Joey Logano's Little Engine that Could (Almost)

I usually try not to watch NASCAR races, ever since Toyota was allowed in by the France family. However, I channeled through on a commercial to catch the last 6 laps of the Fontana race and saw the Ford Fusion of Joey Logano run down and pass the lead Toyota of Kyle Busch. The amazing thing was the steam pouring out of the relief (engine overheating) as I watched the Fusion 'hold its pace' and continue to lead until the ultimate crash on the last lap. After the race, Joey Logano claimed he was surprised how the engine Temperature was at 300 degrees and yet she didn't blow up. Also, with a national audience watching, it was good NOT to see a Ford blowing up racing a Toyota for the victory. Of course, since the two lead cars (Logano/Hamlin) crashed out for the win, a second Toyota passed the crash and won. (I also noticed the huge sections of empty seats that are camouflaged to prevent notice of their vacancy. Same emptiness in the previous race. NASCAR is not selling out like the good ole days.) Again, the little engine that almost could win, did not blow up, but instead raced its little heart out at the end.

Edited by bdegrand

The situation was kinda rough for Joey.

Hamlin's car was fast as hell, and had fresher tires...worth some speed right there. Kyle Busch's car was class of the field all day, but Joey was close.

Crowding Hamlin allowed him to negate some of the advantage Harlin's tires created, but risked...exaclty what happened.

As for the attendance, Cali races never pack 'em in like tracks back East do. They built a mammoth track with huge seating in a weak market for the sport. Will the situation improve? Likely...but attendance at tthat track has never been impressive.

• Like 1

Not sure what race you guys were watching, but Busch went around both race leaders on last lap like they were standing still. No contest. Logano and Hamlin crashed after Busch passed them. As for racing at the track, too bad the fans don't pack it in as the track offers great racing. I hate Daytona, but racing on that track is fun to watch. Hamlin was lucky because he took a hell of a hit going into that hard inner track wall with no give. Logano is an asshole for saying Hamlin got what he deserved after collapsing as he got out of his wrecked car. Hope Logano is fined big time for that stupid comment.

Not sure what race you guys were watching, but Busch went around both race leaders on last lap like they were standing still.

Because they were too busy worrying about each other and playing tit-for-tat. Both of those cars demonstrated earlier that they could keep up with Busch in the right circumstances.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Because they were too busy worrying about each other and playing tit-for-tat. Both of those cars demonstrated earlier that they could keep up with Busch in the right circumstances.

Looked to me like they both wrecked each other AFTER Busch flew by. If I were Logano, I would start looking for both Stewart and Hamlin in my rear view mirror after this incident and comment afterwards. Not sure how badly Hamlin is hurt and when he will be back, but Hamlin has to be mighty pissed unless he has amnesia. Video replay showed that Hamlin was trying to give Logano extra room, but Logano still slid up into him and again Hamlin was lucky he didn't get killed as he hit inner track barrier head on with back of car going up into air. That is never good sign. Logano should be begging for forgiveness.

• Like 1

Looked to me like they both wrecked each other AFTER Busch flew by. If I were Logano, I would start looking for both Stewart and Hamlin in my rear view mirror after this incident and comment afterwards. Not sure how badly Hamlin is hurt and when he will be back, but Hamlin has to be mighty pissed unless he has amnesia. Video replay showed that Hamlin was trying to give Logano extra room, but Logano still slid up into him and again Hamlin was lucky he didn't get killed as he hit inner track barrier head on with back of car going up into air. That is never good sign. Logano should be begging for forgiveness.

Hamlin was holding his line and Logano got loose. If it were anybody besides Logano, Hamlin would of went up to block Busch as the high line was the fast way around.

• Like 1

Fb you obviously don't understand NASCAR. Busch never drives around those 2 if they don't bang off each other and lose momentum. He even said so in post race interview.

Yeah, yeah, no one ever understands anything except for the inner circle. Busch had fastest car all race and I would say best position at that stage of race was coming off of high side behind a bit and getting lots of momentum. And again, they didn't start smashing into one another until after being surprised by Busch flying by which they completely forgot about since both were pissed at each other from last race. Busch set them up and won with fastest car that day. Even a dumb guy who does DE and has experience gridding race cars knows that much.

Yeah, yeah, no one ever understands anything except for the inner circle. Busch had fastest car all race and I would say best position at that stage of race was coming off of high side behind a bit and getting lots of momentum. And again, they didn't start smashing into one another until after being surprised by Busch flying by which they completely forgot about since both were pissed at each other from last race. Busch set them up and won with fastest car that day. Even a dumb guy who does DE and has experience gridding race cars knows that much.

FYI - The fastest car always wins as it's the one to get to the finish line first. :)

Huh? They outran Busch from the restart until halfway through the last lap. He was several car lengths back until they touched and slowed down. Even the fastest car isn't more than a couple of tenths per lap quicker than the rest of the top 5. If they don't touch he never comes close to them. They slowed down when they touched - then he shot by.

It wouldn't be so bad to be wrong if you weren't so vocal about it.

• Like 1

I'm not such a huge NASCAR fan that I know all of the players in and out, but all I have to say is that if you've only worried about number 2 so much that you aren't watching your mirror for number 3 - then you already lost because you don't keep the big picture in mind.

I don't know the ramifications of being second - but it cost them both more than if they had raced just a little cleaner and finished 1 and 2. I know the goal is to cross the finish first, but when you're that close and don't even cross it second - well there are bigger issues IMHO.

Fb you obviously don't understand NASCAR. Busch never drives around those 2 if they don't bang off each other and lose momentum. He even said so in post race interview.

Exactly, they were side by side for a number of laps which slowed them down enough for Busch to pass. Please see the Busch interview where he admits it! Regarding the Logano comment. Watch the interview, he did not see Hamlin fall to the ground after he got out. He only commented on the crash and referenced it to what Hamlin did to him at Bristol, the week before. By the way, Hamlin took out Logano by smacking his right rear that caused the 2 to crash at the end, but Hamlin's car was turned into the infield. As far as Busch's car being supreme...check the restart when he was 10 car lengths ahead of everyone and Logano had to battle against Edwards and others door to door and then got clear and caught Busch and easily passed him. Finally, as far as Tony Stewart. That idiot needs anger management class or a cage to be secured in until he calms down. He can take out other drivers like Kenseth at Talladega but when someone is in front of him , they should move unto the grass to let him by?Please! He's out of control Stewart finished 22 nd! A real nut!

• Like 1

Exactly, they were side by side for a number of laps which slowed them down enough for Busch to pass. Please see the Busch interview where he admits it! Regarding the Logano comment. Watch the interview, he did not see Hamlin fall to the ground after he got out. He only commented on the crash and referenced it to what Hamlin did to him at Bristol, the week before. By the way, Hamlin took out Logano by smacking his right rear that caused the 2 to crash at the end, but Hamlin's car was turned into the infield. As far as Busch's car being supreme...check the restart when he was 10 car lengths ahead of everyone and Logano had to battle against Edwards and others door to door and then got clear and caught Busch and easily passed him. Finally, as far as Tony Stewart. That idiot needs anger management class or a cage to be secured in until he calms down. He can take out other drivers like Kenseth at Talladega but when someone is in front of him , they should move unto the grass to let him by?Please! He's out of control Stewart finished 22 nd! A real nut!

I think Logano could see Hamlin's car careen straight into inner wall in his rear view mirror. He knew how bad the hit was where there are no safer barriers. And then to say he got what was coming to him was awful thing to say under the circumstances. I would imagine Hamlin is under observation for head and internal injuries or was. Logano is a marked man now. I don't care what the logo is on Logano's car, he screwed up big time and didn't have the sense to have some sympathy for damage he caused which could have been much worse. Busch is not much better in most races, and would have liked for Edwards to win, but Busch had fastest car and best line on track going into last lap and no surprise there.

Huh? They outran Busch from the restart until halfway through the last lap. He was several car lengths back until they touched and slowed down. Even the fastest car isn't more than a couple of tenths per lap quicker than the rest of the top 5. If they don't touch he never comes close to them. They slowed down when they touched - then he shot by.

It wouldn't be so bad to be wrong if you weren't so vocal about it.

You gotta stop swilling beer and eatin cheese curls as you watch the race there Kirb.

I think Logano could see Hamlin's car careen straight into inner wall in his rear view mirror. He knew how bad the hit was where there are no safer barriers. And then to say he got what was coming to him was awful thing to say under the circumstances. I would imagine Hamlin is under observation for head and internal injuries or was. Logano is a marked man now. I don't care what the logo is on Logano's car, he screwed up big time and didn't have the sense to have some sympathy for damage he caused which could have been much worse. Busch is not much better in most races, and would have liked for Edwards to win, but Busch had fastest car and best line on track going into last lap and no surprise there.

I guess the actual interview right after the race where it only showed the crash , without Hamlin stopping, taking off his harness and finally getting out doesn't satisfy you. According to you, Logano saw the whole thing in his rear view mirror as he raced to the finish line for a 6th place finish? C'mon! You either didn't read my comment clearly or didn't see the interview after the race. Whatever!

• Like 1

I guess the actual interview right after the race where it only showed the crash , without Hamlin stopping, taking off his harness and finally getting out doesn't satisfy you. According to you, Logano saw the whole thing in his rear view mirror as he raced to the finish line for a 6th place finish? C'mon! You either didn't read my comment clearly or didn't see the interview after the race. Whatever!

I watched the fricknig race and don't need your review to know what happened. I saw it in real time, and slow time afterwards. Common sense would say if Hamlin's car went on perpendicular line behind you, it was going straight into inner wall with no safer barrier there no matter what. If I were Logano, my main concern would be the life of Hamlin, not some vendetta. Life takes precedence over some mere race. You could even feel the tension from Larry, Larry, and Daryl after Logano make that very sad, inappropriate comment. Sugar coating it because Logano is a "Ford" driver with spurting vapor is ludicrous in the extreme. Logano should be suspended, and probably will after review.

I watched the fricknig race and don't need your review to know what happened. I saw it in real time, and slow time afterwards. Common sense would say if Hamlin's car went on perpendicular line behind you, it was going straight into inner wall with no safer barrier there no matter what. If I were Logano, my main concern would be the life of Hamlin, not some vendetta. Life takes precedence over some mere race. You could even feel the tension from Larry, Larry, and Daryl after Logano make that very sad, inappropriate comment. Sugar coating it because Logano is a "Ford" driver with spurting vapor is ludicrous in the extreme. Logano should be suspended, and probably will after review.

Calm down! I am the one who started this topic about Logano's car and the durability of his car's engine after getting hot at 300 degrees. Its now evolved into a crusade of life taking precedence over a race and that I was sugar coating it because its a Ford. Wow! Relax. Everyone is fine and Hamlin is going home. There is no suspension...maybe for Stewart, but lets all take a chill pill.

SPEED Link - CUP: Hamlin Suffers Back Fracture

A compression fracture at L1, ouch! My bulging disc at L4-5 had me down completely for a week and pretty much kept me from lifting anything heavy for a year. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone, even a Toyota driver. That will probably end his year.

Yes, that is horrible news, but at least it wasn't internal injuries which is what I feared as I watched crash over and over again. If he is out for year, or in terrible pain in car for year, that is very horrible news. My heart goes out to him and his family as he was trying to give Logano some room and didn't deserve that ending to his possible year and even career. What a horrible ending to a great racing day.

In essentially every race, it's explained that two drivers racing each other hard are slower than cars in line, yet Fordbuyer (wrongly) thinks the same Toyota that both Logano and Hamlin had driven away from was faster.

It boggles the mind.

Fordbuyer...as a life-long race enthusiast...you either don't understand at ALL or you're just acting blindingliy stupid to troll the board. I don't see much of a third option.

• Like 1

BUSCH LED THE MOST LAPS and took advantage of his remarkable stroke of luck to pick upicon1.png Joe Gibbs Racing's first victory at Fontana, the only track where the team had never won.

"They forgot about me. I knew they were going to," Busch said. "We had a good run on the top side, and they were messing with each other so bad that they took each other down. I was just hoping I could get by before they took me with him."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. finished second and took over the lead in the points standings from Brad Keselowski of Rochester Hills despite falling from third to 22nd late in the race with a dismal pit stop.

Busch's victory was his 25th in NASCAR, completing a weekend sweep after his Nationwide Series victory Saturday. He ended a 31-race Cup winless streak.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130325/SPORTS03/303250336#ixzz2OagQwTmr

Key words here....Busch led most laps and had fastest car overall for most of race as who is fastest ebbs and flows often as so many variables change, and on last lap Busch had high line which was best place to be, as Hamlin and Logano were farther down the track focused on each other instead of what was behind bearing down on them at higher speed. And again. Busch was clear of both before they came together. Just before that, replay shows Hamlin giving Logano room as again Busch was fastest car where it counted...last quarter mile or so. Both Logano and Hamlin deserved to lose as they focused more on each other than Busch and others, but Hamlin didn't deserve what happened to him even though Hamlin momnents earlier hit Logano from rear soon afte last restart to let him know he was there. And under no circumtances do you say what Logano said after seeing Hamlin behind you lose control in perpendicular line with no chance of regaining control before you stop suddenly. Logano should be susended before Stewart or Hamlin if he comes back takes him out on race track which again would be dangerous.

In essentially every race, it's explained that two drivers racing each other hard are slower than cars in line, yet Fordbuyer (wrongly) thinks the same Toyota that both Logano and Hamlin had driven away from was faster.

It boggles the mind.

Fordbuyer...as a life-long race enthusiast...you either don't understand at ALL or you're just acting blindingliy stupid to troll the board. I don't see much of a third option.

Yeah, when I've gridded real race cars, I make sure each driver and car is safe, give them thumbs up if so, and they don't get out on track if not. And we give them thumbs up when they come back in safe as that is all that really matters in end. I respect the drivers a lot and we work hard to gain the respect back for what we do. I've caught more than a few problelms/oversight/impatience that could put lives in jeopardy. Usually our club races run three straight days from 7 AM to 6 PM without much let up with DE in between qualifying and the races themselves whether they be rolling start fun races or enduros. So it is grueling, but fun if you love racing. Thanks for your imput. In the end, safety is all that matters. And amateurs go at it as much as the pros.

FB take your pansy crap somewhere else. Sure safety matters but these guys have on thing on their mind, winning. Don't act like your little club racers have a clue about what it takes to win a NASCAR race. And don't make it sound like Hamlin was doing the noble thing by giving Lagano room to race. He was up high running his car at its limit as was Lagano, they were both loose at times but Lagano let his car get too loose and drifted too high and caused the wreck. But Hamlin could have lifted just as easy as Lagano. In the end it was a racing deal that happens almost every race. Its too bad Hamlin got injured but quit being so dramatic about it. And BTW I am by no means a Joey Lagano fan and have never really liked him.....but I might start now.

And Tony Stewart. Is a bitch.

Edited by twmalonehunter
  • Like 2

And again. Busch was clear of both before they came together.

Absolutely unequivocally wrong. Kyle was several car lengths back before they got side by side. They touched, slowed down, then wrecked as Kyle drove by. You're only looking at the last hit that caused the wreck but it started way before that when they got together.

• Like 1