The Future of Lincoln (MKS)

Blue Oval Staff

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: "It looks far less Japanese," said Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific in Southfield, who has seen the new Lincoln. He said it could prove a big hit for Ford if offered with the right combination of price and powertrain.

This is what I wanted to hear. The design language of the concept car said something somewhere between "Acura", "Hyundai", and "Lexus", but barely a whisper of "Lincoln" or "American".

As much as I hate to give too much credit to Chrysler, I think its 300/C helped Americans realize that they could fall in love again with a distinctly American design: bold, independent, big, and romantic. The Mustang and the Cadillac brand also fall into this category. I would love to see Lincoln run with this idea.

Yep...I see a little Infiniti in there too now that you mention it. That's why I so wish that it was RWD...but the AWD might be enough to sway some to it, especially with a nice V8.

IT is not the only FWD/AWD of its competitors: Lexus LS, Acura TL and Audi A6 are all FWD/AWD - there is definitely maket for this powertrain vehicles of this size.

Igor

Quote: "It looks far less Japanese," said Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific in Southfield, who has seen the new Lincoln.

I noticed that comment in the article, too. I hope Hall is right, and they have tweaked the appearance of the concept, and made it less generic. My fingers are crossed, Ford needs to deliver solid product in all of these upcoming intro's, and I think Fields realizes it, even if some of the drone lifers do not.

I don't think we've seen much of Horbury's influence thus far, perhaps this will be the start.

Edited by Harley Lover

I think the designers probably increased the size of the grille, and gave the MKS the 'knife-edge' fenders that the Fusion, Milan, etc. have. They may also have worked on the C pillar shape which has certain Aston cues to it (as well as something of a vague 'importishness'). Hopefully they have kept the MKS's well balanced use of lines and curves, which while subtle, give the vehicle more 'class' than the 5-Series and STS.

This also will slot in, price wise, at the top end of the Zep. There will not be a large price gap between the MKZ and MKS. There might be a price gap, because the MKS is going to come with standard everything, except the usual sunroof and rear seat DVD systems that some people just don't want.

Here's a quickie on the MK S

MKSrev1.jpg

info-autos0601-linMKS1.jpg

The concept for a unique Lincoln high-performance AWD Haldex system sedan is to eliminate the FWD weight bias and overhang by turning the engine/transmission unit 180°. If Haldex components could be re-worked along with the front of the 500 monococque shell. . . . I know, it's a silly idea, it's just that the Haldex system works.

I think the designers probably increased the size of the grille, and gave the MKS the 'knife-edge' fenders that the Fusion, Milan, etc. have. They may also have worked on the C pillar shape which has certain Aston cues to it (as well as something of a vague 'importishness'). Hopefully they have kept the MKS's well balanced use of lines and curves, which while subtle, give the vehicle more 'class' than the 5-Series and STS.

This also will slot in, price wise, at the top end of the Zep. There will not be a large price gap between the MKZ and MKS. There might be a price gap, because the MKS is going to come with standard everything, except the usual sunroof and rear seat DVD systems that some people just don't want.

Richie, don't take this as a challenge but more of an inquiry what is your basis for price differential? Using what you perceive to be the top out price of the MKZ - vs - MKS (knowing of course both are unannounced) do I understand you to believe the MKS starts where the MKZ tops out or do you anticipate some overlaping. While pricing is still to come I would have thought the MKS would exceed by thousands in seperation.

Richie, don't take this as a challenge but more of an inquiry what is your basis for price differential? Using what you perceive to be the top out price of the MKZ - vs - MKS (knowing of course both are unannounced) do I understand you to believe the MKS starts where the MKZ tops out or do you anticipate some overlaping. While pricing is still to come I would have thought the MKS would exceed by thousands in seperation.

MKZ will top out at about $35-36k, the MKS will probably start between $36k and $37k. Why? Because Ford learned from the disastrous Continental upmarket push, as well as the LS fiasco, that pricing must be rationalized, it needs to make sense. Putting lots of goodies in, essentially, a $27k car (median D3 price), and charging $40k for it base, does not work.

The MKS will be a heckuva deal.

IIRC, the A6, which compares with the MKS in price is FWD, with available AWD.

I guess my point is that the new platforms that are AWD capable are hardly the same FWD/AWD systems of the past.

Many should simply just be called AWD as power can be routed front to back as needed (as well as left to right) or controlled to the manufacturers desired specs.

You obviously understand nothing about building cars.

The MKS concept was CONCEPT - it was not built in production shape - there needs to be a lot of work done to make it fit the price point, pass all gov't tests, be "warranteeable" and simply the design needs to be finished; there are also all the mundane decisions to be made, like options packaging etc.

Like I said in another thread about this theme - any .. I repeat ANY - car company needs 18 months to turn a concept to a production car, unless they made the concept just to tease, while the production model was already greenlighted (See mustang concept).

It does not matter whether it is Ford, Toyota or Honda - it will take about a year and a half ... MKS was just greenlighted .. count how many months are left to "spring 2008" ... yup - 18

I love crybabies - there is no way - short of importing something from abroad - to bring an all new model to lots in less than a year or so. (Even importing is questionable, because of the different crash and emissions requirements - and any structural change requires engineeting time, supplier lead ttime, testig time, and tooling time - together about 12 months)

Now, you could criticize Ford for the fact that the concept was shown in January, and now is August, and MKS only now got greenlighted. That is a viable criticism - it is 8 months later. However in this case Ford was forced to take this time, because the reaction to the NAIAS 06 MKS Concept was less than stellar - people criticized the design for being derivative, too japanese, and simply balnd. We migth disagree, but Ford felt there was enough negative reaction to take the MKS back to the drawing board and chage it - this meant more desining time, focus groups, analyst presentations, and business plan presentation. It would have been better had Ford presented a killer product the first time around - and could have greenlighted the product right after NAIAS ... we would have been only some 10 months away from the production version. Unfortunately this is "should have, would have, could have" speak, and we all kno the value of that.

Igor

Damn right this is a "should have, would have, and could have." And Ford damn well "should have, and could have" but they didn't, they did nothing for Lincoln except turn them into a joke in the luxury field. And now this shit is just too damn little and too damn late.

I know i sound like an asshole, but the truth is I really do want Ford and GM to come back and take back America. To me it seems GM is going in the right direction, but everytime I look at Ford I just constantly see Lost Opportunities, and the MKS clearifies it for me. It really is becoming too little and too late.

Reports are saying that this is Lincolns make or break product. WTF, this is the best Ford can do to see if Lincoln is actually worth keeping around? If that is the case than just kill them now. What Lincoln needs is a lot better product, better quality, and much better designs. Not just Ford trim levels, which is the only thing the MKX is. You become succesfull by trying to and fighting to be the best. You don't become succesfull by just barely trying to stay alive and that is what is happening with Lincoln. They are not reaching to be the best at anything.

Call it crying, call it what ever hell you want, but one thing is for sure, that unless Ford actually puts effort into lincoln, they won't become a serious luxury mark and their decline will continue. This that we see is not effort in the least bit, this is simply throwing Lincoln a fricking bone to keep them on life support. Ford is definately capable of doing a whole lot better and until they do i am not going to be blindly optimistic about a brand with the oldest average buyer. Ford has tarnished vehicle names like the taurus, but in this case they have tarnished an entire brand name, this mediocre effort won't fix it.

I dunno, I am thinking there is a RWD flagship in the works, Ford Co. just isn't ready to say so yet. Rumors of s197 and Falcon based cars persist.

no flagship Lincoln should be built on a Mustang or Falcon platform.

A sedan fitting somewhere between $35-40k could be built on either platform, but nothing over the low low $40k range should be built on either. That's not flagship territory, unless you want to subscribe to the "Lincoln, the better Buick" school of thought.

Any $50k Lincoln based on a Mustang chassis would be as stupid as the lame-brained idea to decontent the Ecosport and sell it here as the new Bronco.

Edited by RichardJensen

Here's a quickie on the MK S

MKSrev1.jpg

info-autos0601-linMKS1.jpg

The concept for a unique Lincoln high-performance AWD Haldex system sedan is to eliminate the FWD weight bias and overhang by turning the engine/transmission unit 180°. If Haldex components could be re-worked along with the front of the 500 monococque shell. . . . I know, it's a silly idea, it's just that the Haldex system works.

The top pic has less front overhang.

Any $50k Lincoln based on a Mustang chassis would be as stupid as the lame-brained idea to decontent the Ecosport and sell it here as the new Bronco.

I thought the advantage of the C2D was that it could be "built up" like the P2 was "built down" into the D3. I would think a stretched C2D with an IRS would be suitable for $50K Lincoln duty. Am I wrong?

Scott

can u even consider the Audi platforms FWD anymore when the bias can be adjusted to whatever suits their needs. As far as I know they dont even use a FWD bias awd system.

The A4, A6, and A8 still do. So far, only the "S" and "RS" versions get a rear-biased system. The standard system is 60/40, Front/Rear.

BIG NEWS!

At an automotive industry conference near Lake Michigan, the company said Wednesday that the venerable cap will disappear on its 2008 Lincoln MKS full-sized car model, and eventually all Ford models will be without them.

Replacing the caps will be a flap that opens under pressure from the gas pump nozzle. The flap will fit snugly to the nozzle to stop fumes from escaping, company officials said.

''It eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put your gas cap back on after refueling,'' said Mark Fields, Ford executive vice president and president of the Americas.

The new cap came from Ford's NASCAR racing experience, and has been used on the Ford GT sports car.

Eventually Ford will get rid of the caps on all of its vehicles, although it has no timetable to do that, said Said Deep, a company spokesman.

FWIW