The Future of Lincoln (MKS)

Blue Oval Staff

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ford has potential for recovery in the eyes of the public, but the MKS as a flagship seems to depart from traditional Lincoln thinking and most certainly with its chief rival, Cadillac. Cadillac fields both the STS, DTS and CTS whereas its appears that the MKS looks more like a STS competitor and the MKZ looks to take on the CTS. Where is Lincoln's DTS competitor? It would appear that the Town Car would be the appropriate sedan if it were not for the appearance that the TC is on its way out. I still think there is a need for simplistic RWD platform in there somewhere, even if it is to fill a niche. Perhaps the 4.4 MKS with AWD can fulfill that role, but I don't see that finding favor with traditionists.

I don't really get the Lincoln SUVs, though with the odd departure of grille styling. The vertical waterfall grille is a Lincoln staple. This MKX and Navigator grilles do not meld well with the rest of the line-up...even the Mark LT. What gives?

As silvrsvt pointed out, the MKS only becomes the flagship by default since there isn't another model higher at the moment. Supposedly, Lincoln still is working on another vehicle to slate higher than the MKS in the lineup, it just won't be ready when the MKS bows and before the Town Car bows out.

As silvrsvt pointed out, the MKS only becomes the flagship by default since there isn't another model higher at the moment. Supposedly, Lincoln still is working on another vehicle to slate higher than the MKS in the lineup, it just won't be ready when the MKS bows and before the Town Car bows out.

If they do have a flagship model still in the works, I don't really see it as neccesary. All they need to do if offer a MKS-L model slighty stretched, and the line is set. What they do need is a model to slot between the gigantic MKS and the much smaller Zephyr. The Five Hundred/Montego have more rear-seat legroom than any sedan sold today... why would we need any more interior space?

If they do have a flagship model still in the works, I don't really see it as neccesary. All they need to do if offer a MKS-L model slighty stretched, and the line is set. What they do need is a model to slot between the gigantic MKS and the much smaller Zephyr. The Five Hundred/Montego have more rear-seat legroom than any sedan sold today... why would we need any more interior space?

Well, it doesn't necessarily need to be much larger than the MKS to be a "flagship"...look at it in terms of Lexus...

They have the GS and LS which are pretty similar in size, but the LS is obviously the "flagship" model of the lineup.

The MKS really isn't as much larger than the Zephyr as it would appear at first glance either. The CD3's are deceptively small looking in pictures I've noticed.

What they do need is a model to slot between the gigantic MKS and the much smaller Zephyr. The Five Hundred/Montego have more rear-seat legroom than any sedan sold today... why would we need any more interior space?

And that same hole exisits between the Fusion/Milan and 500/Montego? I don't think so.

Personally I think the Lincoln flagship should be RWD, but who knows

I still think that the biggest problem that the MkS is going to launch with is the looks. While it looks perfectly acceptable for what it is, a lower mid-lux sedan, it doesn't look in any way like a Lincoln. If FoMoCo is trying to use this vehicle to change Lincoln's design language, then its unfortunately bland. If its not, than this is a mis-step. there needs to be more character to the design.

As for power, in a world with sub $2.00 a gallon gas, I might have said that a V8 was absolutely essential for its class. However, now that Gas is over $3.00 a gallon and still rising across much of the US, it might not be as bad as it would seem. I believe that if ford introduces a Hi-Po version of the Duratec 35 in the MkS (like the twin turbo, or something equally impressive) then things might not be that bad for them. The thing that people want in a luxury v8 vehicle is low end torque, that strong pull off the line. A twin turbo d35 could deliver that in spades and still cruise with decent gas mileage.

info-autos0601-linMKS1.jpg

Now we're starting to talk.

If Ford/Lincoln puts this out along with an immediately available high-horsepower V8 drivetrain, then I'd say that the turnaround is starting to take root.

Keep the quality up, and I think you'll have a viable alternative to Caddy and some of the other luxury marques.

-Ovaltine

Just proves my theory that Lincoln is now just a Ford Buick.

http://www.buick.com/lucerne/gallery_exterior.jsp

The photo in this artcle seems to either exaggerate the side impressions or i'm seeing things

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../608090407/1148

Artists often take such liberties when doing sketches of upcoming models....huge wheels, exaggerated body creases, oversized head and tail lights.....you're not seeing things....unless you also saw elves and pixies dancing around it too. :kuko:

2008? What a disgrace. This cars needs to be here now, not 2 years away.

In 2 years this car won't look anything special in its class. I consider this bad news.

That's what 99% of the dealers said at the Dealer's Intro Show. This car should be on dealers lots NOW. A lot of L-M dealers might not make it till 2008.

That's what 99% of the dealers said at the Dealer's Intro Show. This car should be on dealers lots NOW. A lot of L-M dealers might not make it till 2008.

I just don't get it, they have everything they need to launch it asap, we should of been looking at this fall or early 2007. Why show a vehicle 2 years and 8 months before you launch it? So by the time it launches people already get sick of the design? That is the problem with ford, they should so pure concepts and cars launching this year at auto shows. Not vehicles like the mks and tell people to The design is nice looking but nothing spectaculaer even in today standards and yet 2 more years. It will look dated in 2 years, because we all know it will get toned down. Plus the rear and and tail lights need to change, the rear end looks about as exciting as an avalon.

Artists often take such liberties when doing sketches of upcoming models....huge wheels, exaggerated body creases, oversized head and tail lights.....you're not seeing things....unless you also saw elves and pixies dancing around it too. :kuko:

Funny you should say that, there was this ahh never mind!

I just don't get it, they have everything they need to launch it asap, we should of been looking at this fall or early 2007. Why show a vehicle 2 years and 8 months before you launch it? So by the time it launches people already get sick of the design? That is the problem with ford, they should so pure concepts and cars launching this year at auto shows. Not vehicles like the mks and tell people to The design is nice looking but nothing spectaculaer even in today standards and yet 2 more years. It will look dated in 2 years, because we all know it will get toned down. Plus the rear and and tail lights need to change, the rear end looks about as exciting as an avalon.

You obviously understand nothing about building cars.

The MKS concept was CONCEPT - it was not built in production shape - there needs to be a lot of work done to make it fit the price point, pass all gov't tests, be "warranteeable" and simply the design needs to be finished; there are also all the mundane decisions to be made, like options packaging etc.

Like I said in another thread about this theme - any .. I repeat ANY - car company needs 18 months to turn a concept to a production car, unless they made the concept just to tease, while the production model was already greenlighted (See mustang concept).

It does not matter whether it is Ford, Toyota or Honda - it will take about a year and a half ... MKS was just greenlighted .. count how many months are left to "spring 2008" ... yup - 18

I love crybabies - there is no way - short of importing something from abroad - to bring an all new model to lots in less than a year or so. (Even importing is questionable, because of the different crash and emissions requirements - and any structural change requires engineeting time, supplier lead ttime, testig time, and tooling time - together about 12 months)

Now, you could criticize Ford for the fact that the concept was shown in January, and now is August, and MKS only now got greenlighted. That is a viable criticism - it is 8 months later. However in this case Ford was forced to take this time, because the reaction to the NAIAS 06 MKS Concept was less than stellar - people criticized the design for being derivative, too japanese, and simply balnd. We migth disagree, but Ford felt there was enough negative reaction to take the MKS back to the drawing board and chage it - this meant more desining time, focus groups, analyst presentations, and business plan presentation. It would have been better had Ford presented a killer product the first time around - and could have greenlighted the product right after NAIAS ... we would have been only some 10 months away from the production version. Unfortunately this is "should have, would have, could have" speak, and we all kno the value of that.

Igor

Edited by igor

Did anyone else notice it's missing the fender vent thing.

I did .. that is wwhy peope thought this was a sketch of the final prduction version - but close examination reveals, that there are no other changes made to the sketch from the NAIAS 06 car.

Igor

Nice try but the MKS looks nothing like that POS.

Nice try? At what?

Look at the side view of the Buick, (3rd picture from the left, top row). It's quite remarkable how similar the two cars are. Not saying I like or dislike either car, just evidence that Ford is moving Lincoln down to Buick level. Giving up on fighting Caddy. Maybe assigning Jag that role?

My take is that if this Lincoln MKS would have been standard REAR WHEEL DRIVE with this particular look, the debate on what is and what should be the Lincoln flagship would be a moot point. I think the MKS is a handsome car no doubt and I don't really think the Panther fans would squabble over unibody if they were just RWD. The Town Car could have faded with less controversy. Ford will not answer its Panther fans as to what we are expected to do. Are we to expect a RWD sedan or are we expected to accept these cars? I think with the Panther guys, you have a sentiment that Ford is ignoring their wants or assuming that buyers will come to accept the 500/Montego/MKS.

Ford seems to want the RWD exodus into these newer Volvo-derived sedans and I don't see that happening to the core enthusiasts. Ford will surrender these buyers to the 300 and Charger...or the Impala if it delivers on the V8/RWD rumors.

Nice try? At what?

Look at the side view of the Buick, (3rd picture from the left, top row). It's quite remarkable how similar the two cars are. Not saying I like or dislike either car, just evidence that Ford is moving Lincoln down to Buick level. Giving up on fighting Caddy. Maybe assigning Jag that role?

I actually see Acura styling cues in the profile of the MKS as well as the taper to the front and the high rear deck.