New Lincoln Commercial

Shouldn't have mentioned "Edsel Ford" if they are trying to establish Lincoln Motor Company as it's own company separate from Ford.

Edsel Ford was THE driving force behind the acquisition of Lincoln and the creation of Mercury....to not mention him would be a huge disservice to him and a slap in the face of the Ford family legacy.

Edsel Ford was THE driving force behind the acquisition of Lincoln and the creation of Mercury....to not mention him would be a huge disservice to him and a slap in the face of the Ford family legacy.

True, but if one of your goals of re-introducing Lincoln is to create an image of a brand that has nothing to do with Ford then mentioning that just reminds people that Lincoln is a Ford product. I know they have been working hard at attempting to separate the companies at least in a marketing sense so that is why the mention of Edsel Ford surprised me.

True, but if one of your goals of re-introducing Lincoln is to create an image of a brand that has nothing to do with Ford then mentioning that just reminds people that Lincoln is a Ford product. I know they have been working hard at attempting to separate the companies at least in a marketing sense so that is why the mention of Edsel Ford surprised me.

You're reading too much into a name. Edsel Ford is not Ford Motor Company and it would be silly not to mention him in a historic commercial.

Edsel Ford is not Ford Motor Company.

Pretty much sure that most would equate this name (and any other historic or current Ford family name) with the Ford Motor Company. It's not a huge deal, but I know they have been trying to market Lincoln as not being a Ford product so I was just surprised when his name popped up. To be honest I don't think people knowing that Lincoln is a Ford brand is a bad thing, but current Lincoln marketing has been trying to separate them. I'm not sure how successful it has been, but maybe in time people will start to think of Lincoln as it's own company.

just-imho^&^^&^^^

FLincMoCo isn't trying to hide its Ford heritage

but

establish its identity (which they're still developing).

When the vehicles and everything else about ownership are distinctive,

everything will be as it should be.

Great spot, though hopefully there's some more coming for this campaign - it can only be "Hello, again" for so long until they look ridiculous or like a broken record.

As for the "mystery car", how anyone can't see it's an MKZ is beyond me I'm afraid...

otoh

it sorta "sets the stage"...

...let it taper off in the near future

then

next winter(?), "Say 'HELLO' to the AllNew MKX!"

sorta like "Drive One" started solo but became a unifier for later commercials

Pretty much sure that most would equate this name (and any other historic or current Ford family name) with the Ford Motor Company. It's not a huge deal, but I know they have been trying to market Lincoln as not being a Ford product so I was just surprised when his name popped up. To be honest I don't think people knowing that Lincoln is a Ford brand is a bad thing, but current Lincoln marketing has been trying to separate them. I'm not sure how successful it has been, but maybe in time people will start to think of Lincoln as it's own company.

And Lincoln is not trying to distance itself from Ford Motor Company as a parent - just trying to show that it's operating somewhat independently now.

You're obsessed with Lincoln calling itself a Motor Company. It's just a name.

And Lincoln is not trying to distance itself from Ford Motor Company as a parent - just trying to show that it's operating somewhat independently now.

You're obsessed with Lincoln calling itself a Motor Company. It's just a name.

Exactly. I doubt there are many (if any) buyers out there who aren't aware Lincoln is part of Ford Motor Company. There's no point in trying to pretend they are not. They can still distance themselves in terms of product and experience without having to distance itself from ownership.

Has Cadillac pushed any real effort to make people forget they are part of GM? Not really.

Nor Lexus from Toyota or Acura from Honda or Infiniti from Nissan or Audi from VW, etc. etc. etc.

Eh, some of the newer brands had done a good job distancing themselves from their parent brand. For some time the buying public on average was blissfully unaware of the Lexus-Toyota and Infiniti-Nissan connections. Those brands had the advantage of starting completely new though. From the very beginning they could shape their marketing to make no references to their parent companies if they so chose. In the long run though I'm not really sure how big a difference it makes though.

Agreed - and being able to start with brand new dealerships was a big help in that. I just meant that you don't see Lexus hiding being owned by and sharing platforms with Toyota.

The only thing that matters for Lincoln right now is to make great vehicles regardless of the platform or what it shares with Ford and to provide a premium customer service experience to go with it.

Edsel had always pushed for Lincoln (and Mercury) to be the best....as the ad says, "Father builds the most popular cars in the world, I want to build the best cars."....Now, Lincoln is doing just that...I would LOVE to see an "Edsel Ford Signature edition"...Prussian Blue....all the latest tech....limit them to say, 1000 of each line.....

Edsel had always pushed for Lincoln (and Mercury) to be the best....as the ad says, "Father builds the most popular cars in the world, I want to build the best cars."....Now, Lincoln is doing just that...I would LOVE to see an "Edsel Ford Signature edition"...Prussian Blue....all the latest tech....limit them to say, 1000 of each line.....

I think putting the Ford name anywhere on the vehicles themselves would be taking the association a bit far.