MKZ Mileage Reports

Now that some MKZ's are getting in the hot, eager hands of forum members, I'm sure many would like to see some MPG reports.

My own personal situation is that I have a 50 minute each way commute that is almost exclusively highway (>95%) mostly at speeds 70-75 MPH. I was almost sure I would be getting an MKZ Hybrid in the months ahead, but now I'm not so sure. Not only do I personally prefer the gas model MKZ gauges to the standard Ford setup in the hybrids (see other threads to read me obsess about that), I'm now wondering if the MKZ 2.0 and the hybrid might get very similar MPG for my commute (EPA 33 MPG highway vs what sounds like mid-30's highway from online Fusion hybrid reports). I'm starting to think the C-Max might be perfect for my wife and her 100% around town commute, but the 2.0 non-hybrid MKZ might be perfect for me and my highway driving.

One CleanMPG.com review of the C-Max (which uses the same hybrid system) had some very interesting results:

"As hinted above, this is the area where the C-MAXs Jekyll and Hyde personality arises. Escaping LA with heavy stop and go traffic... the C-MAX was in its element providing a reasonably good overall result of 63.8 mpg... [but] When driving at an actual average speed of 66 mph from San Diego, CA to Phoenix, AZ, the C-MAX Fuel Economy failed to come anywhere near its EPA ratings let alone expectations." (emphases mine).

Here is an interesting graph of speed vs MPG which I wish all auto reviews had:

2013_C-MAX_SEL_Speed_vs_FE.jpg

On some Fusion hybrid MPG boards (again, same mechanicals), there have been some suggestive comments as well:

• "The [other brand midsize] Hybrids do very well Highway, while the Fusion excels in city driving..."
  • "If you [drive] only highway miles then you most likely [will] get similar mpg with... the non-hybrid sedans..."

What kind of driving style do you have? I'm curious how many here will buy 2.0 vs hybrid vs V6? Any way to do a poll on these boards? Owners, tell us your experiences!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, an update from my second fuel up..... I am at 42.4 Lifetime MPG

That's really good. I've been careful driving for a couple days mostly highway and am 39ish. Is the fuel blend in Arizona where you are a summer blend? That may be the difference.

Edited by xgman

Thanks to both of you for the update! Thinking now about considering the hybrid again and just accepting the gauges...

Originally, I was disappointed that the gauges were different on the hybrid; I had sorta fallen in love with the gauges on the non-hybrid

But after going back and driving the fusion and mks (both use the same gauges as the hybrid mkz) , they are definitely growing on me!

Originally, I was disappointed that the gauges were different on the hybrid; I had sorta fallen in love with the gauges on the non-hybridBut after going back and driving the fusion and mks (both use the same gauges as the hybrid mkz) , they are definitely growing on me!

I love the gauges I use empower all the time for hypermiling

Aren't the gauges of Ford/Lincoln hybrids provide some sort of tutor upon request to aid the driver to achieve maximum fuel efficient ?

yes there is a guage that tells you what is causing your MPG gains/loss. I can't remember what that screen is call will look it up.

Ok found it, it's called the Coach screen:

Acceleration

Braking

Crusing

Edited by Serraph

Originally, I was disappointed that the gauges were different on the hybrid; I had sorta fallen in love with the gauges on the non-hybrid But after going back and driving the fusion and mks (both use the same gauges as the hybrid mkz) , they are definitely growing on me!

Yes and I like the car pic center nav display where the car ev functions are shown. It gets habit forming to try to stay on elec. So far carefully driven 250 miles at close to 40.

• 2 weeks later...
After 4 fuel ups I am at 41 and I have been driving pretty conservative

Not sure 45 lifetime is achievable

But keep in mind - your probably have not hit your break-in period yet ..... (usually 2-3k miles) ...

Keep reporting ..... I'll be able to start monitoring my numbers in a just 2 days ....

(If I end up getting 41 - I'll be thrilled!)

:-)

John

But keep in mind - your probably have not hit your break-in period yet ..... (usually 2-3k miles) ...

Keep reporting ..... I'll be able to start monitoring my numbers in a just 2 days ....

(If I end up getting 41 - I'll be thrilled!)

:-)

John

If you do mainly city driving, you should hit 41 no problems as long as you are not punching it off the stop lights and slamming on the brakes. Highway driving can be a challenge, as you will definitely not hit 41 going 70 mph or faster. If you keep to under 62 you may be able to maintain that. I have not gone a full tank on highway though so I don't know exact MPG for high speeds.

Good luck picking up your car John.

• 2 months later...

The mileage on our new 2013 MKZ is pathetic! We have the 2.0 EcoBoost 4 cylinder engine. It has gotten 21.3 mpg after 700 miles. The first time we filled it up (just left the dealership) it showed we would get about 480 miles on a tank of gas. The next time we filled it up it showed like 360. After it got filled up yesterday it showed like 315 until empty. I know they say wait 2000-3000 miles before checking but the figures normally don't change very much (0 to 2 miles per gallon). Unless something to do with this EcoBoost engine really does get better after break in it will never come close to what is stated on the sticker. The sticker on this car states 33 mpg on highway and 22 mpg city. 26 mpg is supposed to be a combination of both. We have around 700 miles on our vehicle. 500 of which is highway miles and 200 worth is city. The city driving (we do) is not start and stop at every block either. It is averaging 21.3 miles per gallon. That figure is based on our trip meter with the last 500 miles of driving on it. It got filled up yesterday and got reset on the other trip meter. It is averaging 21 mpg after 44 miles most of which is once again highway. IMO there is no way this vehicle will ever get the mileage advertised. I really hope I am wrong!

After 4 fuel ups I am at 41 and I have been driving pretty conservative

Not sure 45 lifetime is achievable

We recently took our MKZ hybrid on a 1,200 mile round trip that included much West VA mountain travel. The car had 250 miles on it at the start and we averaged 44.8 for the trip. Break-in period?

I experienced the same with my '13 FFH. Picked up the car w/25 miles on it and took a round trip of 305 miles. Got 45.4 on the way and a very respectful 43 MPG on the way back (I-95/495). Break-in? Doesn't seem to have an effect.

My wife is the daily driver of the MKZ and she consistently gets over 45 MPG back and forth to work.

Edited by hermans

I'm getting 21.7 lifetime on my 3.7 AWD and I'm very pleased with that. That is a combination of (medium sized) city / highway driving. I reset the trip 1 for more resolution on checking my mileage and I can tell you mileage falls through the cellar floor when my wife drives the car. Long moments of idling when it's hot outside so the air condition continues running, mash the brakes at the last second, and the list goes on. I try to tell her that all of these things have a tremendous effect on mileage.

Edited by Stentgraft95

We have about 1800 miles on the Hybrid now. Lifetime average is 36.8 mpg. We got 39 mpg on a trip to Chattanooga last week including 3 times up and down Lookout Mountain. We got 42.5 mpg on a 28 mile trip the other day. When I drive it I normally get 38+ mpg. When the wife drives it (most of the time) she gets 36 mpg. Driving style affects the average. The break in does seem to affect the average, because it is getting better over time. Hot days and airconditioning reduces the average. Driving 75+ mph versus 65 mph reduces the average. To get 45 mpg you would have to be an experienced hypermiler. I am not but I might learn from them. Being lower than the EPA averages might bother some people, but for me in comparison to the Pontiac at 24-27 mpg I am very happy! In comparison to my antique collector cars at 12 mpg ... there is no comparison.

Ok, almost at 4K here with my Z-brid, the heat is definitely taking a toll on my mileage which makes sense, you have to power the AC with something either gas or electricity!! I am right at 41.2 I think for lifetime. Continue to like the car, although it is a bit of a gutless wonder for acceleration. The engine when it activates the ICE is loud, but levels out at higher speeds. I continue to love the technology and for the most part MyLincoln Touch. Whats up with you guys?? How is it going?