Decontenting already starting on 2014 Escape

Ford is getting back to the practices when the bean counters ran the product into the ground in the late 90's/early 00's.

Was at the dealer today and noticed on the 2014 Escape Titanium the "new" standard leather seats are in reality the flat, plain, SEL seats from the 2013 model.

I guess no SEL model for 2014 means use up the old SEL seats and get rid of the nice sport bucket seats that used to be one of the nice differentiation factors in the Titanium model.

Also of course it had the cheap, cut off exhaust tips instead of the rolled ones, they started doing these late in the 2013 model.

HID headlamps are no longer standard, they are part of a $1,735 package. They then charge $1,195 for the 2.0 ecoboost that was standard, $595 for the wheels that were standard, $145 for the roof bars that were standard and $135 for the tonnau cover that was standard. Total was $37,475.

All I could do was laugh and shake my head....it's amazing the people making these stupid decisions think no one is going to notice, and the people that don't----it's a shame they are getting the wool pulled over their eyes.

Then they have the audacity to raise the price of the vehicle, you know because it's got "standard" leather now. If you want to call those vinyl boards leather. On a $37,000 vehicle.

Really stupid, and really greedy Ford.

Edited by svtenthusiast

The decision to discontinue the SEL wasn't made last year, I have to believe this is something that was planned from the beginning. Introduce and build interest in the vehicle, sell a bunch of cars, especially at the two higher trim levels, drop the SEL, offer a standard rear camera and a few more options (for a price) at the SE level to make it more attractive to those who don't want to spend 30K+, take features away from the Titanium level and offer the features as options and packages at a higher price. It's not stupid, it's a brilliant marketing plan to make money. People who are just now beginning the buying process will never know what they missed out on, it's only the folks who already have the car, (and pay attention to this stuff) who will know what's happened. Once again, I'm glad I purchased my Titanium when I did.

No, I haven't forgotten the S trim. I don't think it's a big factor beyond the fleet and rental market. I've seen a bunch of 13 Escapes in my area and I don't believe I've ever seen an S. The government agency I work for is purchasing SE trim level to replace the aging fleet of Chrysler mini vans.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the SE and SE w/Luxury package. SEL should have remained IMHO. If you say from your observations svte. the Luxury Package isn't luxury, that's not a good thing :sad: . If there's a trim level to get rid of is the S level. AFAIK, the rentals here and government fleet are at least SE. Even Limiteds and Ti trims are availible. So what is the point :shrug:

I'm not seeing that much of a price difference between 13 / 14 The sticker on my 13 was $37100 with destination. After building a 14 comprable to mine, it was $37225 with destination. That's adding the 19" wheels, the cargo cover, and roof rails.

You also have to add HID's and rain sensing wipers.

To build a comparable Titanium to mine is an additional $1170.

I don't have leather seats, so if you deduct $875 (I believe that was the cost) it's an additional $295, which isn't a lot, but since you're forced to have the leather seats, it's $1170 more for 2014.

My Titanium, with Parking Technology Package as the only additional option, the MSRP was $32190 (I paid $28514), to get the 2014 to the same as mine the MSRP is $33360.

Edited by transitman

When I saw the changes to the packaging on the 14s, I went into scramble mode to get a 13 before it was too late. I wanted a fully loaded Titanium and didn't like the loss of the sport seats, nor the chrome strip on the lift gate. Luckily I was able to get my order placed the very last week they were still taking 13s. Incentives were also awesome at the time so in the end I got exactly what I wanted at a lower price than if I were to get a 14 today.

It's funny how they package things.

With my 08 Edge Limited, in order to get the Nav, you had to get the sunroof.

You need the sunroof if you have NAV. That way when the NAV isn't working you just stick your head out the top and get your bearings.

• Like 4

Still 58 on the dealer lot here. With the other two dealers less than 15 miles away there are still a hundred available locally.

There were plenty on lots in my area as well. However, no dealer within 500 miles had the configuration I was looking for. To me, it didn't make sense to compromise since I could wait the 8 weeks for a factory build and it wasn't any more expensive than buying one off the lot.

I have a 2013 titanium with everything but the park assist package. I wish the rear camera was available without getting park assist in 2013 since I don't need the park feature just a camera. I'm glad to hear that even though I lost out on some standard features now in the 2014 model I have better seats and standard HID's. Just wish I could have gotten the 18 inch wheels instead of 19 standard. Already have a scuff on my front right wheel from a pothole and I'm sure when they need to be replaced the tires won't be cheap! I'll have to search the forums to see if anyone with 18's wants to trade lol

When I saw the changes to the packaging on the 14s, I went into scramble mode to get a 13 before it was too late. I wanted a fully loaded Titanium and didn't like the loss of the sport seats, nor the chrome strip on the lift gate. Luckily I was able to get my order placed the very last week they were still taking 13s. Incentives were also awesome at the time so in the end I got exactly what I wanted at a lower price than if I were to get a 14 today.

Don't know what 2013 Titanium you have or ordered but mine has a body colored lift gate. I've only seen the 2013 SEL with the chrome.... Maybe it's because mine is Ruby Red?

Edited by Elf911

Don't know what 2013 Titanium you have or ordered but mine has a body colored lift gate. I've only seen the 2013 SEL with the chrome.... Maybe it's because mine is Ruby Red?

Mine does as well. What I meant was that I didn't like the addition of the chrome on the liftgate of the 2014's.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the SE and SE w/Luxury package. SEL should have remained IMHO. If you say from your observations svte. the Luxury Package isn't luxury, that's not a good thing :sad: . If there's a trim level to get rid of is the S level. AFAIK, the rentals here and government fleet are at least SE. Even Limiteds and Ti trims are availible. So what is the point :shrug:

Unfortunately, Ford just keeps messing up the model line-ups with more and more vehicles... the Escape, Focus and Fusion lines in particular. The SE "Plus" option makes no sense at all and just confuses the Market and hurts residual values. The SEL trim level should have stayed in all these vehicle lines and included the standard leather seats which were long established on the SEL series. On the Escape Titanium, the 2.0L EcoBoost should have remained the standard engine but the standard seats should have been upgraded to leather only. If the Titanium series is to be the top-of-the-line then treat it as such and equip it as such.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, Ford just keeps messing up the model line-ups with more and more vehicles... the Escape, Focus and Fusion lines in particular. The SE "Plus" option makes no sense at all and just confuses the Market and hurts residual values. The SEL trim level should have stayed in all these vehicle lines and included the standard leather seats which were long established on the SEL series. On the Escape Titanium, the 2.0L EcoBoost should have remained the standard engine but the standard seats should have been upgraded to leather only. If the Titanium series is to be the top-of-the-line then treat it as such and equip it as such.

Yeah here in NYC the NYPD has the 2013 Escape SE for their big bosses. It looks really nice with the crazy light packages they have

I agree with everything you've said. The 2013 Titanium was unique to the model and top of the line within the mid priced CUV class.

Well, I guess I have to get back on the Ford Blog and say WTF? Ford, stop the cheaping out and save money by just eliminating lines. If I was looking for a new compact second car, I see no reason to buy a 'S' varient when the SE is within reach. If I wanted more features, the drivers space between the Fiesta and Focus is minimal. I see downsize for features and save money or spend a little more for same size and better but not complete features. I don't get it.

Glad I got a '13......what Ford did to the '14's, especially the seats is pathetic.......I wouldn't consider a '14 based on the seats and the option packaging. They drove me to Chevy with my pickup with their stupid option packages, drove Ford trucks since '78----12 of them----no more......I guess they will drive me somewhere else when I replace my Escape in '15.

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered one through my dealership, $18.36 + tax. Sorry, I don't remember the part # and I'm at work.

Let us know how it fits on the '13. On the '14, It looks like there are two little nubs on the center console that hold the tray in place. I'm curious how the tray will work without the nubs.

Let us know how it fits on the '13. On the '14, It looks like there are two little nubs on the center console that hold the tray in place. I'm curious how the tray will work without the nubs.

There's a thread in the Lounge section/Reached out to Ford topic (somehow it got slipped in there) on 2013escape.org on this very subject. A video was posted showing the tray in a 2014 and a fellow posted pics of the tray in his 2013. The only difference is the lack of nubs, the try fits fine and does not slide.

Oh yea, another item I came across. The "passive memory seat entry" has been deleted from late build 13's and 14 model year.

This feature recalls the seat position depending on the driver that unlocks the vehicle with their fob.

Have no idea why this would be deleted, can't be monetary value since it was already in place. Must of been something that didn't work quite right that was easier to delete, because you know, no one would notice.

My '13 was built in late May. From what I can remember, It seems they partially removed the feature. When I use the intelligent access key by simply using the door handle, the seats/mirrors don't move. However, if I use the unlock button on the remote, the seats/mirrors do move to the last position used with the key. I'll test this further tonight with both key fobs to double check.