If F-150 is delayed, these dealers are going to be pissed

Ford dealers are racing to stockpile 2014 F-150 pickups ahead of the launch of the next-generation model.

Some dealers have requested as many as 20 percent more F-150s than usual, fearful that a shutdown of Ford Motor Co.’s Dearborn Truck Plant for retooling next summer could strain the supply of the best-selling vehicle in the country. Ford’s other truck plant, in Kansas City, Mo., will be retooled later next year.

Production of the current-model F-150 could drop as much as 10 percent next year because of the planned stoppages. For buyers, that could mean a shortage of trucks and the sweet deals that normally accompany model-yearicon1.png changeovers.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131213/AUTO0102/312130038#ixzz2nN7iGyHq

I'd thought they made them in two plants, allowing for a staggered changeover.

They do, Dearborn and Kansas City, MO, so there will be a staggered changeover. However, that doesn't change the fact that each plant will be down for a couple weeks, followed by slow production for a while as they work out the kinks, thus reducing the number of trucks produced.

Would it be in Ford's interest to delay switch over of the second plant while '15 production issues get ironed out,

that way Ford effectively extends '14 inventory while limiting the production and pace of new '15 trucks....

I know this is happening anyway but further delaying the second plant switchover could be a way out......

Edited by jpd80

Jansas city now has three shifts running as of August,

I'm not sure why the guys over-ordering on the '14s would be PO'd if there's a delay--they'll have trucks in stock to sell. I'd think they'd be more concerned if there aren't any delays, as they could end up with lots full of lame ducks...

This is just dealers wanting to hedge their bet on whether the '15 will be delayed or not.

They complain that Ford's allocation formula may deny them sufficient stock to get through if there are delays but don't want excessive stock if '15 is on time...

Looks like there will be a decently long phase in with the '15 truck as Kansas city is now on three shifts and will build '14s through to December next year.