Toyota to recall nearly 6.5 million vehicles for steering, other faults

blwnsmoke

Might as well get all the recalls out there while everyone else is doing it..

http://news.yahoo.com/toyota-says-recall-6-58-million-vehicles-steering-050257442--sector.html

Toyota Motor Corp, in its second-largest recall announcement, said on Wednesday that it would call back 6.39 million vehicles globally after uncovering five different faults involving parts ranging from steering to seats.
The world's biggest automaker said it was not aware of any crashes or injuries caused by the glitches, which were found in 27 Toyota models including the RAV4 and Yaris subcompact.

In the largest of the recalls announced on Wednesday, Toyota said some 3.5 million vehicles were being recalled to replace a spiral cable that could be damaged when the steering wheel is turned. That could cause the air bag to fail in the event of a crash, the automaker said.

In the second-largest of the Toyota recalls, some 2.32 million three-door models made between January 2005 and August 2010 are being recalled to check for a fault in the seat rails that could cause the seat to slide forward in a crash, risking injury for the driver or passengers.

The other recalls are for faulty steering column brackets, windshield wiper motors and engine starters.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Yes.. even for Toyota which I can't stand, I have no issues with manufacturers having recalls as long as they do it timely. I don't take recalls as a negative thing in my eyes as long as it's handled appropriately.

Right - provided it doesn't show a continued pattern of engineering/assembly mistakes that should have been caught prior to production. That would indicate bigger problems.

I've been hearing that the new Camry causes people to fall asleep while driving it. It apparently is having the same effect on people at auto shows who look at it. Is there a recall planned for this, too?

Were you referring to the MID-CYCLE HEAVILY REFRESH CAMRY coming up unveiling at the auto show?

It's an improvement and current Camry buyers will like it, but it won't garner any new conquest sales based on what I saw.

I'm not sure that will be enough. Based on what I've seen, the typical age of Camry drivers has been trending older these past few years.

I'm not sure that will be enough. Based on what I've seen, the typical age of Camry drivers has been trending older these past few years.

It's simple the buyers who buy a Camry are largely happy with them and return to buy another. If you continue to cater solely to the crowd that purchased back in '92 then you eventually run out of living buyers. See Buick and olds.

Honda has been successful in grabbing younger buyers while retaining the old ones due to a better driving feel and the coupe. Not to mention the civic, which younger people actually want to own and then move up to the accord as they start families. Only people who buy a corolla are older or paranoid about anything non Toyota.