Social Security running out of $$$ again......

I can't pass this up.

What was Obama's GPA? We've seen W's, but Obama's grades have been kept a tighter secret than the blueprints for the next Presidential helicopter.

And just who was Obama's connection to Harvard?

Come on "Fired" you know the answer. Being coy? Affirmative Action, EEO, Diversity Initiatives, is that what you really meant? Guess that "hand" is as strong as having Papa as an Alumni, huh? While your searching for "O`s" GPA, maybe you can search for "W`s" missing Air National Guard attendance records from the time he was supposed to finish his 6 year service when he allegedly (transferred ) from the TX ANG to the Alabama ANG yet no one remembers seeing "W" show up for his monthly Drill obligations? NO Payroll records either, hmmmm?

Come on "Fired" you know the answer. Being coy? Affirmative Action, EEO, Diversity Initiatives, is that what you really meant? Guess that "hand" is as strong as having Papa as an Alumni, huh? While your searching for "O`s" GPA, maybe you can search for "W`s" missing Air National Guard attendance records from the time he was supposed to finish his 6 year service when he allegedly (transferred ) from the TX ANG to the Alabama ANG yet no one remembers seeing "W" show up for his monthly Drill obligations? NO Payroll records either, hmmmm?

YOU brought up the grades. I just asked for reciprocity.

Prosperity comes from creating a fertile environment for investment. When that happens, companies will be out-bidding each other for workers. When the government forces expensive rules on private businesses, they find ways around it; like cutting wages and reducing the workforce and increasing the workloads of employees. Companies seek out greener pastures, so there are more unemployed than job openings. Then supply and demand pushes wages lower. Government responds by enacting minimum wage laws, and raising taxes to support all of the displaced people who were displaced because of their meddling in the free market. When they tax everybody to the limit, they fire up the printing presses until they destroy the currency.

Prosperity comes from creating a fertile environment for investment. When that happens, companies will be out-bidding each other for workers. When the government forces expensive rules on private businesses, they find ways around it; like cutting wages and reducing the workforce and increasing the workloads of employees. Companies seek out greener pastures, so there are more unemployed than job openings. Then supply and demand pushes wages lower. Government responds by enacting minimum wage laws, and raising taxes to support all of the displaced people who were displaced because of their meddling in the free market. When they tax everybody to the limit, they fire up the printing presses until they destroy the currency.

Make sure you renew your Membership in the Koch Brothers Super Pac, "Americans For Prosperity". Think some of that (prosperity) might rub off on you? I owned and ran a Small Family Business that employed between 5 and 7 People many years ago. in early 1977, I took the easy way out and engaged in working for the Federal Government for the next 33 years before retiring over 3 years ago. I must admit, I probably was over paid and un-worked and received way too many benefits & entitlements thanks to you and every tax payer. Do I feel guilty? Should I? Perhaps if the other Government bail-outs and entitlements to Big Agra, Big Oil, Big Pharma, and our Military Industrial Complex was reduced or eliminated, maybe. According to the US Chambers of Commerce and Fox News, (inflating Wages) would result in immediate Job Loss, or Lay Offs, really? Got a question, if Walmart had to raise the wages tomorrow of its Cashiers from say $8 @ hr to say $12@ hr, what would happen? They would stop hiring? Lay off existing Employees? Reduce and cut their hours and benefits? Bull Shit! If you need "X" many pairs of (Hands) to Flip Burgers, drop Fry`s in baskets of hot oil, ring up Sales at cash registers, they will continue to pay these Employees whatever wage increases they are required to pay. Sure Burger King and McDonalds may have to raise the price of one of their un-eatible tasteless Burgers by a nickel or a dime, so what? Think it will cut Sales? Bacon is $8 @ pound and there is a Bacon Shortage! You want to eliminate Big Government overreach. Kill off the EPA, want your Water and Air quality to be like China`s? Get rid of organized labor and the NLRB, fine. Forget about 40 work weeks, overtime and Holiday pay, and while your at it, bring back Child labor. Lets eliminate OSHA too, way too many rules and safety regulations. As I Posted earlier, Google search Triangle Shirt-Waist Factory Fire, NYC. Couldn`t happen today without Fed Govt oversite, right? Coal Mine Safety, nonsense, when you take the elevator down into the Shaft, you know ahead of time the risks of Black-Lung Disease and possible cave ins. The Robber barons of the early 20th century couldn`t have presented your premise better.

PS: Just curious, "Hamilton, Ontario"? You appear to be pretty angry assuming your a Canadian? I have Family and Friends throughout Canada. Yes, they complain that everything is more expensive there then down South here in the USA. They pay more for Clothing, Gasoline,Food, and a much higher Tax rate. Most just shrug their shoulders and say, "Its the price we must pay to remain, Canadian". I bet you hate your National Socialized HealthCare too assuming your a Canadian Citizen. Long waits for elective surgery, fewer choices of Doctors and Hospitals etc. Only thing worse is living in the USA and being either un-insured or under-insured with a make believe Health Plan with low limits and virtually little coverage. Thats unless, of course your (over) 65 and eligible for MediCare or meet the requirements of Medicaid, where the Federal Government picks up the entire tab with no Deductibles or Co-Pays at Tax payers expense. If your looking for "Utopia", you won`t find it in this Life. Not sure if things will improve on the "other side of the Bridge" either. Might just become Compost and Worm Food!

• Like 1

YOU brought up the grades. I just asked for reciprocity.

Point taken. I just took the liberty to (expand) your thought about "records" being kept secret or sealed. Your correct, academic records bare more weight then a missing trail of Military Service that appears he never completed but was granted a Honorable Discharge regardless. True, Obama never served but never had to either since there was no longer a Draft thanks to a all volunteer Military. George W on the other hand was subject to the Draft during the Vietnam Conflict and thanks to his Fathers political connections and TX Congressman Benson found a coveted opening in the TX Air National Guard which had at the time, an endless Wait List. Nice to have a "hook" eh?

if Walmart had to raise the wages tomorrow of its Cashiers from say $8 @ hr to say $12@ hr, what would happen? They would stop hiring? Lay off existing Employees? Reduce and cut their hours and benefits? Bull Shit! If you need "X" many pairs of (Hands) to Flip Burgers, drop Fry`s in baskets of hot oil, ring up Sales at cash registers, they will continue to pay these Employees whatever wage increases they are required to pay. Sure Burger King and McDonalds may have to raise the price of one of their un-eatible tasteless Burgers by a nickel or a dime, so what? Think it will cut Sales?

And what if those minimum wage jobs can be automated for $10/hour? What do you think will happen? If the higher cost of doing business is not the same everywhere then you will simply drive business away from the higher cost areas and towards the lower cost areas.

Let's say I employ 10 people at minimum wage today for 8 hours per day. You just raised my costs $320/day or $1920/week for a 6 day work week. That's a hell of a lot more than a dime increase on a burger. Raising your wages won't help at all if the cost of living goes up by the same amount at the same time. You didn't help the people making minimum wage - you just made everything more expensive for everyone else.

The fallacy is that you can force a business to spend more money that it has to either through wages, benefits or corporate taxes. If those are too expensive then a business will find an alternative or they'll just go out of business. Businesses don't pay taxes.

Show me a person who is still earning minimum wage after 3 years and I'll show you a person who is lazy and unwilling to do anything to better themselves.

• Like 1

The fallacy is that you can force a business to spend more money that it has to either through wages, benefits or corporate taxes. If those are too expensive then a business will find an alternative or they'll just go out of business. Businesses don't pay taxes.

Show me a person who is still earning minimum wage after 3 years and I'll show you a person who is lazy and unwilling to do anything to better themselves.

The 1st sentence nails it.

Its the same mindset that thinks "we are going to put it to the company" and those added costs either go to the customers or comes out of employee wages & benefits.

As to the 2nd some people are only mentally capable or physically challenged to hold a basic level of employment job.

One person collects disability for arthritis in one hand classified as disabled while a one armed person is working at Walmart.

For some the desire to work is greater than the pursuit of seeking disability.

Funny you should mention that. I saw a lady on Judge Judy last year who was on disability because she had arthritis in one hand.

My neighbor only has one arm and makes a 6 figure living. It just depends on whether you want to work or not.

• Like 2

Funny you should mention that. I saw a lady on Judge Judy last year who was on disability because she had arthritis in one hand.

My neighbor only has one arm and makes a 6 figure living. It just depends on whether you want to work or not.

Sounds pretty picayune, but the pain from just one hand can be excruciating, especially if it's osteoarthritis, one hand can be enough. But if she's on JJ, she's obviously some welfare slob.

As to jobs, if you want to work, you can find something — for now.

You may find that in 30 years, those opportunities may be disappearing, unless you want to put restrictions on robotics, and that probably won't be possible.

Moore's Law is alive and well, and the next generation of 'Expert Systems' or primitive 'AI' may get rid of a lot of office jobs. As commercial vehicles become robotic, as robotic assembly moves into construction, things just aren't going to be like they were.

Ironically, this could be a boon to conservatives. If jobs disappear because of cybernetic tech created by a tiny number of tech wizards, then it could be a golden opportunity to really cut back on education costs.

Seriously, if there are no jobs, why spend the money on education? It's not like watching JJ calls for any kind of cerebral chops. The future may be 98% Honey Boo Boo and 2% tech wizard. :)

Since welfare payments got capped, the long term freeloaders have turned to disability. There is a town in Kentucky where an attorney makes a living getting people approved for disability and a judge who approves almost every single case.

The report documents how Conn allegedly worked together with Administrative Law Judge David Daugherty and a team of favored doctors with checkered pasts, including suspended licenses in other states, who rubber stamped approval of disability claims. In most cases, the claims had been prepared in advance with nearly identical language by staffers in Conn's law office.

The report found that over the past six years, Conn allegedly paid five doctors almost $2 million to provide favorable disability opinions for his claimants.

In 2010, the last year for which records are available, Daugherty approved 1375 disability cases prepared by Conn's office and denied only 4 of them - an approval rate that other administrative law judges have described as nearly impossible.

The report found, "Judge Daugherty telephoned the Conn law firm each month and identified a list of Mr. Conn’s disability claimants to whom the judge planned to award benefits. Judge Daugherty also indicated, for each listed claimant, whether he needed a “physical” or “mental” opinion from a medical professional indicating the claimant was disabled."

Coburn's report found that, "over a four-year period from 2006 to 2010, the Social Security Administration paid Mr. Conn over $4.5 million in attorney fees." And that, "Mr. Conn was the third highest paid disability law firm in the country due to its receipt of over $3.9 million in attorney fees from the Social Security Administration."

There are millions of people who, given a choice between working for $20K/yr or sitting on their asses and collecting a check and other benefits for $10K/yr, will take the $10K.

Jobs always change. People have to adapt. Loss of jobs in one sector usually means new jobs in other sectors.

If you want more jobs here then you need to make it more advantageous for companies to locate facilities here. That means lower taxes and less regulation. Tie taxes to number of employees so that the more jobs they create the less taxes they pay. The government will make it up in personal income and payroll taxes from the employees. Cut regulation that stifles business growth unless it presents a clear and present danger to the public, water or air.

I also have a solution for welfare/disability. Give the money to the county governments instead. Each county will set up a work environment where anybody can show up and get paid just above what they could have earned on disability or welfare or unemployment. But in exchange they have to show up every M-F at 9 am and do whatever work needs to be done in the county that day. Painting, trash pickup, remodeling, cleaning, paperwork - whatever the county needs to be done. If a person has no assignment that day they can read or take online courses for free. Daycare would be provided. If you choose not to show up you don't get a dime. Anyone physically unable to leave their house can get disability.

And what if those minimum wage jobs can be automated for $10/hour? What do you think will happen? If the higher cost of doing business is not the same everywhere then you will simply drive business away from the higher cost areas and towards the lower cost areas.

Let's say I employ 10 people at minimum wage today for 8 hours per day. You just raised my costs $320/day or $1920/week for a 6 day work week. That's a hell of a lot more than a dime increase on a burger. Raising your wages won't help at all if the cost of living goes up by the same amount at the same time. You didn't help the people making minimum wage - you just made everything more expensive for everyone else.

Most Super Walmart`s have installed Self-Service Automated Checkouts. Much like Home Depot and Lowes have done. Hows that working out for both the Companies and their Customers? Not! They need to keep a (Human Being) Cashier, at the ready to assist almost every Customers transactions. I will grant you that Corporations have and will continue to move their Operations to areas with cheaper labor costs. The Tee Shirt Industry was moved off shore to Columbia in South America. Productivity and quality was never an issue. Its gone now. Moved to Bangladesh because labor there is a fraction of the previously cheap labor in Columbia. Fear not, Kirby, India has assured the West that the Caste system has worked well there for Century`s. We are just a bit behind in our regression.

The 1st sentence nails it.

Its the same mindset that thinks "we are going to put it to the company" and those added costs either go to the customers or comes out of employee wages & benefits.

As to the 2nd some people are only mentally capable or physically challenged to hold a basic level of employment job.

One person collects disability for arthritis in one hand classified as disabled while a one armed person is working at Walmart.

For some the desire to work is greater than the pursuit of seeking disability.

So whats your point. Bring back the days of the Poor House? How about bringing back the Company Store? Oh, we already have? Damn, Walmart was ahead of the curve on that one!

Edited by phil1336

Since welfare payments got capped, the long term freeloaders have turned to disability. There is a town in Kentucky where an attorney makes a living getting people approved for disability and a judge who approves almost every single case.

There are millions of people who, given a choice between working for $20K/yr or sitting on their asses and collecting a check and other benefits for $10K/yr, will take the $10K.

Jobs always change. People have to adapt. Loss of jobs in one sector usually means new jobs in other sectors.

If you want more jobs here then you need to make it more advantageous for companies to locate facilities here. That means lower taxes and less regulation. Tie taxes to number of employees so that the more jobs they create the less taxes they pay. The government will make it up in personal income and payroll taxes from the employees. Cut regulation that stifles business growth unless it presents a clear and present danger to the public, water or air.

I also have a solution for welfare/disability. Give the money to the county governments instead. Each county will set up a work environment where anybody can show up and get paid just above what they could have earned on disability or welfare or unemployment. But in exchange they have to show up every M-F at 9 am and do whatever work needs to be done in the county that day. Painting, trash pickup, remodeling, cleaning, paperwork - whatever the county needs to be done. If a person has no assignment that day they can read or take online courses for free. Daycare would be provided. If you choose not to show up you don't get a dime. Anyone physically unable to leave their house can get disability.

Kirby, I can`t argue your point. Almost all of both our newly created Full Time and Part Time Jobs are Minimum wage and concentrated now in the new growing Service Sector. How much longer before we bring back Debtors Prison? "Americans For Prosperity" and the US Chambers of Commerce will show us the way, right?

Sounds pretty picayune, but the pain from just one hand can be excruciating, especially if it's osteoarthritis, one hand can be enough. But if she's on JJ, she's obviously some welfare slob.

As to jobs, if you want to work, you can find something — for now.

You may find that in 30 years, those opportunities may be disappearing, unless you want to put restrictions on robotics, and that probably won't be possible.

Moore's Law is alive and well, and the next generation of 'Expert Systems' or primitive 'AI' may get rid of a lot of office jobs. As commercial vehicles become robotic, as robotic assembly moves into construction, things just aren't going to be like they were.

Ironically, this could be a boon to conservatives. If jobs disappear because of cybernetic tech created by a tiny number of tech wizards, then it could be a golden opportunity to really cut back on education costs.

Seriously, if there are no jobs, why spend the money on education? It's not like watching JJ calls for any kind of cerebral chops. The future may be 98% Honey Boo Boo and 2% tech wizard. :)

We are already there. Skilled (Union) Carpenters were needed to build wooden "Forms" for poured concrete in the construction of both Buildings and Bridges. Now, its all "Module" Pre-Cast" and simply bolted together like a Kit! Guess those formally skilled Craftsmen will have to adapt and learn (new) job skills. Like Detailing and polishing some Billionaires Rolls or Bentley.

How many people are employed designing, building, installing and maintaining the automated checkout equipment? Thousands, at least. Of course that type of work requires some training and effort.

We used to have thousands of telephone operators. They were made obsolete by self dialed telephones. Should we still be using operators?

Labor cost is just one component. Lowering corporate taxes and costs of meeting overreaching regulation would go a long way to offset the difference in labor costs and would encourage more companies to stay here.

I'm not against tariffs that level the playing field on labor costs from foreign manufacturing provided that's all they do.

We are already there. Skilled (Union) Carpenters were needed to build wooden "Forms" for poured concrete in the construction of both Buildings and Bridges. Now, its all "Module" Pre-Cast" and simply bolted together like a Kit! Guess those formally skilled Craftsmen will have to adapt and learn (new) job skills. Like Detailing and polishing some Billionaires Rolls or Bentley.

And who, exactly do you think builds those precast sections? Workers in factories. Same for pre-fab houses.

Here's a question for you - what happened to all those people who used to type in data to punch cards? Did they get kicked to the curb and starve to death when their jobs were eliminated?

All I hear from the liberals is whining about how bad it is. I have yet to hear a single logical proposal on how to fix it other than tax the hell out of the rich and pass some undefined laws that force corporations to operate in the U.S. and pay exorbitant tax rates.

• Like 1

Greed at the top is the only reason companies making millions/billions in profit each year pay their employees so little that the employees require government assistance to survive.

I know some will disagree and in some cases you would be correct, smart phones, drugs, drinking, etc. are not needed to survive.

Employers pay employees whatever the market says their job is worth.

If you opened a business and needed a janitor are you going to pay the janitor $20/hour? Especially when your competition is paying them minimum wage?

Companies don't make millions or billions on a single item. Ford made $2B or so last quarter but they had to sell 600,000 vehicles to do it. That's a little over $3K profit per vehicle or less than 10% profit.

Oil company profit per gallon of gasoline is something like 2 cents or less but the volume is huge.

My siblings and I have 5 children 25-33. My 4 nephews never went to college yet all 4 are married with children and have always had a job and supported themselves.

My son has worked since he was 16 and has supported himself 100% the last 2.5 years while going to graduate school.

It's amazing that all of my family and all of my friends seem to be able to find jobs and support themselves.

Most Super Walmart`s have installed Self-Service Automated Checkouts. Much like Home Depot and Lowes have done. Hows that working out for both the Companies and their Customers? Not! They need to keep a (Human Being) Cashier, at the ready to assist almost every Customers transactions.

Ever hear of ratios ?

Home Depot as an example has 6 or 8 self serve checkouts to one (1) cashier assistant. The contractors desk has a real person.

That's 8:1 ratio for self-serve and the contractors desk is a separate entity .

Instead of employing eight cashiers one (1) cashier supports the eight self serve, you do the math.

Assistance is required if you are buying age restricted items like spry paint or adhesive where it need an adult override or verification like alcohol at the grocery store.

It actually works well or they would be gone already.

Either way we the taxpayers foot the bill, employee wage at minimum we pay taxes for their food stamps etc. Pay the employees a wage that disqualifies them from federal aid and perhaps gives them a little pride in themselves and ..... well is it a break even or if not who wins ?

I was raised in a manner where if you needed food stamps or welfare you were shamed, and because of that I work. Seems many now days don't feel that shame.

http://www.alternet.org/corporate-accountability-and-workplace/how-all-us-are-paying-heavy-price-corporate-greed?paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

Edited by Ron W.
  • Like 1

Why on earth do you people keep talking about minimum wage jobs as if they're permanent?

Anyone who is not in school and who is still earning minimum wage after 2-3 years is someone who isn't trying. If they don't want to put any effort into working their way up the ladder or getting training or learning a new skill so they can get a better paying job - then I certainly don't care and I certainly don't want to support them.

My wife's great Aunt is a perfect example. Her husband died unexpectedly 30 years ago. She gets a pittance of a military widow's pension - about $800/month. She has medical issues but is perfectly capable of working. She chooses not to work except for odd house sitting jobs here and there. We used to help her out, even let her clean our house every week for extra money. She is spoiled rotten and expects everyone to give her stuff. She never says thank you for anything. She gets free dental care and complains about having to drive 20 miles to get it. We finally had to fire her from cleaning the house. Then I realized that she was perfectly capable of working if she wanted to but she was too lazy and would rather sit on her ass all day and collect her free check. We haven't helped her at all the last 10 years or so other than normal birthday and Christmas presents. That's her choice and that's fine but I'm not supporting that choice.

I also grew up in a small rural town with a large population of welfare recipients - some of them 2nd and 3rd generation. It's a lifestyle choice and they'll choose that option rather than working every day no matter what.

What people do not want to understand is-----------------> people think differently, and not everyone thinks like me, or you, or Obama, or Cruz.

In America, it USED to be you say what you wanted, and absolutely could think what you wanted. It is not that way anymore, and most disagreement is controlled by political correctness.

I would ask the people on this board a simple question----------------> how many of you are paying a taxing freight, meaning you are paying more in then you ever get back? Now for those of us that do, let us break it down into another subset-------------> how many of those that actually pay the freight, want your wealth partially transferred to others, and how many do not? The point is------> it used to be called CHARITY and it was optional. Now you make it so everyone has to pay regardless.

It is the same thing with how you live. How many of us would think living in a 700 square ft apartment demeaning? Many people are perfectly satisfied; and if someone is satisfied living as they currently live as far as home, nutrition, and transportation and can do it without working, why would they want to work?

Now look at it from the other point of view, and lets make pretend-----------------> tomorrow, somehow, someway, somebody drops 50 million dollars in your lap, AFTER you paid your taxes. Some people would invest the money conservatively and live the rest of their life in bliss. Others, would try and invest and work hard at it to turn that 50 million into 100, 200, 300, or a billion dollars. It is all a state of mind, but the truth is---------------> what anyone chooses for themselves, they should also be responsible for themselves and the choices they make.

Finally, I say think about this-------------> everyone on this board gasps when we see big scams that cost people billions. Those bloodsuckers screw the common working man, and even scam the rich. Just think of that power company in California who screwed everyone, and that clown who now sits in jail because they both fleeced millions, if not billions. (both names escape me at the moment, but I am positive you know of whom it is I speak) And yet, many of the same people who gasp at that, accept that people collect THEIR taxpayer money on false pretenses, don't care if more people are ILLEGALLY imported over the border to collect, do not mind that people who could actually help them PAY into the system scam it, and take a net benefit out, and then turn around and tell the rest of us we are somehow evil for demanding accountability on all fronts. Always remember that most scam artists never get rich of their scams, they just never have to work!

It is also a proven fact throughout history, that LEADERS who try and cement power push the masses towards blaming a certain entity for their problems; all of their problems! And who do we have being blamed today? Why rich people, and business owners. Now that is brilliant, but I can prove it is all nonsense in one paragraph.

If I, Akirby, XR, Fired, and Cal 50 all acquire 1 billion each tomorrow, how much does everyones taxes go down, and how much does your bank account drop? No change you say? Interesting! So what if we all have 2 billion today, and each lose 1 billion tomorrow? Does that affect your taxes or bank account? No? Interesting, isn't it! But what if our money is tied up in a business and the government taxes us more lowering our profit margin, for which we have to answer to our wives, or shareholders, lol? And you happen to work for me, or one of the others? Oh, now you are getting it! You see, if I am making 3% on my business, and you take 1/3 of that and drop it to 2% profit; and if I can make 2.5% profit by just investing the money and do nothing, why would I keep my business? Guess that means you and your co-workers are out of a job. Yes, you will blame it on me, but really, it was Obamas fault. Of course, you will never believe that as you try and collect your check for doing nothing.

Employers pay employees whatever the market says their job is worth.

If you opened a business and needed a janitor are you going to pay the janitor $20/hour? Especially when your competition is paying them minimum wage?

Companies don't make millions or billions on a single item. Ford made $2B or so last quarter but they had to sell 600,000 vehicles to do it. That's a little over $3K profit per vehicle or less than 10% profit.

Oil company profit per gallon of gasoline is something like 2 cents or less but the volume is huge.

My siblings and I have 5 children 25-33. My 4 nephews never went to college yet all 4 are married with children and have always had a job and supported themselves.

My son has worked since he was 16 and has supported himself 100% the last 2.5 years while going to graduate school.

It's amazing that all of my family and all of my friends seem to be able to find jobs and support themselves.

KIrby; Exxon Mobil and the other OIl Corporations only make a few pennies per gallon of Gas, right? Bet you have no problem having the Federal Government continue to give them right offs and Tax Loopholes like Oil Depletion Allowances, huh? Just as long as they are "Job Creators", giving them Corporate Welfare is fine, just as long as they don`t become "Entitlements" going to poor Folks classified as Social Welfare. Bet (both) of us paid a higher percentage of our net income in Federal Taxes then Big Oil has or ever will.