Chrysler refuses US request to recall vehicles

• 2 weeks later...

Got this across the wire:

Chrysler Group and NHTSA Resolve Recall Request

Chrysler Group LLC and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have resolved their differences with respect to NHTSA’s request to recall 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-07 Jeep Liberty vehicles.

As a result of the agreement, Chrysler Group will conduct a voluntary campaign with respect to the vehicles in question that, in addition to a visual inspection of the vehicle will, if necessary, provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts.

Chrysler Group’s analysis of the data confirms that these vehicles are not defective and are among the safest in the peer group. Nonetheless, Chrysler Group recognizes that this matter has raised concerns for its customers and wants to take further steps, in coordination with NHTSA, to provide additional measures to supplement the safety of its vehicles.

Chrysler Group regards safety as a paramount concern and does not compromise on the safety of our customers and their families.

And Sergio learns a valuable lesson about the United States.

Namely that U.S federal agencies can be even more divorced from reality than their EU counterparts.

I wouldn't be surprised if strong-arm tactics were used to produce this unfortunate "resolution."

Edited by aneekr

Wow, seems a rather expensive fix!

A trailer hitch? Not too bad. The entire trailer hitch kit for a WJ is $185...that's customer price (probably around $50-$70 for the company). Less then an hour labor for install, most likely will bill for a 1/2 hour.

I'd say the only people that will be bringing in older Jeeps for this recall just want a free trailer hitch.

A trailer hitch? Not too bad. The entire trailer hitch kit for a WJ is $185...that's customer price (probably around $50-$70 for the company). Less then an hour labor for install, most likely will bill for a 1/2 hour.

I'd say the only people that will be bringing in older Jeeps for this recall just want a free trailer hitch.

Well, $100/vehicle does seem a little steep when I would think there could be a better way. Maybe not, and I'm sure if there was a cheaper way, they'd be doing it.

It's not a tumor!

Chrysler now says it will perform a "customer service action."

• Recalled and "customer service" Jeeps with factory-installed hitch assemblies, or those from Chrysler's parts unit, Mopar, will be inspected by dealers and be pronounced OK without changes if the hitch is in good shape.

• The Jeeps in either group inspected and found to have non-Chrysler hitches will get Mopar replacement hitches installed free.

• Recalled Jeeps without no hitch (USA Today grammar) will get Mopar hitches installed free, but "customer service" Jeeps without hitches do not get them free.

Chrysler wins cut from feds, recalls 1.56 million Jeeps

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/06/18/chrysler-changes-mind-recalls-jeeps-government-sought/2434955/

Who's surprised by *this* revelation?

Post #4:

Yeah, well, I'm sure something could've been worked out--------

But I doubt that Sergio & co. were interested in negotiating with the NHTSA. Possibly because they have zero experience with the US media and US government under these circumstances.

You nailed it.