How Can I program Garage Door Opener/Push Button Start

bobbyd

Pressing the start button without touching the brake puts it in accessory mode. Or just start it up.

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe they should add that to the owner's manual for non-tech savy guys like me. Anyway, I appreciate the help!

I read the manual! I went on line and read the PDF file...4th edition! Under 'Universal Garage Door Opener' it only mentioned "turn key to on"....! Where do you see it?

It's under the section where it tells you how to use the push button start instead of a traditional key.

FYI..just contacted Customer Service and they actually agreed there is no mention on how to program the opener with a push button start ignition. They

It's under the section where it tells you how to use the push button start instead of a traditional key.

I also read that section on remote start but never mentions how to program the opener. It indicated '3' functions of push button start.

Bottomline, make it simple and place the note for remote start where it applies...in this case the: "Heavily Viewed Garage Door Opener page!" Customer Service agreed...they couldn't find it and agreed it should be added where it applies. If they actually do it on any further updates...it would be nice. (I'm not arguing, but simply trying to make things more user friendly).

FYI..just contacted Customer Service and they actually agreed there is no mention on how to program the opener with a push button start ignition. They

I also read that section on remote start but never mentions how to program the opener. It indicated '3' functions of push button start.

Bottomline, make it simple and place the note for remote start where it applies...in this case the: "Heavily Viewed Garage Door Opener page!" Customer Service agreed...they couldn't find it and agreed it should be added where it applies. If they actually do it on any further updates...it would be nice. (I'm not arguing, but simply trying to make things more user friendly).

Well, some functions depend on you knowing something about other functions. You know, like prerequisites in school. You really need to know addition before you know multiplication, and the multiplication section in the text book shouldn't have to explain addition.

Does the section on how to use the push button start explain how to set the ignition to "on" (or accessory position)? If so, then that's your answer. If not, then that is an omission from Ford that needs to be fixed.

Edited by fordmantpw

Well, some functions depend on you knowing something about other functions. You know, like prerequisites in school. You really need to know addition before you know multiplication, and the multiplication section in the text book shouldn't have to explain addition.

Does the section on how to use the push button start explain how to set the ignition to "on" (or accessory position)? If so, then that's your answer. If not, then that is an omission from Ford that needs to be fixed.

As with those I asked..if you want to program your Garage...you first look in the manual for 'garage door openers!" The 4th edition manual says: Step#1 " turn the KEY in the ignition to 'on!" So, those who DO NOT have a key ignition then start reading further to determine how it applies to them. Nothing mentioned under that article. I simply said..just add a one line note : Select 'ON' the fob button' if you have a Push Button start ignition! (Again, it would be a lot easier and simple to those buyers who are not tech savy or don't want to be searching for the answer!") Add it where it applies!

So if someone asked you out of the blue to "turn on the ignition" not knowing that you had push button start, what would you do?

This is a basic function of operating the vehicle that you should know how to do anyway.

Edited by akirby

As with those I asked..if you want to program your Garage...you first look in the manual for 'garage door openers!" The 4th edition manual says: Step#1 " turn the KEY in the ignition to 'on!" So, those who DO NOT have a key ignition then start reading further to determine how it applies to them. Nothing mentioned under that article. I simply said..just add a one line note : Select 'ON' the fob button' if you have a Push Button start ignition! (Again, it would be a lot easier and simple to those buyers who are not tech savy or don't want to be searching for the answer!") Add it where it applies!

As akirby said, turning the key on (whether it has a key or push button) should be common knowledge by the time you reach that point. If Ford did what you are saying, the manual wouldn't fit in the trunk of the car, let alone the glove box. Envision this:

How to move car:

• Open door
  • If door is locked, unlock door
  • unlock door by pushing the unlock button on the key fob
  • Key fob is the little black box that has buttons on it to unlock/lock/etc.
  • Get in car
  • To get in car, put one foot over door sill, place in foot well
  • BTW, foot is that little thing at the end of your leg that you walk on. If you do not have a foot then (embed manual describing prosthetics here)
  • sit in seat
  • Seat is the thing you sit in
  • put other foot in foot well
  • put foot on brake pedal
  • Brake pedal is the pedal on the left, unless you have a manual transmission-equipped car, in which case the brake pedal is in the middle

You get the point. See, to do some tasks, you have to know many other remedial tasks. If you don't know that remedial task, find where it is referenced in the manual.

So if someone asked you out of the blue to "turn on the ignition" not knowing that you had push button start, what would you do?

This is a basic function of operating the vehicle that you should know how to do anyway.

You totally missed my point on making things simple. Simple driving a car compared to programming its functions are very different and time consuming!

As akirby said, turning the key on (whether it has a key or push button) should be common knowledge by the time you reach that point. If Ford did what you are saying, the manual wouldn't fit in the trunk of the car, let alone the glove box. Envision this:

How to move car:

• Open door
  • If door is locked, unlock door
  • unlock door by pushing the unlock button on the key fob
  • Key fob is the little black box that has buttons on it to unlock/lock/etc.
  • Get in car
  • To get in car, put one foot over door sill, place in foot well
  • BTW, foot is that little thing at the end of your leg that you walk on. If you do not have a foot then (embed manual describing prosthetics here)
  • sit in seat
  • Seat is the thing you sit in
  • put other foot in foot well
  • put foot on brake pedal
  • Brake pedal is the pedal on the left, unless you have a manual transmission-equipped car, in which case the brake pedal is in the middle

You get the point. See, to do some tasks, you have to know many other remedial tasks. If you don't know that remedial task, find where it is referenced in the manual.

EXACTLY...as you said: "find where it is referenced in the manual!" Answer: it should be noted under Universal Garage Door Opener! Its that simple! You guys are killing me...I need a nap! (But before I go, please try a test on someone...but not as tech savy as you... and ask them where they would FIRST look if they wanted to program their garage door opener.....they will answer 'under garage door opener!" Good bye and good night! Zzzzzzzzzz!

Edited by bobbyd

You totally missed my point on making things simple. Simple driving a car compared to programming its functions are very different and time consuming!

EXACTLY...as you said: "find where it is referenced in the manual!" Answer: it should be noted under Universal Garage Door Opener! Its that simple! You guys are killing me...I need a nap! (But before I go, please try a test on someone...but not as tech savy as you... and ask them where they would FIRST look if they wanted to program their garage door opener.....they will answer 'under garage door opener!" Good bye and good night! Zzzzzzzzzz!

Seriously?

Step 1: read the OM to learn how to operate the push button start.

Step 2: read the OM to learn how to program the garage door opener. When you see "turn key on" substitute the steps you learned in Step 1.(press start button without touching the brake).

Why should operating the key be listed under the section about the garage door opener?

Seriously?

Step 1: read the OM to learn how to operate the push button start.

Step 2: read the OM to learn how to program the garage door opener. When you see "turn key on" substitute the steps you learned in Step 1.(press start button without touching the brake).

Exactly!

I'm in the RTFM camp, but in bobbyd's defense, the instructions for programming the universial garage door opener are on page 130 and the starting instructions are on page 137 of the 4th printing of the owner's manual. BUT, (big but) who doesn't read the manual to understand the primary operation of the vehicle before reading for the secondary material? He may argue, opening the garage door is primary, but if you have the existing remote it drops down a step to after understanding the key fob, unlocking the car, the keyless start function, starting the car and getting it to travel to the garage. I'm just saying...

• Like 1

We just bought a 2013 SEL Escape and are trying to program the garage door opener but the manual says to turn ignition to "on" first. We have push button start and there is no "On" position! Anyone know the procedure?

Thanks for your question/answer, since our Ford customer service was unable to help us and the usual answer..."bring it in to the dealership!" We agree it should be where we also looked under the garage opener section. You aren't alone. Ignore the sarcasm.

Thanks for your question/answer, since our Ford customer service was unable to help us and the usual answer..."bring it in to the dealership!" We agree it should be where we also looked under the garage opener section. You aren't alone. Ignore the sarcasm.

It's not sarcasm - it's common sense.

• Like 2

:doh: <---- Sums up this thread. If you don't know how to turn the ignition on, how in the world did you get to your garage in the first place from the dealership?

Whats next, a description of which way to turn the steering wheel to go left or right when the manual mentions something about turning the vehicle? I feel these manuals already go on too much about the common sense parts and skim on the details on things that are new or technical in nature. For example, the settings for the instrument panel are listed but there is no description what they do. Most are obvious, but there are some that need further detail. What the heck is "Parking Slot Chimes" or what does "Quiet Start" actually do different if its on or off? I failed to notice a difference on these types of settings, so I just leave them be, but it would be good to understand them a little better. And for the record, the ignition does not fall into this category. It is clearly described in the manual to push the ignition button once with no foot on the brake to bring the car to an ON state. I don't know how it can be any clearer! Turn Key to On = Push Button.

:doh: <---- Sums up this thread. If you don't know how to turn the ignition on, how in the world did you get to your garage in the first place from the dealership?

Whats next, a description of which way to turn the steering wheel to go left or right when the manual mentions something about turning the vehicle? I feel these manuals already go on too much about the common sense parts and skim on the details on things that are new or technical in nature. For example, the settings for the instrument panel are listed but there is no description what they do. Most are obvious, but there are some that need further detail. What the heck is "Parking Slot Chimes" or what does "Quiet Start" actually do different if its on or off? I failed to notice a difference on these types of settings, so I just leave them be, but it would be good to understand them a little better. And for the record, the ignition does not fall into this category. It is clearly described in the manual to push the ignition button once with no foot on the brake to bring the car to an ON state. I don't know how it can be any clearer! Turn Key to On = Push Button.

So, are you telling me that akirby and I aren't just a couple arrogant, sarcastic jackasses, but are instead thinking folks that may actually have some semblance of common sense? Nah, couldn't be.