Be careful when considering a Ford w/ Active Park Assist!!

I'm just venting some of my frustrations as well as looking to get some feedback from some of you guys.

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion that has Ford's Active Park Assist feature which is supposed to parallel park the car completely for you. It takes over the steering while you control the pedals and follow the car's instructions (remove hands from steering wheel, shift to reverse, shift to drive, etc.) until the car is done and perfectly (or so they say) parallel parked.
My car does park itself correctly, occasionally. The majority of the time, this is what it does:

Here's where my frustration comes in. I've taken it into the dealerships (2 different dealers) 4 separate times. They've updated all the software, tested all the sensors, even replaced the parking control module, and at this point in time have had me come pick up the car because they don't know what else to do to fix it, leaving me with a car that doesn't function properly.
While some of you probably might say "first world problems" to this, this feature was one of the main things that attracted me to this car and I gladly paid extra for the option. On top of that, I truly think it's a huge safety concern. Active Park Assist requires the driver to relinquish control of the steering to the car and in my car's case, it hits curbs, stops when it's clearly not finished (leaving the car halfway into traffic), and on multiple occasions has tried to hit the car in front of me. If I hadn't intervened during those occasions, it would've scraped the cars quite badly. If someone other than myself drives the car (valet, family, etc.) and doesn't know the feature is not working properly (as the car displays no fault codes, error messages etc. as the car thinks everything is working properly), there is a huge liability and safety risk for other vehicles, my vehicle, and as well as those driving/in my car and we all know who the fault would end up on if something like that happened (hint: not Ford).
If anyone has any advice/feedback/comments or has even possibly dealt with something similar, your feedback would we welcome as I'm losing my patience with this car (I haven't even mentioned any of the other problems with it).

I'm just venting some of my frustrations as well as looking to get some feedback from some of you guys.

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion that has Ford's Active Park Assist feature which is supposed to parallel park the car completely for you. It takes over the steering while you control the pedals and follow the car's instructions (remove hands from steering wheel, shift to reverse, shift to drive, etc.) until the car is done and perfectly (or so they say) parallel parked.
My car does park itself correctly, occasionally. The majority of the time, this is what it does:

Here's where my frustration comes in. I've taken it into the dealerships (2 different dealers) 4 separate times. They've updated all the software, tested all the sensors, even replaced the parking control module, and at this point in time have had me come pick up the car because they don't know what else to do to fix it, leaving me with a car that doesn't function properly.
While some of you probably might say "first world problems" to this, this feature was one of the main things that attracted me to this car and I gladly paid extra for the option. On top of that, I truly think it's a huge safety concern. Active Park Assist requires the driver to relinquish control of the steering to the car and in my car's case, it hits curbs, stops when it's clearly not finished (leaving the car halfway into traffic), and on multiple occasions has tried to hit the car in front of me. If I hadn't intervened during those occasions, it would've scraped the cars quite badly. If someone other than myself drives the car (valet, family, etc.) and doesn't know the feature is not working properly (as the car displays no fault codes, error messages etc. as the car thinks everything is working properly), there is a huge liability and safety risk for other vehicles, my vehicle, and as well as those driving/in my car and we all know who the fault would end up on if something like that happened (hint: not Ford).
If anyone has any advice/feedback/comments or has even possibly dealt with something similar, your feedback would we welcome as I'm losing my patience with this car (I haven't even mentioned any of the other problems with it).

?...car stops?...something is obviously wrong because last I looked the only way that would happen is with the utilization of the only remaining hands on feature left exclusively for the occupant...using the brakes?....So, you are stating the car applies its own brakes?....if so, i dont think you would have any issues with lemon law, safety issues are paramount...

I watched the video a couple times. It looks like when you searched for a spot. The screen said found a spot full forward. A stop sign came up and you kept moving forward. Then it showed the green check then stop sign again. I think you drove past the calculated point. Also, when you put it in park it showed the car not to be parked correctly on the screen. Try again and stop on first stop sign icon.

• Like 1

I can't necessarily address the specific issues (failure, etc) with your vehicle, but I do know that speed can play a factor in the accuracy of parking system. When I did the Lincoln Date Night with the MKC, I tried the park assist several times. I found that the faster you let the car go in reverse, the less accurate it becomes, resulting in hitting curbs, parking sideways, etc. presumably because of turning radius, etc.

I'm not sure whether that would account for the system failing like that, though, if it fails consistently when you try to use it.

Edited by rmc523

I can't necessarily address the specific issues (failure, etc) with your vehicle, but I do know that speed can play a factor in the accuracy of parking system. When I did the Lincoln Date Night with the MKC, I tried the park assist several times. I found that the faster you let the car go in reverse, the less accurate it becomes, resulting in hitting curbs, parking sideways, etc. presumably because of turning radius, etc.

I'm not sure whether that would account for the system failing like that, though, if it fails consistently when you try to use it.

Agreed the slower you search the better. Your speed was probably at the upper limit of the 25mph for a search. Edited by fordtech1

From my experience auto park has worked very well. Of course it is not a human and can't make decisions in some cases. However something in the scenario you posted caused a miscalculation. Does it do it on left side parking also?

Parking on the left side never causes it to do this, only the right. And it does this frequently in a wide variety of parking spots, hence why I'm able to catch it on video so frequently/easily.

According to the dealership, they've already tested each sensor individually and each one is functioning correctly. After this, they replaced the parking control module. The 2nd video was taken minutes after picking up the car from the dealership after replacing the module.

Edited by Savio

The scary part is with some people you have to ask basic questions. If you knew how many times I heard "my windows are inop" because the window lock was on....

Friend of mine claims--we were both doing tech support at Gateway--that he had a guy call up:

"You guys put the CD player in upside down!"

(which, of course, is impossible. The screws only fit one way)

Guy swears up and down that the CD tray is upside down, describes it upside down, etc.

Then the light bulb goes on

"Is the logo also upside down?"

"Yes"

"You have the computer upside down."

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 7