Navigation Totally Sucks

akray99

Paid $895.00 for navigation in my 2013 Titanium. It has never really worked right since day 1. Got to the point where it would freeze up, couldn't figure out where it was, or intermittantely find a signal for about three seconds then stop again. When it freezes up, my entire MFT freezes up. Took it to the dealer they said there was a service bulletin on it which I already knew and told them when I made the appointment. Take it in and yep.. there is a service bulletin on it.. have to order parts.. will be in in about a week.

Today I take it in and they replace the GPS module and Bracket. They say system is working now. Get in it to drive home.. Same problems.. not fixed.

I could have bought a Tom Tom or Garmin for a lot less than $895.00. Hell, my Tom Tom from 6 years ago that my kids got for $99.00 works way better then this does.

Its back to the dealer next week to find out whats next. That is if I can navigate my way there. Thank God for my iphone and google maps.

Lets hear your experiences with crappy navigation.

Mine was okay except for the fact it took 10 min or longer to figure out were I was. Once it did it worked fine.

I just had the TSB (module and bracket) done the other day. So far it seems to be a lot better. I'll keep an eye on it and see.

But like I said mine worked okay priar.

I wish companies would design a car where you can just pop a garmin or tomtom into the dash. NAVs in all cars are so subpar its not funny. As much as I hate to admit it, Ford is one of the better ones (graphic and feature wise). Also its insane these companies still charge for maps. Especially when a phone and a standalone GPS are free.

How was your 3.5.1 MFT update installed? Have them force program the APIM using a wired connection and IDS. IF it is still funky, it probably needs an APIM.

That's all fine and dandy and nothing against you at all, but WHY THE HELL DOES IT NEED ALL THIS SHIT!!!! GPS crap has been out for YEARS!!! The should be the easiest and most trouble free tech option on ANY vehicle. I use my iphone and garmin, didn't get th Nav package. For 900 bucks they can suck it.

I choose the navigation package simply for the conveninece of having a built in system rather than having to consult my iphone or have something stuck on my dashboard / windshield. What I thought was a little bit of indulgence has now turned into a frustration and disappointment. Now the mission is to either get it fixed right or get my $900.00 bucks back so I can buy a new garmin. :)

I choose the navigation package simply for the conveninece of having a built in system rather than having to consult my iphone or have something stuck on my dashboard / windshield. What I thought was a little bit of indulgence has now turned into a frustration and disappointment. Now the mission is to either get it fixed right or get my $900.00 bucks back so I can buy a new garmin. :)

Huge mistake. I buy a small (new ) Garmin GPS every couple of years with the built in Lifetime Maps Updater for (both US and Canada), as well as Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands for about $70. Got a need small bean-bag mount for it that clings to the dash so no Windshield mount is required. Buying too much built in Technology in your new Vehicle is just begging for aggravation and trouble. Sure its looks neat as a "built in" to your info screen but.....? I would pay extra to (delete) the SYNC and MFT. Yes, I enjoy A/C, PW, PL, PM, PS, PB but too much high tech crap will eventually fail for require constant upgrades...3.5 will soon be replaced with 3.7?

• Like 1

It seems that no other manufacturer has these kinds of issues with their nav systems. I'd say the integration to the Sync and MFT has been the reason. The technology has been around for many years. Even Honda managed to integrate one into their Goldwings with no issues. In fact the standalone units allow much more freedom in choosing the route.

What gets me is that a 800 dollar nav system does no more than my $125 Garmin unit and I don't pay for map updates ever. Ford's updates are pricy. Yet the one feature I want, route entry isn't possible. I find even my unit routes me in what is far from the easiest route. I'd rather pre-plot the route and enter it.

It seems that no other manufacturer has these kinds of issues with their nav systems. I'd say the integration to the Sync and MFT has been the reason. The technology has been around for many years. Even Honda managed to integrate one into their Goldwings with no issues. In fact the standalone units allow much more freedom in choosing the route.

What gets me is that a 800 dollar nav system does no more than my $125 Garmin unit and I don't pay for map updates ever. Ford's updates are pricy. Yet the one feature I want, route entry isn't possible. I find even my unit routes me in what is far from the easiest route. I'd rather pre-plot the route and enter it.

None of these are really Ford-specific problems though. And look around some more-- you'll find plenty of complaints about built-in nav systems from other automakers, so it's not a MFT-specific thing either. Automakers have been ripping off consumers for in-car navigation for years now and likely will into the foreseeable future.

Other systems have had complaints. Many are the physical setup of the controls. Much is software related to the XM/Sirius Traffic software. But if you read many if these complaints,. many seem to be related to the integration of the various systems.

Personally, put a five hundred dollar seven inch screen in the dash and make it a virtually standalone unit. That would be a big seller. But I'd have to be realistic and say that dash real estate is a premium so there would be little to no room left for all the other controls required.

But my standalone GPS is better suited to see while driving than the one in the center of the dash. That is a concern and probably ranks up there with texting.

One of my favorite parts about the built in is the next step being shown on my IP screen. I glance down at my speedo and see my next step all in one. No need to block my vision with a GPS that sits on the top of the console / attached to the window, and no need to glance over to the center screen to see the full map.

One of my favorite parts about the built in is the next step being shown on my IP screen. I glance down at my speedo and see my next step all in one. No need to block my vision with a GPS that sits on the top of the console / attached to the window, and no need to glance over to the center screen to see the full map.

That is a handy feature indeed. I've found the ability to send ahead destinations via Sync Services to be kind of handy a couple of times as well. There are benefits to integrated nav systems, but automakers are still without a doubt overcharging for them. But hey, as long as we stooges keep paying for it...

Sorry, what do you mean by this? I don't see my NAV info on the screen by the speedometer.

Sorry, what do you mean by this? I don't see my NAV info on the screen by the speedometer.

In vehicles with MyFord Touch you can set it to display the navigation turn info on one of the instrument panel screens if you so desire. On the right-hand screen under Navigation options. Without a destination set it will just display a compass, street name, and speed limit.

Edited by NickF1011

Pretty much what Nick said - except he has the dual 2.4in screens on his IP with 1 real speedo tach, where as we have 2 real tachs flanking one center screen. Using the left 5 way on your steering wheel, you can change the setting from Navigation always on, only on guidance, or off (note, there is no difference between always on and only on guidance... later IPC software versions removed the only on guidance option). If you have it turned on, when you have a destination set, where you normally see a picture of your car, indicating if you have any doors opened or lights on, that will be replaced with a turn direction, street name / exit number, and distance till that step.

When you don't have a destination set, it will resume showing you your vehicle with door/light indicators. (Note, that too is an option that you can turn on/off in the menu)

Pretty much what Nick said - except he has the dual 2.4in screens on his IP with 1 real speedo tach, where as we have 2 real tachs flanking one center screen. Using the left 5 way on your steering wheel, you can change the setting from Navigation always on, only on guidance, or off (note, there is no difference between always on and only on guidance... later IPC software versions removed the only on guidance option). If you have it turned on, when you have a destination set, where you normally see a picture of your car, indicating if you have any doors opened or lights on, that will be replaced with a turn direction, street name / exit number, and distance till that step.

When you don't have a destination set, it will resume showing you your vehicle with door/light indicators. (Note, that too is an option that you can turn on/off in the menu)

Ah...wasn't aware all Escapes only had the single screen. Seems it loses some of the functionality of the dual screens. But I don't have things like the door status screen either so, trade-offs either way it would appear.

Edited by NickF1011

I prefer the dual screen myself. It's much more colorful, and I like the functionality of seeing my radio info on the right screen - especially since the bottom left gets covered up by the center stack.

Then again, I really like the real tach vs. the digital tach.

I prefer the dual screen myself. It's much more colorful, and I like the functionality of seeing my radio info on the right screen - especially since the bottom left gets covered up by the center stack.

Then again, I really like the real tach vs. the digital tach.

Does the main touch screen in the Escape show track progress when playing from an iPod? It used to do it on all of them when viewing the Entertainment screen, but they removed it with one of the updates. Now the only place that shows track progress is the Entertainment screen on the instrument cluster if it is displayed. Kind of a bummer.

Does the main touch screen in the Escape show track progress when playing from an iPod? It used to do it on all of them when viewing the Entertainment screen, but they removed it with one of the updates. Now the only place that shows track progress is the Entertainment screen on the instrument cluster if it is displayed. Kind of a bummer.

To my knowledge, no it does not. Which means we have no way of seeing (or tracking) through a song. Kinda annoying when one by accidentally hits next track instead of volume up as there's no way to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...