New Lincoln Sedan?

Definitely, but being based on the Flex is not what kept Lincoln from making a really good MKT. The MKT is a good vehicle, just poorly executed in the design department, which limits it's appeal greatly. The Flex has more legroom in the second row than the Explorer, and is actually a bit longer than the Explorer (IIRC), and those are two qualities that luxury buyers would really like. If the MKT just wasn't so damned homely!

Oh, I agree the designers fell completely flat with the parameters they were given. I think those overall parameters are limiting in and of themselves though. No other low-slung, large CUVs on the market have been particularly successful either. The higher, more traditional stance of the Explorer gives it a big leg up from the get go.

• Like 1

I thought explorer is longer than flex despite the middle row legroom? The kicker is that the Taurus is longer than either due to its overhangs! If memory serves the MkS/T are longer yet.

Actually the Flex is longer in both wheelbase and length then the Explorer.

The Taurus actually about an inch longer than the Flex!

Good to know info since the SHO I have just fits in the garage (got the bumper once with the garage door, but was able to buff it out), if I get an Explorer down the road.