Using Sync to read text. help please?

Sure, thats what Sync says but when you go to SYNC in your bluetooth setting there is no option for that. not in IO6 or 7

Are you on the latest MFT release (3.6)? And the latest IOS release? If so, un-pair and re-pair your phone and you should see the option.

If not do a MFT master reset, hard boot the phone and try again.

Edited by akirby

so how are people with regular sync and not my ford touch using this feature ?

this is from Ford:Please wait for a SYNC Agent to respond.

Linda says:
Hello Laz. My name is Linda how can I help you?
Laz says:
Hi, I am having an issue receiving Text through the car, I have an iphone. the directions state that the notifications need to be turn on under bloothtooth>sync but there is no option for that
Linda says:
Which vehicle do you have and the year?
Laz says:
2013 Mustang
Linda says:
The text message feature work with the MyFordTouch system and IOS6 and higher.
Laz says:
so its does not work with regular sync?
Linda says:
That is correct. Wih the Iphone.
Laz says:
is there plans to rectify this?
Linda says:
This will be done with Apple.

Didn't realize it was sync without MFT. I keep meaning to try it on the Edge to see if it works with Sync only (2008 model). It's possible it doesn't, but that would be strange because I know Sync supports reading text messages. Our 2008 Edge did it with a Motorola Razr way back in 2009. I thought it was the same protocol/profile.

Didn't realize it was sync without MFT. I keep meaning to try it on the Edge to see if it works with Sync only (2008 model). It's possible it doesn't, but that would be strange because I know Sync supports reading text messages.

I'm not sure if it's Sync or the phone that does it--when I get the "New message from <sender>. You can say..." message in my truck, I'm pretty sure that's Windows Phone giving the prompt. (FWIW, my personal phone is Windows Phone; my work phone is an iPhone.) When I ask Sync to read my last text message, it says my phone is unsupported.

Thanks for the ideas. I did get closer last night, but the system went back to my phone doesn't do bt messaging. I deleted the phone and un-paired. When I added the phone back in I got the prompt to allow MAP. When I finished I asked to read messages and sync said I had no new messages. This morning the system didn't retain the settings, so I'll have to keep looking for that elusive setting. I may try to unpair phone and see if there are more options?

I found out how to keep sync connected to this function, I'm a little slow with this stuff. When I started the car the phone had notifications for MAP and contacts. Before choosing allow, I checked the boxes that said "don't ask me again". This makes it automatically allow every time I start the car. Sync only allows me to send the pre-canned messages back, but that's okay.

I hope my fumbling around on this forum helps someone else get things working.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so how are people with regular sync and not my ford touch using this feature ?

this is from Ford:Please wait for a SYNC Agent to respond.

Linda says:

Hello Laz. My name is Linda how can I help you?

Laz says:

Hi, I am having an issue receiving Text through the car, I have an iphone. the directions state that the notifications need to be turn on under bloothtooth>sync but there is no option for that

Linda says:

Which vehicle do you have and the year?

Laz says:

2013 Mustang

Linda says:

The text message feature work with the MyFordTouch system and IOS6 and higher.

Laz says:

so its does not work with regular sync?

Linda says:

That is correct. Wih the Iphone.

Laz says:

is there plans to rectify this?

Linda says:

This will be done with Apple.

2008 Explorer with early Sync system:

Text message read worked great with my Motorola Admiral phone and Android op system. My employer established ipone as the company standard and I received one so I switched to Apple - Sync will not read text messages.

As I always say, if the iPhone is the future of awesome, I am glad there is skiing and mountain biking...

Didn't realize it was sync without MFT. I keep meaning to try it on the Edge to see if it works with Sync only (2008 model). It's possible it doesn't, but that would be strange because I know Sync supports reading text messages. Our 2008 Edge did it with a Motorola Razr way back in 2009. I thought it was the same protocol/profile.

I bet it will work with Motorola and Android as my previous post says. 2008 Sync will not read text with iPhone.

No it does not. And I think it only worked on some Motorolas, not all.

My understanding is it used to work with Motorola's, prior to the Jelly Bean update when Moto changed their bluetooth MAP. I can only confirm that I can't get my F-150 (Sync with MyFord, but not MFT) to read text messages from my Droid Razr.

My understanding is it used to work with Motorola's, prior to the Jelly Bean update when Moto changed their bluetooth MAP. I can only confirm that I can't get my F-150 (Sync with MyFord, but not MFT) to read text messages from my Droid Razr.

My wife's 2008 Edge read text messages from her original RAZR when we first got it back in 2008.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Both devices have to support the same protocol.

It's like saying, 'I don't understand why this genius German person can't understand English. He's smart. I'm smart. We should be able to understand each other perfectly.'

And I might also add that standards implementations in mobile computing are spotty, and the standards themselves are far from it.

We went from a happy world where protocols were incredibly robust (USB, SVGA, SATA, PCIe, TCP/IP, HTTP) and *generally* well implemented (with the exception of IE and Javascript and CSS), to this crazy world of mobile computing where interfacing between devices has basically returned us to late 70s/early 80s PC mode.