Another Auto Company..Detroit Electric..Springs Up

FordBuyer

The company, non-existent for about 70 years before it was revived in 2008 by Albert Lam,former Group CEO of the Lotus Engineering Group and executive director of Lotus Carsicon1.png of England, will set up its headquarters in the Fisher Building.

Wasn't Lotus behind this stillborn "Electric Sports car" (in cahoots with Chrysler):

dodge-electric-sports-car_100184317_m.jp

Edited by Intrepidatious

I just don't see the independents being a big part of the future of EV's. Tesla isn't exactly a glowing success story yet and many others have already come and gone. The initial investment to start a car company and properly support it and market it is simply beyond the means of most start-ups. EV's will make their way into the market in larger numbers, but I'm pretty sure it'll be entries by the established players.

I just don't see the independents being a big part of the future of EV's. Tesla isn't exactly a glowing success story yet and many others have already come and gone. The initial investment to start a car company and properly support it and market it is simply beyond the means of most start-ups. EV's will make their way into the market in larger numbers, but I'm pretty sure it'll be entries by the established players.

I would agree that TSLA is a risky stock, but on a bright note, the Model S is already the best selling EV on a monthly basis in that NUMMI plant is making about 500/week since December, and everyone has a buyer waiting. The previous Tesla roadster body came from Lotus I believe. And the Model S was designed as an EV which gives it many advantages over established players using ICE platforms. There seems to be a question of just how many reservations Tesla has, but it appears to be sizeable and Europe is signing up too. So far so good. I wish them success as America needs another auto company. Seems to me with EV's, it gives the little guys like Tesla a shot, especially with fed loans a possibilty, allthough less available now with budget cuts. So anyway, I doubt if Detroit Electric will get off ground as they probably look for government money, but I wish them success.

I would agree that TSLA is a risky stock, but on a bright note, the Model S is already the best selling EV on a monthly basis in that NUMMI plant is making about 500/week since December, and everyone has a buyer waiting. The previous Tesla roadster body came from Lotus I believe. And the Model S was designed as an EV which gives it many advantages over established players using ICE platforms. There seems to be a question of just how many reservations Tesla has, but it appears to be sizeable and Europe is signing up too. So far so good. I wish them success as America needs another auto company. Seems to me with EV's, it gives the little guys like Tesla a shot, especially with fed loans a possibilty, allthough less available now with budget cuts. So anyway, I doubt if Detroit Electric will get off ground as they probably look for government money, but I wish them success.

Sales and stock price don't matter! Are they making enough money to re-invest and expand? That's the only thing that should concern the long-term backers of these start-ups. The larger automakers have cash on-hand to weather downturns. These start-ups rarely do.

Edited by NickF1011

If you've been following, Tesla turned cash flow positive last quarter, and is expected to at least break even this quarter, and start making profit rest of year. Musk also stated that DOE loan will be paid back five years early. We will see. The big relief came when production got to 400-500/week as every Model S is spoken for and now cash is flowing in to pay suppliers and loan back. So far production and sales have been top heavy $100,000 model, so that has helped cash flow more. Profit margin is supposed to be considerable once they can put start up costs behind them. But again, we will see as each quarter results are reported and see if they jive with Musk's tweets.

Supposedly, Tesla will be adding the Model X, a SUV/CUV in 2014, and later a cheaper version of the Model S. That seems a little sketchy to me as of yet, but anyway production with luck will double with the Model X. I believe it would be first SUV/CUV EV. It was supposed to go into production late this year, but was moved to 2014. Tesla is also building Super Charging Stations in the areas where they are big sellers. I haven't seen one in person as there are no Tesla stores around here. I believe Chicago has one though. I suppose I will see one up in Traverse City this summer as lots of Chicago people summer up there.

The Model S is a great car but unfortunately they don't have the range to make it from Chicago or Detroit to Traverse City, so I wouldn't count on seeing many/any up there. They are perfect for commuting around or across town with no range anxiety, but the supercharger network is the key to making them practical for long distance trips. Who knows when we'll see that in the midwest though. I know there are a few in this area despite there not being a store or service center nearby, but for now the company only has a presence once a year at the auto show.

From what I undersand, if you have a problem wtih your Model S, tech support can usually fix most problems interacting with your onboard software from afar, and it that doesn't work they will have tech repair out within hours no matter where you live. With much fewer parts than conventional ICE vehicle, most repairs don't need a garage and lift. A truly revolutionary company and product. Tesla is also aggressively attacking dealer franchise laws in targeted states like CO and NY, and bringing a whole new buying and servicing experience. Many are predicting Teslas will have 500-900 mile range within 5 years. Don't know exactly how I feel about this, but probably good idea to hold onto present daily driver and see how all this shakes out over next few years. I'm starting to lean towards a C-MAX, but technology is developing so fast in especially hybrids and EV's, that waiting seems best bet unless my vehicle blows up on me. Right now, a hybrd fits my lifestyle the best, but if I move to other place in next few years, EV may be best.

I see Teslas every day. Of course, their headquarters is literally across the street from my office, but also, there are a lot of people in Palo Alto who want and can afford a car like that.

But I am not willing to buy a pure EV when the infrastructure is not there yet. I don't have "range anxiety", I have range sanity. The right answer for today, IMHO, is a plug-in hybrid. With the right-sized battery: the Volt's is too big, the Plug-in Prius has too small a battery, only Ford and Honda have sized this right. And I prefer a Fusion to an Accord.

• 2 weeks later...
With the right-sized battery:

I certainly agree. With only 5 to 10 miles of EV you still need the ICE most of the time while at 50 or so you're spending an awful lot on battery. We are waiting on a C-Max now. I really wanted an Energi as it would have done most local trips on EV alone. But the lost luggage space and extra cost associated with options we didn't want held us back. It will be great when new car platforms get designed around the the batteries in order to optimize space and the options/packages are offered just like standard models - start with a base model and add what you want.

I recently did some $/mi calculations to justify whether or not I had made a good decision on buying the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid instead of the Ford Fusion Hybrid Plug-In. It would seem to be straight forward to conclude, w/o charging facilities on both ends, that when round-trip distances > ~20mi that Plug-in's can't be justified. As it turned out for my particular work-week daily round-trip (35 miles one way), the numbers did not support the additional $7K cost of the Plug-in. However, since the Plug-in's specified ~20mi EV range includes sufficient battery reserve to maintain the Hybrid fuel economy up to speeds of ~60 to 65mph (energy supplied from both electric motor and gas motor), making a PLUG-IN buy decision for circumstances involving shorter round-trips, really need to be made on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by dlramon