FORD NHRA Sponsorship

Here's a better question - does anybody really care any more? NASCAR has been a spec series for decades where the rules are manipulated to ensure close competition (or to give certain teams/brands an advantage if you believe that). Any advantage that one mfr or team finds will be neutralized to keep the competition close. That's why you don't see much domination. And it's way more about the car setup than the driver or the brand sticker.

Here's a better question - does anybody really care any more?

This is from Frank DeFord's commentary on NPR's Morning Edition yesterday:

As the NASCAR season climaxes, America's prime motor sport continues to see its popularity in decline. For several years now, revenues and sponsorship have plummeted, leaving an audience that increasingly resembles the stereotype that NASCAR so desperately thought it could grow beyond: Older, white, Dixie working-class.

While ESPN and the Turner Broadcasting Company, longtime NASCAR networks, took a look at the down graphs and the down-scale demographics and didn't even bother to bid on the new TV contract.

-- http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=241606900

I was a big Winston Cup fan, but I lost a lot of interest when they started racing stickered-up Taurii in the late-'90s. When they took away Darlington's second race to give it to some yahoos in in California, that pretty well tore it. When they allowed Toyotas to race, the last part of NASCAR died, as far as I'm concerned...

Edited by SoonerLS

Ovals are boring. The cars aren't even close to stock. The rules are designed to prevent one brand or team from having an advantage. The technology is decades old. 2 or 3 teams dominate.

What's not to like?

How about a new Trans-Am series with near stock Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers on road courses?

Ford's future in NASCAR...basically only Roush and Penske teams.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Ford is in Nascar because the Ford family has been loyal to people like Yates, Roush, the Wood Brothers. These people earn their livelihoods in Nascar, and Ford has helped them out.

Ford has no interest in 'conquering' Nascar, but they're not going to pull the rug out from under people that have taken care of them--shoot, the Wood brothers and their pit crews helped Ford win at LeMans. Frankly, I think this is why Richard Petty finally switched to Ford.

• Like 1

Ovals are boring. The cars aren't even close to stock. The rules are designed to prevent one brand or team from having an advantage. The technology is decades old. 2 or 3 teams dominate.

What's not to like?

How about a new Trans-Am series with near stock Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers on road courses?

Like this: http://www.grand-am.com/Photos/ContinentalTIre.aspx

081013_RDAM_BC_40507.jpg

Now that ALMS and GrandAm are merging and will be run by IMSA (http://www.imsa.com/), maybe road racing in the US will get better.

• Like 1

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Ford is in Nascar because the Ford family has been loyal to people like Yates, Roush, the Wood Brothers. These people earn their livelihoods in Nascar, and Ford has helped them out.

Ford has no interest in 'conquering' Nascar, but they're not going to pull the rug out from under people that have taken care of them--shoot, the Wood brothers and their pit crews helped Ford win at LeMans. Frankly, I think this is why Richard Petty finally switched to Ford.

Loyalty is fine but the wonderful days of Roush, Robert Yates and the Woods Brothers is history. I love to reflect back at the glory days of Davey Allison, Bill Elliott, Mark Martin...but they are gone and NASCAR is dominated by Gibbs Toyota and Hendrix Chevies. Its disgraceful to see the Fords getting their butts kicked almost every race. They have yet to dominate any race. Kenseth saw the writing on the wall. Problem is exactly what you said about Ford being loyal to Roush. The old saying of what wins on Sunday sells on Monday is long gone.! Ford brings a knife to a gunfight every race weekend! I say get out now to avoid any further embarrassment!

Edited by bobbyd

Loyalty is fine but the wonderful days of Roush, Robert Yates and the Woods Brothers is history.

Here's the deal Bobby:

If it weren't for Roush, Yates and the Wood Brothers, Ford would be *out* of Nascar.

It's not that they're putting these teams ahead of winning, they're putting these teams ahead of leaving Nascar entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

WHy is FORD dropping the NHRA sponsership of Funny Cars ??????????????

NHRA is better than NASCAR crap, FORD do you want Toyota to dominate all racing ???????????

Speaking of Racing, just read that Trevor Bayne (Roush NASCAR driver) has been diagnosed with MS! A True challenge for that young man!