FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT - RECALL

Chris1970

Is there a way to tell if they flashed the instrument cluster? Nothing of mine was reset when I took it back...

It wasn't obvious. My phone reconnected, my radio stations were still there, I think even my navigation favorites were still there. It was little things which clued me in.

Starting the car, it took several minutes to find my phone (I had driven out of the dealership before checking, and was convinced I'd need to do it by the time I reached home - it found itself halfway there).

In the Media Player settings, I disable the "Auto Play" feature - it was back on. I've since disabled it again, but that doesn't seem to do anything any more.

In audio settings, 'surround' was off, as was the thingy which adjusts volume based on speed.

In the Gauge Cluster, the tachometer no longer showed in fuel mode.

There might have been more...major settings were OK, but minor things that deviated from default had been reset.

I got a "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message/warning this morning. It didn't play a sound and didn't come back after pressing OK.

Anyone have any advice on if I should take action or just wait to see if it comes back?

Wait and see. You could check the filler opening for debris.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those getting the recall (or if you just happen to care lol):

Apparently the check fuel fill inlet message was tripped because the "canister" filled up (I was actually smelling fuel when I'd get out of my car). They said this happens from topping off at the fuel pump and to stop doing that. What's weird is I never do that for fear of something like this. The message actually first came on when I had half a tank left. So I still feel like its related to the recall work I had done in this thread but w/e.

But its fixed now, hopefully....

• 2 months later...

Update for those getting the recall (or if you just happen to care lol):

Apparently the check fuel fill inlet message was tripped because the "canister" filled up (I was actually smelling fuel when I'd get out of my car). They said this happens from topping off at the fuel pump and to stop doing that. What's weird is I never do that for fear of something like this. The message actually first came on when I had half a tank left. So I still feel like its related to the recall work I had done in this thread but w/e.

But its fixed now, hopefully....

So I'm not getting the "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message AGAIN. I have reopened both inlet 'doors' and allowed them to reclose to make sure it's a good seal but no success.

Is anyone else continuing to get this? I never top off my fuel tank either. I know it's only the second time but it's pretty annoying...

• 4 months later...

So I'm not getting the "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message AGAIN. I have reopened both inlet 'doors' and allowed them to reclose to make sure it's a good seal but no success.

Is anyone else continuing to get this? I never top off my fuel tank either. I know it's only the second time but it's pretty annoying...

I realize I'm sounding like a broken record but I'm getting the 'Check Fuel Fill Inlet' message yet again. Every time I take it in they replace some aspect of the fuel system and the message goes away for a few months. Then it comes back randomly (never right after a refill either, tank is usually half full) It's just getting ridiculous...especially if this occurs once I'm out of the warranty period.

Should I be looking into the lemon law process for this? Or is that meant for way more serious issues? Thanks...

That type of problem would definitely qualify for lemon law (subject to the other requirements).

Have they replaced the fuel filler neck?

The problem only started after they completed the fuel delivery module recall and then swapped my tank out because it was the wrong size.

I couldn't find my receipt from January but I think that's when I think they swapped out the fuel filler neck. Any other suggestions?

I'll be taking it in today (4th time for this issue) and the issue originally occurred a month before my car turned 1 year old. I'm sure the lemon law process is a nightmare but I'd hate to have this issue for as long as I own the car...would they just give me an equivalent 2014 car if I won the lemon law?

Edited by deadman64

You'll have to check your state's lemon law - they all vary. Typically they would just buy it back minus depreciation for the time you actually used it, or Ford may offer a replacement vehicle.

You could also try a different dealership. I'm sure it's a simple fix once they identify the root cause. Sounds like they've been shooting in the dark. Ask to get Ford corporate involved or call them yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Akirby, looks like you were correct with the fuel filler neck. They replaced that this time and it's supposedly fixed (4th time I've heard that now).

Fingers crossed it stays fixed...

Well the message came back almost a week after they changed the fuel filler neck. I'll report back how they 'solve' for the fifth time now.

(At this point I'm just posting this stuff so if someone has this issue in the future they might be able to save themselves some trouble, don't think i'm just endlessly complaining on the forum haha)

• 2 months later...

Well the message came back almost a week after they changed the fuel filler neck. I'll report back how they 'solve' for the fifth time now.

(At this point I'm just posting this stuff so if someone has this issue in the future they might be able to save themselves some trouble, don't think i'm just endlessly complaining on the forum haha)

Again, keeping this thread up to date to hopefully help someone else someday....they replaced my fuel tank and all of the fuel lines since the issue never appeared before they swapped all of that out a year ago.

But, my new fuel tank doesn't seem to hold as much as the one they just removed. For those of you with a 2013 Fusion (I have 2.0L but I'm assuming this will be the same accross the board) how many gallons can you fit in your tank when your almost empty? I previously could fit 16.5 or even a little more but now it seems to be right at 15 gallons.

What's the correct size??

There is no way you should have been able to put in 16.5 gallons. That's the total tan size and there is 1.5 gallons or so left when it's on E. 15 is right. I wonder if you were actually spilling some before?

My dealer said the fuel canister kept filling up with fuel and that's what was tripping the light. Sometimes it would take a week, sometimes 2 months for the light to trip. I recorded all my fillups for the past 2 months and I had a fill up of 16.531 gal, another of 16.134 gal and the rest were around 15.75 gallons. Wonder why it was allowing me to overfill it...I always stopped when the fuel pump clicked off.

Well it sounds like 15 gallons is where I should be. Thanks for the input!

IF you changed the tank size you will get a "check fuel neck" message sooner or later or an associated DTC. You've changed the parameters of the EVAP system. Fuel tank size is critical to the calculation for tank bleed up, during post fuelling system checks. If the tank is larger, the bleed up rate will be larger due to the increased capacity. The PCM may mistakenly assume it has a leak. The car left the factory programmed with the tank size installed. You can't just willy nilly change tank size.

IF you changed the tank size you will get a "check fuel neck" message sooner or later or an associated DTC. You've changed the parameters of the EVAP system. Fuel tank size is critical to the calculation for tank bleed up, during post fuelling system checks. If the tank is larger, the bleed up rate will be larger due to the increased capacity. The PCM may mistakenly assume it has a leak. The car left the factory programmed with the tank size installed. You can't just willy nilly change tank size.

Hmm...well I didn't change it, the dealer did after I said it seemed like my tank was smaller than it's supposed to be...per Ford's manual.

Page 298 says Front Wheel Drive Fuel Tank = 16.5 gal.

I was only able to fill it to 12.5 / 13 gallons max...from E. Didn't seem right that there was 3.5 gallons of reserve does it? They agreed and went ahead and dropped the fuel tank and found the capacity that was installed was smaller than it was supposed to be. No idea how the hell that happens...

Edited by deadman64