MAP C-crew getting canned?

fuzzymoomoo

Remember there was a time when Ford would build cars just because they had capacity, then rebate & sell them at a loss. We did this with Taurus & Windstar/Freestar & many other platforms. This was a mistake & Ford has vowed to never make that mistake again.

Cutting edge companies are flexable & adjust to demand quickly. Ford has promised wallstreet they will be agile in the future & I expect to see shifts to come & go much more often then we have seen in the past.

Get used to it, it's how we do business.

They've made other promises to wall street....which is why you haven't had a raise in 10 years.

Believe what you want, but this was not a "Quick" decision. Ford NEVER makes quick or off the cuff decisions. Everything they do, is calculated down to the last penny of cost, and strong considerations are given for the future. I am betting that the decision to eliminate a shift took months to decide. Ford has been around a long time, most of those making the most noise over this decision have been around Ford for less than 4 years. They will learn, in time that as soon as they think they have Ford figured out, Ford proves them wrong. Layoffs and shift reductions are a part of the industry, and always have been. NO ONE will lose a job. Not one person, unless they fail to report when told to do so. You might be laid off for a few months, but you WILL be taken in to a new job. Sit back, relax, enjoy your summer off, and be prepared to get back to work. Be realistic, you are going to get unemployment and sub pay, which totals 85% of your pay, and you won't be spending on fuel, and lunches for work. You come out ahead of the game.

And remember one simple thing...WORRY KILLS PEOPLE. Its bad for your heart.

I'd bet everything I have that the decision to cut a shift took less than a month....maybe less than two weeks. How can you not see that they look for the smallest reasons to cut labor cost and the math can be done in less the 5 minutes. It's not rocket science.

You would lose that bet. Talk of C Crew being cut has been going on for a very long time. WE have overbuilt the focus and cmax forever. There was hope that the 2015 model would increase sales and production, but that didn't happen. Ford isn't stupid, they know that a trained workforce is not something you give up lightly, as it takes time to train people. This decision took time, and a whole lot of input from many different people. IF you think otherwise, it just shows how very little you know about this industry. But that's ok...IF you stay around long enough...you will learn.

You would lose that bet. Talk of C Crew being cut has been going on for a very long time. WE have overbuilt the focus and cmax forever. There was hope that the 2015 model would increase sales and production, but that didn't happen. Ford isn't stupid, they know that a trained workforce is not something you give up lightly, as it takes time to train people. This decision took time, and a whole lot of input from many different people. IF you think otherwise, it just shows how very little you know about this industry. But that's ok...IF you stay around long enough...you will learn.

Not disagreeing with what your saying but why has every shift been working max over time since the announcement of them eliminating the shift if indeed the focus and cmax has been over built.

Wayne Assembly only ran 2 shifts for the Focus in the past. The sales are just not there for 3 shifts.

I wonder if at the time when Cmax started production they thought the added volume would allow the third shift to be justified. What they didn't think would happen would be the bottom falling out of the oil industry and the Cmax not being able to sell more than 3,000 a month.

Tier 2 won't be quite much longer. Especially if this contract doesn't benefit them.

And just what does the Tier 2 plan on doing, you gonna go on strike , plenty of people waiting in line for your job!

Tier 2 employees sure do complain about tons of shit and most of them have only been with Ford 3 years. It's funny they feel they are owed everything even a raise before 1st Tier gets one and they would not even have jobs if it wasn't for 1st Tier. We 1st Tier made all the sacrifices that created the job they have and they all feel wronged by 1st Tier.

What's with all the animosity? What ever happened to UAW brothers and sisters. WE ALL have been handed a raw deal by the company and this contact. And now that the company is so profitable I believe its time that WE ALL are made whole. So let's move off this whole 1st tier 2nd tier crap or there won't be any uaw left at all.

Edited by one of a kind

And just what does the Tier 2 plan on doing, you gonna go on strike , plenty of people waiting in line for your job!

Tier 2 employees sure do complain about tons of shit and most of them have only been with Ford 3 years. It's funny they feel they are owed everything even a raise before 1st Tier gets one and they would not even have jobs if it wasn't for 1st Tier. We 1st Tier made all the sacrifices that created the job they have and they all feel wronged by 1st Tier.

Sure would go on strike in a second. You seem to fail to realize how good of a position the UAW is in to negotiate a good contract this time...compared to the last 4 or 5. Ford has multiple new products rolling out and GM is making huge gains in market share. A strike would crush all that momentum and the companies know that. Edited by Tier2

Little country, tell it like it is. that tier 2 poster is ruining my feelings toward all tier 2. he ought to tone it down or go back to flipping burgers.

Haven't flipped burgers since I was 16. I left a job that I was making a little more money than I am now strictly because I knew this contract I would get a raise.

You don't understand how it works, not sure you ever will.

Ok then explain it too me. Your cutting a shift because of supposedly slow focus sales but yet have 3 shifts working max ot ever since they announced it. IF focus sales were slow enough for them to feel the need to eliminate a shift WHY would you build anymore cars that you have too? Why add more cars to what you can't already sell? If you were a home builder and your homes you were building weren't selling would you have your crew work overtime to build even more houses that you couldn't sell, NO because business wise it wouldn't make any sense. And if you did you'd eventually go out of business.

Ford and all other auto companies try to predict how many cars they sell based on historical data and other factors. Once those numbers are set, they order parts to meet that demand. Once those parts are ordered (with a contract) Ford HAS to build those cars or take a large hit on the price of parts It takes time to make changes in what is being delivered to the plants due to the simple fact that many parts are coming from all over the world. It takes Time to make a reduction. Once the decision was made to cut the shift, they know that they had only till this week to build "X" number of cars for the parts already ordered.

Add to that fact that this is a contract year, and each and every contract I have been thru (28 years worth) they build excess cars to try and make US believe that they don't need so many vehicles as they are sitting in every lot in town. This is NORMAL. Its an effort to get us to accept a crap contract, They day after the contract is signed, those cars will disappear. COUNT ON IT!

Sure would go on strike in a second. You seem to fail to realize how good of a position the UAW is in to negotiate a good contract this time...compared to the last 4 or 5. Ford has multiple new products rolling out and GM is making huge gains in market share. A strike would crush all that momentum and the companies know that.

You fail to realize the UAW is in it to stay in business not to CRUSH a company, times have changed.

You keep thinking the way you do hope it works out for you

You fail to realize the UAW is in it to stay in business not to CRUSH a company, times have changed.

You keep thinking the way you do hope it works out for you

Bringing Tier 2 up to around $24-$25 an hour and making that the new top out rate isn't close to crushing the business. The contracts you guys had in the 90's is what came close to crushing the business, yet you want a contract that resembles those again.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

Tell you what Mr. Apologist,

give me 5 good reasons that lead you to believe that. The UAW has given me absolutely no reason to believe that the status quo won't be maintained for the second class citizens so called entry level

I'll hang up and listen

Bringing Tier 2 up to around $24-$25 an hour and making that the new top out rate isn't close to crushing the business. The contracts you guys had in the 90's is what came close to crushing the business, yet you want a contract that resembles those again.

Not only did Tier 1 create the job you have, we also gave up a lot to help the company, but to listen to the 2nd Tier you would think 2nd Tier are the only employees at Ford and this contract should be only about them.

I say make all assembly line jobs 2nd Tier and make all the good jobs off the line 1st Tier, then you 2nd Tier can really have something to bitch about!

Not only did Tier 1 create the job you have, we also gave up a lot to help the company, but to listen to the 2nd Tier you would think 2nd Tier are the only employees at Ford and this contract should be only about them.

I say make all assembly line jobs 2nd Tier and make all the good jobs off the line 1st Tier, then you 2nd Tier can really have something to bitch about!

The demand for new cars created jobs....not a legacy member. Just as the very point of the thread is that slow sales and temporarily declining gas prices caused some to lose jobs.

Pay me $25 an hour, match my 401k, give me profit share and Ill work any job with a smile on my face.

Edited by Tier2

Tell you what Mr. Apologist,

give me 5 good reasons that lead you to believe that. The UAW has given me absolutely no reason to believe that the status quo won't be maintained for the second class citizens so called entry level

I'll hang up and listen

You were hired in the middle of a contract, what did you want them to do change it in the middle to make you believe?