What do you want to do when you retire?

Back on topic... I tried retirement in my late 40's and it didn't work for me. I don't play golf and after building my dream garage I got bored. I started helping people turn ideas into products and or companies. Things were good until 2008. The only point is that you need to have something to do to replace your career or it gets boring fast.

I can directly relate to you. I was able to and did retire at 40. Moved to Arizona and all was well until one day I woke up and found the highlight of my day was walking in the pool with the cardiac group, plus my wife was telling me I really needed to find something to do. I went back to work in a completely new field and after 20 year decided to retire again. I then opened my own consulting business. Looking back, I wish I had done that sooner than later.

• Like 1

LOL! Hermans I guess the point to all of this is...those who are "workers" or have a work ethic can't get it out of their system even if they want to. I see a lot of 3rd generation welfare that seem to lay around all day just fine! LOL!

GB2 that says it all. Just finishing up 3rd coat of stain on the house- then jumping in the Mack this afternoon to haul 3 loads of gravel for a buddy. Would you say we learned this at the dinner table many years ago?? :)

I'm only 30 so I have a long time before I can even begin to think about retirement. Hopefully, when the time comes, I can retire and will be financially sound enough to be able to go on multiple hunting trips a year. I guess I better make sure I am in good enough shape at that age to be able to accomplish such.

I wonder if Social Security will be available 40 years down the road....

I'm only 30 so I have a long time before I can even begin to think about retirement. Hopefully, when the time comes, I can retire and will be financially sound enough to be able to go on multiple hunting trips a year. I guess I better make sure I am in good enough shape at that age to be able to accomplish such.

Sure. It's just a question of what the checks will be worth.

It's never to early to start thinking about it. If you aren't already, you should be saving since we can't depend on SS.

There are plenty of examples out there of how saving just a little bit in your 20s and 30s will balloon significantly by the time you retire. I waited a few years to start saving and wish I had started sooner. It also helps to have 2 people with 401ks and company pensions. We both have 28 years with the same company. My wife is planning to retire in the next 5 years - I'll probably go another 8 or 9 until the house is paid off. Then we're outta here.

If I ever get anything from SS it will be gravy. I'm not planning on it.

I started saving 10% of my salary straight out of college at the age of 21, upping that to 15% a year or two later. I'm now 38, and I can attest that compounding interest (or dividends, stock gains, etc) is a wonderful thing! Sadly, there are plenty of people my age who don't contribute anything to their retirement and don't have a dime set aside. It is NEVER too early to start saving for retirement, even if it is only 50, 30, or even 5 bucks / month. ROTH IRAs are wonderful things too.

Kid qualified #1, went a few rounds and got enough points to get into the team race. (where the top 3 cars in each class from each of the 4 local tracks square off)

And coming to work this morning I'm thinking...WTF am I doing coming here....I should be home servicing the dragster for next weekend...

• 2 months later...