'It was a cover-up': New allegations against GM

blwnsmoke

Uh Oh!!

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/cover-allegations-against-gm-192800527.html

Lance Cooper and Jere Beasley, two attorneys who have handled lawsuits involving the defective ignition switches, say a fresh round of litigation has uncovered proof that GM actively tried to cover up the problem switches.

If the allegations are true, they would run counter to the conclusion of General Motors' internal investigation, which blamed incompetence as the primary reason the automaker approved the use of faulty ignition switches, and then was slow to recall them once it learned of accidents.

"We believe the documents show, and the testimony that will come out that this wasn't incompetence, it was a cover-up," Cooper said.

Edited by blwnsmoke

One thing is for sure, GM won't be game enough to risk one ignition switch claim going to trial,

if ti's proven negligent or worse covered up the problem, executives could be facing jail time.

I bet this is being cast in the worst possible light to bring GM to the table, deal with us or we will

show criminality in open court....Not blackmail but geez, this could bring them to their knees.

Edited by jpd80

At this point if GM have nothing to hide this probably is another "get rich " scheme from some "slip n fall" lawyers.

But if GM DO have something to hide like this I rather for them to settle because the company will get destroyed by jury litigation.

Sometimes I wish the Plaintiffs would NOT settle and take them to court just because it is what they deserve. Instead of just cashing in, bring it to trial and let the public see everything.

If I was a victim or it was my child that was a victim, no amount of money is going to make it better. What would make it better is the company getting what it deserves and that is making it all public knowledge.. not an undisclosed check.

Can't tell me these cases are not slam dunks!

Edited by blwnsmoke

I would be surprised if there is a "smoking gun" document that clearly shows a coverup. If there were then I think GM would have been out in front of it. I suspect there are documents that could be interpreted that way and it will be up to a jury to make that determination. I doubt it will be a slam dunk in spite of what the attorneys want you to believe.

I would be surprised if there is a "smoking gun" document that clearly shows a coverup. If there were then I think GM would have been out in front of it. I suspect there are documents that could be interpreted that way and it will be up to a jury to make that determination. I doubt it will be a slam dunk in spite of what the attorneys want you t"o believe.

I was thinking this.

You don't need a smoking gun to meet the 'reasonable person' threshold (otherwise none of us would believe in protons), and I expect that there is sufficient evidence here to indicate a collaborative cover-up effort.

The question is whether it's broad enough for a jury to hold the entire company negligible, as opposed to a small coterie of bad-actors.

If GM's head of legal, the guy who just recently quit, was consulted about any of this during the pre-bankruptcy period, it's going to get very very very very ugly for GM. Very ugly.

As officers of the court,would the lawyers have a duty to hand over any evidence they feel leads to criminality?

I am surprised that statements of cover up are being made with out involving law enforcement agencies.

So is this more like painting the email transcripts as worse than they really are?

We're not talking about a criminal proceeding. There is little reason to pursue a criminal case that would likely end only with monetary fines that can more easily be secured by a civil proceeding.

However, if it is discovered that GM's lawyers destroyed, planned to destroy, or directed or recommended that others to destroy documentation of the defect, then you are right, there could be serious consequences for those lawyers.

That's what I'm on about - Discovery. GM has guaranteed itself a full and thorough colonoscopy

over its failure to properly manage and audit its own internal procedures. Their biggest fear

should be what other damaging insight will be contained in all those emails back and forth.

Things that were said at the time could now take on a different meaning in the light of what

has happened... I wonder what's laying in wait ready to pop out and hit GM next.

Edited by jpd80