Full-Size Sedan Shootout: Taurus Dead Last

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blame the mag for the Taurus brining up the rear in too many categories. I seem to remember various comparos (like the Mustang and Camaro convertible comparo, for instance) that the Ford entry won. Blaming the magazine when there are instrumented reasons and known weaknesses is pretty similar to denial.

I'm not "blaming" the mag...

We're not blaming the mag, we're saying the mag doesn't matter.

^^^^^ THIS!

Key words in red.

An M5 would absolutely dust off a SHO now without much effort. I think even a Chevy SS would beat it fairly consistently.

At 2X the cost, the M5 bloody well should. It would be interesting to see a comparison at Laguna Seca, to see how close the SHO gets. :)

At 2X the cost, the M5 bloody well should. It would be interesting to see a comparison at Laguna Seca, to see how close the SHO gets. :)

The M5 is only 100 or so lbs lighter than the SHO, and that's with only two driven wheels. I bet that if the SHO were to keep it close, it would be because of AWD if anything.

Well the SHO beats the snot out of the M5 when it comes to MPG numbers ;)(can't argue with that, lol)

Not to mention with a $600 tune, you'll see 334HP/344Tq at the wheels with it...

AWD brings about a 25% or so driveline loss, right? That's still only 418/430 and well short of the M5. But that WOULD match it (and the MKS, should someone tune it) with the XTS with a similar setup.

That is ridiculous. The Focus does not plow and is one of if not the best handling car in its class. I guess worn out tires with extremely low air pressure might make it plow, but I would suspect that you are just trying to stir the pot.

The Focus I'm referring to is a 2013 model S (base one) with 1500 miles on the OD with tires properly inflated. I drove it on an interstate highway through a canyon section. I have driven this road many times in various cars, light trucks, SUV's, and CUV's. A similarly equipped and as new Taurus felt much more neutral and better handling a few days later on the same section of road. It felt like it could corner at higher speeds than the understeering wonder of a Focus. The Taurus was far from feeling like a sports sedan and obviously way heavier with a higher center of gravity. I was frankly very surprised at the how garbage the Focus seemed in handling and interior layout. Maybe one with the 16 inch wheels wouldn't be so annoying.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

Yeah, in the 5+ page thread, like all MT comparison threads go, it doesn't matter.

Except, apparently, to everyone in the thread.

Oh, MT sucks, but it's also irrelevant. Apart from whatever deficiencies the *Taurus* may possess, there are ample deficiencies at Motor Trend that we can all point out.

The way you need to look at it is this: What we're doing to MT? That's what they do to Lincoln.

The difference? We're not charging people money to read what we type.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1