How far is your drive? This morning I had a 44Mpg commute and this afternoon I had a 43Mpg commute. My drive is about 50km each way.

There has to be something wrong with your cars... I don't know what but there must be a reason. This morning I had the same commute and I hit 46mpg and I wasn't even trying... I was stuck in traffic on the Gardner Expressway but I was coasting for the majority of that traffic jam. The outside temp was -1*C (30*F). I did have the heater on (set to 21*C or 70*F), but only once I hit the highway (about 10 minutes from my house).

That's crazy. How far is your drive? This morning I had a 44Mpg commute and this afternoon I had a 43Mpg commute. My drive is about 50km each way.

Its from Yonge and King st ish until Winderemere and Lake Shore ish. The heater was on and set to 22c. Took about 25 minutes. This car really is a terrible performer when its sub zero and runs the ICE constantly at higher than usual RPM's even if the battery is charged.

Good news is I got 44 MPG on my way home from a tint shop. Car had been in their shop for 3 hours so it was toasty warm.

Edited by expresspotato

Just to throw my two cents in here I can verify that the cold weather/short trips really kill mpg, especially on short trips. My commute work is 6.7 miles, in the morning last week it was 10F, only having the heated seat and radio on I got 28.7mpg. Ten hours later it was 32F and with the same accessories on I managed 36.5mpg. This afternoon it was 50F and I still turned the heated seat on just for comparison and I was able to get 43.3mpg. So there seems to be a huge swing as the temperature drops and even after the engine manages to heat up. After I got home from work today I went to the chiropractor which is about 7 miles away and got 50.3mpg when the temperature had dropped to about 42F.

My one long trip so far was in 36F weather and was about 110 miles round trip, doing 75-80mph probably 80% of the way there I managed 42.3mpg there and 43.3mpg back... considering that this is the commute I will be doing once I open up my business I am very happy with the way the car is running so far.

Yes, in the winter short trips will kill the MPGs. Try your commute tomorrow with just the seat warmer and no climate and see what you get. Maybe turn the heater on about half way to work and see what your mpgs are.

I am a human being and like to exist in a 21c environment. If Ford can't own up to even a conventional car like an Elantra, Camry etc in that respect then they need to do some software tweaking!

But you're right without the climate the fuel economy is much better, I was thinking of buying a 12v ceramic heater to heat the cabin. Probably doesn't provide much output but it could work.

Edited by expresspotato

I was thinking of buying a 12v ceramic heater to heat the cabin. Probably doesn't provide much output but it could work.

Only if you brought a separate battery with it. Otherwise you'd just be running the ICE to replenish the car battery used to power the heater. If that was efficient they would have just put an electric heater in the car to begin with.

Only if you brought a separate battery with it. Otherwise you'd just be running the ICE to replenish the car battery used to power the heater. If that was efficient they would have just put an electric heater in the car to begin with.

It might be a patent thing...

The max I could draw anyways is just 150W which the traction battery could easily provide for a while.

Edited by expresspotato

But you're right without the climate the fuel economy is much better, I was thinking of buying a 12v ceramic heater to heat the cabin. Probably doesn't provide much output but it could work.

LOL....really? You spend a ton of money on a hybrid, bitch about the money (gas) the heater costs you to run, then propose to spend money on a 12v ceramic heater to heat the cabin instead of the car's own climate control so you can save money. I mean, really?

• Like 1

LOL....really? You spend a ton of money on a hybrid, bitch about the money (gas) the heater costs you to run, then propose to spend money on a 12v ceramic heater to heat the cabin instead of the car's own climate control so you can save money. I mean, really?

No one likes being lied to :( Especially about a $36,000 purchase.

47 = 47.

32 != 47.

21 != 47.

47?

No one likes being lied to :( Especially about a $36,000 purchase.

I understand, and feel for you on that front. I just think it's ridiuculous that you're thinking of buying a space heater to heat the inside of your brand new, $36k car because it may theoretically use slightly less fuel.

What's next? This?

redneckac.jpg

• Like 1

I'd suggest contacting Ford Customer Service with your concerns. If they say there's an ECU update in the works, please pass the news on. I'm waiting to see if Fusions w/ EcoBoost engines end up having similar problems attaining the EPA numbers. It seems many 1.6 owners are very unhappy.

Me, I'm waiting for my car to be fully broken in, then I'll see how it all pans out. Less than 400 miles on him so far.

I will say this: Ford engineers didn't cheat, they built a car to ace a test, which it did. The only problem comes up when an owner's regular driving habits deviate from the EPA test cycle protocol. Then MPG drops; in some cases it *falls off a freaking cliff*. I'd suggest keeping the fuel/mileage screen active, and modifying your driving style, to maximize the mileage you get. Not a great solution, but it may help.

Regarding how the cars were engineered to "ace" the EPA test, it kinda reminds me of our education system. Kids are taught how to pass a test (TAKS here in Texas), but that doesn't mean they're learning what they should be. They make a school system look good, but may be relative idiots, outside the scope of the standardized test the school system must appease.

The problem isn't fully with Ford, it's on the test the system has in place. A complaint to the EPA would also be in order.

I am a human being and like to exist in a 21c environment. If Ford can't own up to even a conventional car like an Elantra, Camry etc in that respect then they need to do some software tweaking!

Just a hint - nothing software can do for you at all. Pretty much everything you turn on will cost you mpg, goes for pretty much any car on the market. Adding the ceramic heater will do the same, drop mpg, so good luck with that.

Highest mpg will occur on the days where you run nothing - no heat, no AC, nothing. Same goes for every other vehicle on the market regardless of fuel.

Just a hint - nothing software can do for you at all. Pretty much everything you turn on will cost you mpg, goes for pretty much any car on the market. Adding the ceramic heater will do the same, drop mpg, so good luck with that.

Highest mpg will occur on the days where you run nothing - no heat, no AC, nothing. Same goes for every other vehicle on the market regardless of fuel.

Flaps open and running rich are!

A ceramic car heater is merely 150W... Running the engine at 1,200 RPM to heat the cabin is clearly a waste.