Volkswagen labor leader threatens to block Chattanooga investment

Len_A

"I can imagine fairly well that another VW factory in the United States, provided that one more should still be set up there, does not necessarily have to be assigned to the South again," Osterloh said in a report published Wednesday by German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung. "If co-determination isn't guaranteed in the first place, we as workers will hardly be able to vote in favor."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vw-labor-reps-to-seek-works-council-at-us-plant-2014-02-16

VW has established a works council at all of its foreign plants with the exception of Chattanooga and its plants in China.

The most direct route to creating a works council would have been for workers to accept U.A.W. representation. But now VW's German works council officials are looking for a way to get around U.S. law that appears to require union representation to create a works council.

"I can imagine fairly well that another VW factory in the United States, provided that one more should still be set up there, does not necessarily have to be assigned to the South again," Osterloh said in a report published Wednesday by German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung. "If co-determination isn't guaranteed in the first place, we as workers will hardly be able to vote in favor."

It seems that the republican opposition to unions in the south has it's disadvantages, especially since they could get some substantial breaks in northern states too.

The next year will be interesting as the workers might have to join some union in order to form a work council, given that company formed unions ARE illegal, not appears to be illegal.

• Like 1

The workers can unite themselves without paying tribute to a "national" union without violating the law.

Form an independent union? Possible? Technically yes, practically very, very difficult.

Personally, I would find it very ironic if the involvement of people like Corker led the Tennessee plant to lose product opportunity to Mexico. What is telling is that Corker, Norquist, et al have yet to be heard from on this latest news.

Form an independent union? Possible? Technically yes, practically very, very difficult.

Personally, I would find it very ironic if the involvement of people like Corker led the Tennessee plant to lose product opportunity to Mexico. What is telling is that Corker, Norquist, et al have yet to be heard from on this latest news.

If they lose it to Mexico that pretty much tells you how the VW feels about potentially working with the UAW though.

If they lose it to Mexico that pretty much tells you how the VW feels about potentially working with the UAW though.

Not really. Would more likely be a bitch slap to Corker, Norquist, et al, from IG Metall, one of the most militant unions in the manufacturing world, and not an organization I would choose to f**k with. Look how much trouble they, and their German government allies, have given GM on trying to cut Opal's losses. And then also keep in mind that one of VW's biggest shareholders is the government of the German province where VW is headquartered. The whole "worker co-determination" thing is not only big in Germany, it's huge, and the since VW badly wants a worker council in Tennessee, like they have every where else in the world, they needed the UAW to win. The y're going to have a hell of a time setting up a council where the workers (hourly) are independently represented, wihtout a union. Almost anything they set up would be viewed as a company sponsored union, which is illegal under American labor law.

• Like 1

My understanding from reading various articles is Corker's comments went largely ignored/unheard by many (most?) of the VW workers. I don't know what Norquist's involvement was, beyond some local billboards.

Whatever anyone's opinion, I think the facts are Corker's/Norquist's influence came from outside the plant, whereas the UAW's was from inside the plant--up to and including providing access to the workers, access to offices where presentations could be made, and VW generally keeping a hands-off approach. If reports I've heard are accurate, the (internal) opposition did NOT have such consideration.

The decision where to make new product will be a business decision, not a political one.

My understanding from reading various articles is Corker's comments went largely ignored/unheard by many (most?) of the VW workers. I don't know what Norquist's involvement was, beyond some local billboards.

Whatever anyone's opinion, I think the facts are Corker's/Norquist's influence came from outside the plant, whereas the UAW's was from inside the plant--up to and including providing access to the workers, access to offices where presentations could be made, and VW generally keeping a hands-off approach. If reports I've heard are accurate, the (internal) opposition did NOT have such consideration.

The decision where to make new product will be a business decision, not a political one.

You are largely correct. And yes, where to put product is a business decision, except in this case, they will have the influence of IG Metall in that decision.

Has no one here ever leveraged their patronage of a business to extract a better deal?

Hey, ATT, Verizon is offering a cheaper version of XXXXXXXXX phone, or their plan is $20 cheaper. I'm out of contract and I'm leaving because you're not the best deal for me.

"Oh, we're sorry, let me connect you with our Retention Department."

How is that NOT the same as VW leveraging Mexico against Tennessee?

The same applies to employers.

Hey, Boss. Thanks for the 4" tall plastic trophy for being named your "Employee Of The Year" Award, since I managed the new program that we sold for $100 Gazzillion to Google.

I put it in the toilet tank so I would use a pint less water when I flush.

By the way, I'm leaving for your competitor. They offered me $2.00 a week more. /s

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

Maybe that could get these guys to go to SC ......and some on here can't understand why unions have such a bad name....

Union Members Indicted for Burning Down Quaker Church

.........Ten members of a Philadelphia ironworkers union face charges of arson and racketeering in connection with a fire against the church, which was employing non-union workers.

http://freebeacon.com/union-members-indicted-for-burning-down-quaker-church/

Nikki Hailey just told employers with unions they are not welcome in South Carolina. No Ford, GM or Chrysler plants.

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/5642703/gov-nikki-haley-no-unions-for-sc/

It's ok...Governor Cuomo (D-NY) just told Remington Arms in Illion that they don't want "those kind" of jobs making guns in NY State....welcome to Alabama, Remington....

• Like 1

What a cunt. Sorry if that offends anyone, but what a cunt.

I admire her for her honesty and saying what she means without dancing around the question like the majority of politicians do.

Unions need to improve their image and re-invent themselves to make people have a desire to join instead of forced membership through legislation from the top down.

It matters little if its Obama care or joining a union, if its good and beneficial that word travels faster than BS advertising.

The UAW has a better arrest / conviction record than a legacy of helping its members currently.