The Seinfeld Thread-A rambling, non-strict topic thread free-for-all

How did that become this?

I'll agree that you have great beaches and universities. I've never used your hospitals but this

47 NORTH CAROLINA 8.8

Is not low unemployment. The May seasonally adjusted rate for NC is awful.

North Carolina (like parts of Maryland) is kind of a Tale of Two States in some ways. You have some really well-run successful areas (like the Triangle region) and then some areas of absolute squalor.

A lot of folks were put out with the housing crash; and industry took a hit when the economy went south. A lot of it down east (between Raleigh and Wilmington), and some in the western Piedmont. Industrial farming is still going fairly strong in those regions, and there's been some high tech in the western half. (Google or Apple has an installation there, iirc).

In Maryland, it appears (to this NC'er) you have the benefit of the Federal government (and the coastline) that helps your eastern portion, but go out west starting about Hagerstown, and things take a turn.

In Maryland, it appears (to this NC'er) you have the benefit of the Federal government (and the coastline) that helps your eastern portion, but go out west starting about Hagerstown, and things take a turn.

About right, although all of the furloughs for government employees haven't been too helpful as of late. Much of the Eastern Shore region is relatively low income as well, as it is mostly old farm land still without much big business (besides Perdue).

North Carolina (like parts of Maryland) is kind of a Tale of Two States in some ways. You have some really well-run successful areas (like the Triangle region) and then some areas of absolute squalor.

I can understand that, and offer that many states have the same. That doesn't make what he said true though.

A lot of folks were put out with the housing crash; and industry took a hit when the economy went south. A lot of it down east (between Raleigh and Wilmington), and some in the western Piedmont. Industrial farming is still going fairly strong in those regions, and there's been some high tech in the western half. (Google or Apple has an installation there, iirc).

North Carolina is a net taker also. Extensive military bases offer a lot of Federal money to North Carolina

http://militarybases.com/north-carolina/

jiFfM.jpg

Think of it as one of the consequences of politicizing women's health care. The GOP's combination of misogyny and ignorance is stunning with the latest anti-abortion legislation passed in Ohio. Seriously, this is face-palm stupid, but them's Goppers for ya.

Time to start sending used tampons to the government

Today's Republican Party is the living embodiment of what happens when you do not provide sex education to children. From the idea that women won't know what a pregnancy is unless an elderly male politician rapes them by proxy with an ultrasound wand to conservative women believing that a rape kit is a kind of uterine Drano, the ignorance of simple human reproduction on the right is simply appalling. The problem is that now their ignorance is extending to the people they represent when they are in government.

Ohio's new anti-abortion law bestows full personhood on a fertilized egg that has not yet implanted. Clearly the Republicans in Ohio's legislature who passed this travesty haven't got a clue about how pregnancy occurs. There is no pregnancy until the egg implants into the uterine wall, because up to half of all fertilized eggs never implant. There are many reasons for this, some of them having to do with the effects of the Pill and the IUD (which would under Ohio law become instruments of murder in a way that a gun, for some reason, is not), and some having to do with just plain nature -- God's will, if you prefer.

Some of the women whose fertilized eggs never implant in the uterus know about it -- because the egg implants in the fallopian tube instead. Ohio's law would have the perhaps unintended effect of making removal of an ectopic pregnancy a crime of murder, even though an ectopic pregnancy can never become a baby. I guess the dirty whore should have kept her legs closed or God wouldn't have punished her with an ectopic pregnancy -- or something; I have no idea how these people's minds work. But most women don't even know that there is a fertilized egg, because it passes out of her with her normal menstrual period.

So there's just one thing to do, ladies of Ohio: Start sending your used tampons and other sanitary products to John Kasich. Tell him that under Ohio law you are simply complying with the law that makes every fertilized egg a person and you want to make sure you do the right thing. You may end up in jail, but you can take comfort in knowing that confession of your crime is good for the soul.

jiFfM.jpg

Think of it as one of the consequences of politicizing women's health care. The GOP's combination of misogyny and ignorance is stunning with the latest anti-abortion legislation passed in Ohio. Seriously, this is face-palm stupid, but them's Goppers for ya.

Time to start sending used tampons to the government

Today's Republican Party is the living embodiment of what happens when you do not provide sex education to children. From the idea that women won't know what a pregnancy is unless an elderly male politician rapes them by proxy with an ultrasound wand to conservative women believing that a rape kit is a kind of uterine Drano, the ignorance of simple human reproduction on the right is simply appalling. The problem is that now their ignorance is extending to the people they represent when they are in government.

Ohio's new anti-abortion law bestows full personhood on a fertilized egg that has not yet implanted. Clearly the Republicans in Ohio's legislature who passed this travesty haven't got a clue about how pregnancy occurs. There is no pregnancy until the egg implants into the uterine wall, because up to half of all fertilized eggs never implant. There are many reasons for this, some of them having to do with the effects of the Pill and the IUD (which would under Ohio law become instruments of murder in a way that a gun, for some reason, is not), and some having to do with just plain nature -- God's will, if you prefer.

Some of the women whose fertilized eggs never implant in the uterus know about it -- because the egg implants in the fallopian tube instead. Ohio's law would have the perhaps unintended effect of making removal of an ectopic pregnancy a crime of murder, even though an ectopic pregnancy can never become a baby. I guess the dirty whore should have kept her legs closed or God wouldn't have punished her with an ectopic pregnancy -- or something; I have no idea how these people's minds work. But most women don't even know that there is a fertilized egg, because it passes out of her with her normal menstrual period.

So there's just one thing to do, ladies of Ohio: Start sending your used tampons and other sanitary products to John Kasich. Tell him that under Ohio law you are simply complying with the law that makes every fertilized egg a person and you want to make sure you do the right thing. You may end up in jail, but you can take comfort in knowing that confession of your crime is good for the soul.

So there's just one thing to do, ladies of Ohio: Start sending your used tampons and other sanitary products to John Kasich.

You are one sick F**k.

• Like 1

Plenty of military bases in NY as well, along with millions of takers on welfare.

HUH? First your bashing Maryland now New York? Everything I've seen over a number of years has New York as revenue neutral to a net giver so I don't get your point.

Ranger was making a comparison between Maryland and North Carolina, i was just reminding him that his state gets a lot of government money too.

Ranger was making a comparison between Maryland and North Carolina, i was just reminding him that his state gets a lot of government money too.

I don't deny that. There isn't a single state in the Union that doesn't get government money.

And before you go there, while I can't say the overall historical average, I do know NC has been both a net tax giver and a net tax payer over the years.

I don't deny that. There isn't a single state in the Union that doesn't get government money.

And before you go there, while I can't say the overall historical average, I do know NC has been both a net tax giver and a net tax payer over the years.

A lot of states have been. I'm just pointing out for Blackhorse why i mentioned that.

Kind of resembles Michigan... The west side of the state is much better than the east. Much better.

Another conservative bullshit lie. Outside of Grand Rapids/Holland area there is very little growth on the west side. Beside the best economic area in Michigan based on employment is the Ann Arbor area and based on drop in unemployment is the Detroit/warren/livonia area.

Edited by Langston Hughes

Another conservative bullshit lie. Outside of Grand Rapids/Holland area there is very little growth on the west side. Beside the best economic area in Michigan based on employment is the Ann Arbor area and based on drop in unemployment is the Detroit/warren/livonia area.

More like maybe people just have given up on looking for work?

We all know the unemployment numbers the government reports are bullshit anyway. It doesn't justify the actual people who aren't on the rolls collecting some sort of compensation either.

More like maybe people just have given up on looking for work?

We all know the unemployment numbers the government reports are bullshit anyway. It doesn't justify the actual people who aren't on the rolls collecting some sort of compensation either.

Maybe more people just gave up earlier out in GR. I mean we can suggest all the conspiracies that we like but outside of a few towns much of what is going on out west is no better than in the east. I will say that GR has gotten much better since the christian reformed lost some power and stopped making everything so stupid. Nothing like the good people of GR going out to Allendale to call the police on kids having fun.

Maybe more people just gave up earlier out in GR. I mean we can suggest all the conspiracies that we like but outside of a few towns much of what is going on out west is no better than in the east. I will say that GR has gotten much better since the christian reformed lost some power and stopped making everything so stupid. Nothing like the good people of GR going out to Allendale to call the police on kids having fun.

But hey it's Michigan...right? Most everybody (and their phony, I'm better than you attitude) cries that they are broke, these frauds in this state are cash poor and credit drunk, but you see them speeding down our beautiful crumbling freeways wasting overpriced, overtaxed gas. (Michigan one of 6 states charging a sales tax on every gallon by the way...that's why the higher prices.) And where is that money going?

Seriously...on another note. Who would want to pay $20 for some dumb shirt that says "Pure Michigan" on it?

From the New Scientist via Slate:

Why Is the United States So Sick?

The director of a massive new study says: “It’s almost everything.”

In the wake of a startling report highlighting the United States’ poor health compared with other wealthy nations, the report’s director searches for answers.

Americans die younger and experience more injury and illness than people in other rich nations, despite spending almost twice as much per person on health care. That was the startling conclusion of a major report released earlier this year by the U.S. National Research Council and the Institute of Medicine.

It received widespread attention. The New York Times concluded: "It is now shockingly clear that poor health is a much broader and deeper problem than past studies have suggested."

In America, Where You're Born Has a Huge Impact on How Far You'll Go in Life

It's well known at this point that not only does the United States have an unusually large level of income inequality compared to other rich countries, but we have a low level of intergenerational mobility.

Kids whose parents have low incomes, in other words, are very likely to themselves grow up to have low incomes. But the United States is also very large compared to most other rich countries, which raises the question of how uniform that pattern of mobility is.

mobility%20map.png.CROP.article568-large

From the New Scientist via Slate:

Why Is the United States So Sick?

The director of a massive new study says: “It’s almost everything.”

In the wake of a startling report highlighting the United States’ poor health compared with other wealthy nations, the report’s director searches for answers.

Americans die younger and experience more injury and illness than people in other rich nations, despite spending almost twice as much per person on health care. That was the startling conclusion of a major report released earlier this year by the U.S. National Research Council and the Institute of Medicine.

It received widespread attention. The New York Times concluded: "It is now shockingly clear that poor health is a much broader and deeper problem than past studies have suggested."

U.S. worker productivity is also near tops in the developed world. Working ourselves to death?

U.S. worker productivity is also near tops in the developed world. Working ourselves to death?

You could be right. However, "productivity" is a very nebulous concept, but it is a fact that Americans work longer hours and take less vacation time than workers in other countries, regardless of their "productivity" rating.

Now, add lousy, high-starch, high-fat diets, lack of exercise to this . . . :)