The new Toyada eerrr Ram pickup!

silvrsvt

Cool. GM gets the drop on Toyota. Not the early launch, but the wide swinging rear access doors.

Toyota's copying the Dodge Ram "Quad Cab" with teensy front hinged rear doors. I think GM's approach is better.

Rumor has it the Tundra will, in its largest configuration, be longer and heavier than the Dodge Mega Cab, with an 11,000 lb tow rating. Rumors about a 400+ hp motor are also circulating. Edmunds speculates that the biggest Tundra will have a GVWR in the 8k range. If GVWR exceeds 8,500lbs, the Tundra will technically be a Class 2b truck (F250), which (if it happens) is rather humorous, because apparently the only way Toyota could top the F150's numbers is by taking on the F250 (which beats these rumored Tundra towing numbers).

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1337

Best-in-class towing will be a first for Toyota--provided the Tundra is compared against half-tons.

Edited by RichardJensen

In contrast with the data on the Edmunds site, AW reports that the 5.7L Toyota V8 will offer 350lb-ft of torque (worst in class) which really makes me wonder about the alleged prowess of their engineering teams. You'd think, after a dozen years of effort, and after 7 years of fiddling with their V8 powered Tundras, they'd've figured out how to get grunt out of their motors.

Hey, don't hang any Ram comparison on this truck. If Toyota was trying to copy the Ram, they did a poor job. The Ram looks athletic...the Tundra looks flabby. If Toyota is taking aim on Ram, its because of it being the third highest selling brand of half-ton. It makes sense for them to target its marketshare...but I don't think you're going to see a mass exodus from a nice-looking truck like the Ram to this globby beast of burden.

That is perhaps the ugliest pickup I have ever seen. Perhaps uglier than the Tacoma which I see everywhere I go! Can't understand the appeal of these trucks, but Toyota is selling lots of them.

Actually it looks like a Tacoma on steroids. Remember when the Ranger came out in '82? From the sides and the rear, it looked like a miniature F100/F150.