Real world MPG for Titanium FWD/Gas grade?

Bearcats98

I am the owner of an '11 Sonata Limited and while the gas mileage is acceptable (given my commute and type of driving), the rattles and namby pamby little things are driving me nuts. I have had to replace the drivers seat twice; once for sagging the second time for "excessive wear" as they wrote it up as on a car with 18K on it. :-S Thats just the most current pain point. I have no doubt this car will not go the distance as the seats were worn and the dye was rubbed off on the "leather". I am sure there can be many examples from xxx manufactures, but my sample from Hyundai stinks.

I have the ok from the wife to start shopping again even though the 'Nata is only three years old. I know the Ti and EPA MPG's dont match real world driven MPG's. I am willing to give some mileage up to get some power back. I do lament loosing my 01 Maxima with row on your own. Really wish car manufactures would mate manuals to premium engines/trim lines and not just the base lines. I dont owe on this car, but its the principle of being so frustrated with the lacking quality that I am willing to shop a car with only 18K on mine. I usually keep mine 10 years at a time.

I know that Ford is working the system for numbers for CAFE; no worries there. Could people give me input or point me to a better place to get MPG input? I have read the gas/MPG on this forum but doesn't seem to give a good enough picture for the 2.0 Titanium.

My drive is 1.6 miles to work (crossing a major highway) each way. Occasional trips down to campus for games or other events. I put about 8K on a car a year. Believe me I know my work commute is horrible and will never yeild anything good specifically but after trying to ride a bike a couple times and almost getting run over I have decided that death is not worth the 1.6 miles of below average gas mileage :-)

Also I am the owner of another FI car and would never think about putting 87 in it. Are people really putting in 87 and still seeing decent performance?

Long winded request over. Thoughts and input appreciated.

My 13 mile commute to work is about 50% city and 50% highway. Other than that my regular driving is probably 80% city and 20% highway. My average has consistently been 21 MPG for the past 3 fill ups. (My signature has a long trip in there so the average is a little higher, I got around 27-28 on that trip btw)

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with the MPG but it's not a deal breaker.

Edited by deadman64

My 13 mile commute to work is about 50% city and 50% highway. Other than that my regular driving is probably 80% city and 20% highway. My average has consistently been 21 MPG for the past 3 fill ups. (My signature has a long trip in there so the average is a little higher, I got around 27-28 on that trip btw)

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with the MPG but it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks! That is what I was getting with my Maxima but I was required to put 90+ in it. You are a little warmer than me, but that would still be acceptable.

My daily commute to work is short and all city (4mi or so). I usually take the long way to make that 10mi so, as I hate to park it just as it's warming up. For that commute, my average is right on the EPA city estimate of 22mpg. This includes some spirited driving - because lets face it, the 2.0L EB is a blast. :)

Even though this is my normal daily cycle, I do put on some highway miles here and there (with regular trips to my hometown that are ~270mi one way). On the highway I've been seeing 29-31mpg for the trips I take and of course this is sometimes lower and sometimes higher. Keep in mind this has been in the MI winter, where it's usually wet/snowy roads, below freezing temps and I have snow tires on the car, so I'd say this is pretty respectable considering the 33mpg highway EPA rating.

With this in mind, the overall average mpg's for my car have been steadily increasing since I got it. I now have 4200mi on it, and the lifetime mpg average is 23.5mpg. Since I put the snow tires on it, it's been 24mpg avg (the most recent 3600mi or so of that 4200mi). I'm sure this will continue to climb as the temperatures come back up and I get the all seasons back on the car. Seems like the EPA estimate of 26 combined should be pretty close, considering my duty cycle and the weather.

Oh yeah, as for fuel type, I've mainly been running just plain old regular (87 octane). I have put a couple tanks of premium (91 or 93, depending on the station) through her, but didn't see any better fuel economy to warrant continued use. There is definitely a bit more power available when running the good stuff (Ford says 9hp and I'm not sure how much torque), but it's hardly worth it for the price premium.

• Like 1

Thanks. I would agree with your overall assessment. Snow tires are a zinger. I get a bit aggravated when you see great fuel numbers and the company is using some swanky tire to achieve that number. I want decent mileage without being limited to special tires.

I also have a tendency (when I am not running late) to do the long drive to attempt to get it up to temp.

Even though this is my normal daily cycle, I do put on some highway miles here and there (with regular trips to my hometown that are ~270mi one way). On the highway I've been seeing 29-31mpg for the trips I take and of course this is sometimes lower and sometimes higher. Keep in mind this has been in the MI winter, where it's usually wet/snowy roads, below freezing temps and I have snow tires on the car, so I'd say this is pretty respectable considering the 33mpg highway EPA rating.

With this in mind, the overall average mpg's for my car have been steadily increasing since I got it. I now have 4200mi on it, and the lifetime mpg average is 23.5mpg. Since I put the snow tires on it, it's been 24mpg avg (the most recent 3600mi or so of that 4200mi). I'm sure this will continue to climb as the temperatures come back up and I get the all seasons back on the car. Seems like the EPA estimate of 26 combined should be pretty close, considering my duty cycle and the weather.

This is my take from what I've been reading. The car is capable of getting EPA mileage. However, YMMV does come into play here. Some people drive more aggressively than others. I don't see a whole lot of people logging in and complaining about poor mileage. People that are pleased with its performance usually stay silent on the forums. Those with a bad experience usually will voice their displeasure.

There seems to be a break-in and adjustment period with these engines so take that into consideration as well. I think the Fusion Titanium will be a great replacement for your Sonata.

• Like 1

This is my take from what I've been reading. The car is capable of getting EPA mileage. However, YMMV does come into play here. Some people drive more aggressively than others. I don't see a whole lot of people logging in and complaining about poor mileage. People that are pleased with its performance usually stay silent on the forums. Those with a bad experience usually will voice their displeasure. There seems to be a break-in and adjustment period with these engines so take that into consideration as well. I think the Fusion Titanium will be a great replacement for your Sonata.

That's kinda what I am hoping. With the Sonata, I can get EPA on the highway even the way I drive (not flooring it, but certainly not putting around at the speed limit either). On the Sonata the instant fuel gauge showed me how to be "nicer". Around town is a total loss for me. As long as I am not pulling 15 I should be ok>

Trying to scour rental places to rent for a couple days to get an idea. Nobody around here has them...yet.

I have a Ti AWD. I have about 8k miles on it. I have consistently averaged about 19 mpg. I do a lot of around town driving, not stop and go, but trip to store, 40-50 mph, couple stop light kind of driving. The mpg dies anytime you touch the gas pedel. Best I have ever gotten was an all highway trip where I got about 24-25 mpg.

Oh and I had a 2009 maxima before and with the premium gas it got about 22 mpg and I drove it a little harder.

Edited by marjen

That's kinda what I am hoping. With the Sonata, I can get EPA on the highway even the way I drive (not flooring it, but certainly not putting around at the speed limit either). On the Sonata the instant fuel gauge showed me how to be "nicer". Around town is a total loss for me. As long as I am not pulling 15 I should be ok>

Trying to scour rental places to rent for a couple days to get an idea. Nobody around here has them...yet.

I'm looking to rent one as well. It might be hard to find a 2.0L EcoBoost model.

I'm looking to rent one as well. It might be hard to find a 2.0L EcoBoost model.

If you can find an Escape FWD with the 2.0L EB it would be pretty similar to drive. Obviously won't hit the nuances, but it would give you an overall idea as the powertrain is very nearly identical.

2.0se awd mixed driving. No true interstate. Plenty of country roads. It has improved since new.

No such thing as a 2013 2.0 SE AWD (if you are in the US). If you have AWD you're a Ti.

Anyways, there's a discussion over at http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/8859-ecoboost-20l-consomption-anyone-has-some-results/ about the 2.0 EB gas mileage if you're interested.

Edited by robd23

My commute is 40mi roundtrip, pretty much a 50/50 mix. Over 3200 miles I've averaged 24.71. Given that's over the winter (climate will whack the mpg) I'd say it's "right on the number" (Ford says 26 avg). I have a single highway run, well mostly highway (about 80%). That was 29.75. During the highway portion of the trip the computer said 34.2 - and it's been pretty close to hand calculated.

Numbers are right @ Ford's estimates = zero complaints, never expected a fuel miser with 230hp.

Like the hybrid it's a combination of things, primarily the driver. Most miss the winter fuel, electrical load (yes for gassers), and they don't realize how to best to maximize mileage. I see a lot of "drive like a granny" = not the ideal for direct injection. Drive the torque - 3,000 rpm - moves well & is efficient.

Not owned a Sonata but driven a couple - like Ford's 2.0L better. Max torque is @ 3K rpm, nice & low = easy to drive around town.

Still adapting to the auto trans, previous vehicle had a computer shifted manual = it could shift faster then you can think :D

• Like 2

Like the hybrid it's a combination of things, primarily the driver. Most miss the winter fuel, electrical load (yes for gassers), and they don't realize how to best to maximize mileage. I see a lot of "drive like a granny" = not the ideal for direct injection. Drive the torque - 3,000 rpm - moves well & is efficient.

I have not read that before. Ill have to fiddle around with that on my current car. :-)

Full disclosure: I HAVE NOT CALCULATED my fuel economy manually.

My Titanium Fusion FWD only has about 750 miles showing and is almost exclusively drivin in city or more accurately secondary road situations (45mph or less).

My instrument cluster so far consistently shows between 18 to 20mpg average. I usually reset at fill-ups. Disappointing to say the least. but I am aware it is still breaking in.

Break in or not, I can't imagine my fuel economy making a dramatic jump in a few thousand miles. I have reset while cruising on the highway and been able to exceed 33mph while crusing steadily, as well as reset on a 35mph cruise and gotten somewhere around 27-28.

If you can avoid stopping, this thing does pretty well. Accelerating from a stop however is a MPG KILLER. I find myself trying to "hypermile" and anticipate lights ahead so I can try to coast through them as opposed to having to come to a stop & then subsequently accelerate from a standstill.

the gas pedal seems to be like an on/off switch. no ammount of moderation or modulation? will prevent massive drops in fuel economy.

it's crazy.

I'm hoping for improvement after a few thousand miles, but am skeptical.

I should note that even with the horrendous fuel economy, WE LOVE THIS CAR!!!

• Like 1

I am quickly closing in on 9K miles on mine...mileage started out around 20-21 (but I have to admit to a fair amount of using the remote start and lots of seat time with it idling while I was learning how all of the toys worked...not to mention the turbo is a LOT of fun to play with)...has been steadily increasing since I reached about 1500 miles and my last tank of gas ended up getting about 24.7 mpg. I reset the lifetime mileage readout around 3K and it currently reads 23.0. I plan to reset it again at 10K and see where it goes from there.

My experience has been that when i get her out on the freeway, she loves it and the mileage starts to soar so long as I am not doing any significant uphill grades. Around town, jump on the gas when leaving a stoplight and she will drink like a sailor. That said, my overall city highway average is about 60/40 or 70/30 in terms of driving time (not miles driven) and I feel that the mileage is about where I would expect.

I have a long trip from Seattle to eastern Idaho and back around mid-April and I am looking forward to seeing the mileage results. I will have 4 adults in the car on the drive out and 3 on the drive back, so these numbers won't directly correlate to my solo commute and around town driving, but I still expect the average to go up significantly.

If you can avoid stopping, this thing does pretty well. Accelerating from a stop however is a MPG KILLER. I find myself trying to "hypermile" and anticipate lights ahead so I can try to coast through them as opposed to having to come to a stop & then subsequently accelerate from a standstill.

Well, that's reality. Anticipating lights and avoiding starts from zero is more efficient. It's just physics. If the Fusion teaches us to drive that way, we are doing a better job of using resources efficiently.

I didn't notice much when filling up on 94 vs 87 to be honest with you other than $10 more to fill the tank. I just go to Petro Canada or Shell as I feel their gasoline is of better quality than Esso, Husky or 7/11. Got 52.6 MPG on a 25 KM trip going 95KM/h on Petro Canada 87.

Edited by expresspotato

Yes, the instant MPG indicator in my Sonata really opened my eyes to what consumes fuel. Granted its a glorified manifold pressure sensor with some other algorithms but the use is the same. I can travel faster and get better gas mileage than my wife and it really due to watching ahead and planning car position accordingly.

.......................... I can travel faster and get better gas mileage than my wife and it really due to watching ahead and planning car position accordingly.

Heathen..........why do you hate 'merica? Pay attention to driving...while you're driving? What are you thinking? :hysterical:

• Like 1