Akerson: Buick, Opel ties to grow stronger, propping up EU operation

PREMiERdrum

Buick And Opel Link To Become Stronger, Says GM CEO

Motor Authority

June 17, 2013

by Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Buick currently sells three vehicles that were originally conceived as Opels, and by the looks of things it's set to have more. Buick’s latest Encore, Regal and Verano models all share their underpinnings and most of their bodywork with models sold overseas as Opels (Vauxhalls if you’re in the U.K.), and so far this strategy of co-development between the two brands appears to be working for General Motors.

There’s been plenty of speculation that more Opel models could reach Buick showrooms here in the U.S., but the biggest indication yet that it may happen are recent comments from General Motors Company CEO Dan Akerson.

Speaking at an investor conference, Akerson is reported to have said that Buick and Opel will become even more intertwined as GM attempts to make better use of its high-level yet costly engineering resources in Europe, namely, by spreading it across more brands.

But deciding which additional models to share across the brands is proving to be sticking point for planners. Some of the possibilities that have been making headlines include a new Buick Regal Sport Wagon based on the Opel Insignia Sports Tourer, a new Buick convertible based on the Opel Cascada, and a new Buick hatchback based on the Opel Astra GTC.

And, just so we're all on the same page: The American luxury brand which only survived the bankruptcy because of the the Chinese market's affection to tri-shielded "All American" luxo barges will be sporting a lineup primarily made up of rebadged European mainstream cars.

I'm curious...what are the actual sales of the Encore, Verano and Regal so far?

For example, I keep hearing that the Verano is a "success" and that it is outselling the Acura ILX, but that is like bragging about how your wife is sexier than Roseanne Barr.

I also keep hearing that the Encore is a success, but I have seen a grand total of one on the road.

I still say that customers who really want a "European" feel to their vehicle will not be visiting Buick dealers, while people who do visit Buick dealers (like my parents) have zero interest in that type of vehicle.

For example, I keep hearing that the Verano is a "success" and that it is outselling the Acura ILX, but that is like bragging about how your wife is sexier than Roseanne Barr.

I also keep hearing that the Encore is a success, but I have seen a grand total of one on the road.

I still say that customers who really want a "European" feel to their vehicle will not be visiting Buick dealers, while people who do visit Buick dealers (like my parents) have zero interest in that type of vehicle.

Verano has been selling at a decent clip...4000+ a month if I recall. Encore is too new to judge in my opinion.

Here are the most recent U.S. sales figures for Buick:

buicksales.png

• Like 1

I would argue that 4k units is a dangerously small amount for a compact vehicle.

It would be if it wasn't sharing signficant components with another vehicle and didn't have decent ATP's. But yes, it would probably be an even more profitable overall venture to have just given the Cavalier err Cobalt errr Cruze more available upscale content.

Another question is how many of those Verano sales have come from the hides of the LaCrosse and Regal.

Lacrosse probably not a whole lot, but Regal I would say has certainly taken a hit as a result of it. Similar thing seems to be happening over at Cadillac with CTS being eaten at both ends by the ATS and XTS.

Lacrosse probably not a whole lot, but Regal I would say has certainly taken a hit as a result of it. Similar thing seems to be happening over at Cadillac with CTS being eaten at both ends by the ATS and XTS.

Verano-Regal-LaCrosse is a recipe for canabalization...