Full-Size Sedan Shootout: Taurus Dead Last

Fortunately, on our next road trip, I think my wife will sleep a whole lot for two reasons:

1) She's a teacher

2) She'll be almost 8 months pregnant

Would be nice to have a big, comfortable Taurus to drive her in though... (staying on subject :reading: )

Congrats on the new little one on the way!

• Like 1

It wasn't universally praised - quite the opposite. Most reviews of the MY 2010 Taurus refresh acknowledged its significantly worse interior space utilization and outward visibility compared to the 2008-2009 Taurus/Sable. Driving dynamics and fit/finish weren't class leading either. When Ford tweaked the model in MY2013, it not only failed to address these flaws (among others), but actually made the car even worse with the addition of MyFordTouch on highline models.

I think that interior space utilization is a huge flaw in most of Ford's current cars. They tend to have monstrous center consoles which really impede on leg room. My employer's fleet includes new Tauri and Focuses. The Focus seems to have less usable and pleasant space than my friend's Honda Fit. What is in that center console and under the dash of FWD Fords? Why is the Focus so popular, it plows through curves like a John Deere and is way cramped for its size?

Why is the Focus so popular, it plows through curves like a John Deere and is way cramped for its size?

It does? The Ti and ST models I drove on a road course handled fine and didn't plow at all...maybe you were driving one beat to an inch of its life?

Fortunately, on our next road trip, I think my wife will sleep a whole lot for two reasons:

1) She's a teacher

2) She'll be almost 8 months pregnant

Would be nice to have a big, comfortable Taurus to drive her in though... (staying on subject :reading: )

Do yourself a favor and map out where all the bathrooms are on your trip... (my wife and I drove from PA to St. Louis when she was pregnant with our second- I had to stop at EVERY SINGLE rest stop and restaurant on the way... lol)

I own a 2013 Taurus Limited and simply love it. M/T has a guy named 'Kong' who apparently is judge and jury on his subjective comments and they post it as 'OFFICIAL!" All you have to do is look at Car and Driver or Edmunds reviews to notice disparity and how the 'testers' all think differently. The M/T article clearly attacked the Taurus via Kong. Comments about shifting transmissions and different views on ride comfort all are subjective viewers 'opinion!" The Taurus Glass panel instrument cluster is a standout, in my opinion. What really upset me was the stopping distance. Look at Car and Driver to see how the Taurus stops in 120 ft....compared to 125 ft with M/T. That's a 5 foot difference. C'mon! Why didn't they use the Taurus Limited compared to the Avalon Limited? It has more interior appointments and upgrades...which they attacked on the SEL. As far as loud engine /trans/ride noises...why not use true/accurate decibel ratings rather than 'personal opinion ratings?'

By the way...just looked at May sales figures...Taurus outsold the 300/Cadenza/Maxima/Lucerne...and closely tied the Avalon! Its holding its own. I guess M/T readers are simply that...readers!

Anyway, I love the looks and profile of my Taurus.

Edited by bobbyd

Car mags and the flavor of the month push. Although it probobly would not have 'won", an SHO would have embarrased the other newer cars and their PR guys (Chevy)...Similarily why didn't MT test the 2.0 EB motored Escape in its recent compasion? Just because no one else can compete with it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be included - the top motor can be had sans the highline Titanium trim.

As an aside the Escape deserves its place at the top of the SUV sales heap IMO; with the 2.0 EB, its an AWD Focus ST wagon. Excellent (sports?) car that is a hoot to drive! I am very empressed by the current FoMoCo/FOE vs FoMoCo/Mazda offspring.

Edited by Project-Fairmont

It is my understanding that the car company.. (in this case Ford Motor Company), decides what car will be represented from its fleet during the requested test, comparison or review.

The "rags" send an invention and general requirements such as target price or performance options for the test vehicles and what other vehicles are going to be in the comparisons.

A SHO is in market with a BMW M5 or a Chevy SS.

M5? Really? You can't even buy a decent 5-Series for the price of a SHO.

--

Also, Ford has tended to neglect its press fleet. I think they may have cut back during the first "Explorer rollover" round of cuts and have stuck with the policy ever since. Reviewers get beater and preproduction cars, and they mock Ford for sending them hashed over cars.

It is my understanding that the car company.. (in this case Ford Motor Company), decides what car will be represented from its fleet during the requested test, comparison or review.

The "rags" send an invention and general requirements such as target price or performance options for the test vehicles and what other vehicles are going to be in the comparisons.

A SHO is in market with a BMW M5 or a Chevy SS.

M5 is $90k. Twice the price of SHO.

I think that interior space utilization is a huge flaw in most of Ford's current cars. They tend to have monstrous center consoles which really impede on leg room. My employer's fleet includes new Tauri and Focuses. The Focus seems to have less usable and pleasant space than my friend's Honda Fit. What is in that center console and under the dash of FWD Fords? Why is the Focus so popular, it plows through curves like a John Deere and is way cramped for its size?

That is ridiculous. The Focus does not plow and is one of if not the best handling car in its class. I guess worn out tires with extremely low air pressure might make it plow, but I would suspect that you are just trying to stir the pot.

When Ford introduced the revolutionary 5-speed high performance 1989 Ford Taurus SHO they opened a new chapter in the history of performance automobiles. A Taurus with a clutch? Oh, yeah...

Car and Driver agreed, calling the new performance sedan "revolutionary", placing it in the same category as the 240Z and the 1960's Ford Mustang. By utilizing a unique high performance 3.0 V6 engine designed and built by Yamaha, Ford turned an average sedan into a top performer. With 220HP and 200ft-lbs torque, the normally aspirated 1989 Ford Taurus SHO behaved like it was supercharged, with 145 mph at the top end and 0-60 mph in only 6.6 seconds - all in a body that looks like a family sedan. The Taurus SHO quickly became, and still is, the ultimate sleeper. At the time, its only true competitor was the BMW M5 Sedan - but only at twice the price!
The idea of the SHO was to compete with perform ace sedans but at a lower price.

They also don't have to worry about reliability or the expense of repairs after the warranty ends.

There's a reason beyond high price that lots of those expensive German cars are leased, and not bought.

Edited by grbeck

Do yourself a favor and map out where all the bathrooms are on your trip... (my wife and I drove from PA to St. Louis when she was pregnant with our second- I had to stop at EVERY SINGLE rest stop and restaurant on the way... lol)

That sounds like a much longer trip than from GA to VA. I commend you, sir.

We're gonna leave early in the morning so that I can blast through GA, stop for gas in SC right before the NC state line, and eat breakfast in NC (probably somewhere between Charlotte and Greensboro) before finishing the trip. Here's hoping that everyone stays asleep -- and dry -- until breakfast!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blame the mag for the Taurus brining up the rear in too many categories. I seem to remember various comparos (like the Mustang and Camaro convertible comparo, for instance) that the Ford entry won. Blaming the magazine when there are instrumented reasons and known weaknesses is pretty similar to denial.

And it STILL won't finish better than mid-pack in a MT comparison test. A MT comparison test and a quarter won't even get you a frickin pack of gum!