Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am running for president'

I didn't mean to turn this into a taxes thing but since it is here. Exxon paid 13% in taxes according to the article, what percentage did you pay?

If you paid a higher percentage than Exxon why, does this seem fair to you. And yes I know they paid more dollars in than you or I but why a lower percentage? The SCOTUS decided "corporations are people" yet companies are allowed to pay a lower percentage.....

It's time for a flat tax where every person and corporation pays the same percentage.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to turn this into a taxes thing but since it is here. Exxon paid 13% in taxes according to the article, what percentage did you pay?

If you paid a higher percentage than Exxon why, does this seem fair to you. And yes I know they paid more dollars in than you or I but why a lower percentage? The SCOTUS decided "corporations are people" yet companies are allowed to pay a lower percentage.....

It's time for a flat tax where every person and corporation pays the same percentage.

Does it really matter what percentage the company pays? It's going to be paid by the customers anyway. The more the company pays, the more you pay. The more I pay.

I agree on a flat tax for every person though. No deductions, no credits, no nothing. You make 100k and the tax rate is 5%, then you pay 5k. You make 10k, then you pay 500. Simple, easy, and effective. Not to mention cheaper! (I'm just throwing out a %...I'm not sure what is best).

I was talking to a financial planner the other week and he used warren buffets name and I gave him a look of disdain. He asked why, buffet is so great, has all that money but still is against millionaire/billionaires paying lower taxes than middle income people. He even drug out the old "why his secratary pays more income tax than he does"......I couldn't hold back. The word hypocrite screams when I think of him. He is not paying income tax, he's paying taxes on dividends which are quite a bit less. If he wanted to pay "income" tax, he could draw his pay like everyone else, but instead, he draws no real "income" and lives on his monthly dividend cheques. The hypocrital prick could easily throw more money to the government if he truly "felt" that billionaires should "pay more".

All I will say is that capitalism works and communism doesn't. Period. The only "disclaimer" if you will is that unfetterred capitalism will end with one person with all the marbles and everyone else broke. It (due to it's very nature) produces monopolies. So, the ideal situation would be capitalism with rules/regulations. (anti monopoly rules for example)

Let everyone start any business with minimal red tape/hassle and enjoy the taxes dribbling in. When they become larger, the greater amount of taxes going to government will be in everyones best interest. To do this though, a flat tax has to be enacted, otherwise, the more money you make, the more you can afford to pay for someone to find the loopholes to save you money.

Example;

I do my own taxes = I owe $1000

H&R block does my taxes for $50 = I get $500 back

My CA does my taxes for $250 = I get $4500 back

So, if I can't afford someone else to do my taxes, I'll (due to my inability) pay out $1000. If I am middle income and can afford a private small company I'll get a little bit back as they pound through as many people as they can in as short of time as possible. If you make $$ and can afford a chartered accountant, they'll dig and find obscure loop holes and get big bucks back.

Goin is correct. The reason the tax code is so large, is because the tax code is used by government to reward certain corporations, types of people, etc. Why do you think the richest county in the country has Washington DC sitting in the middle of it! Make no mistake about it.........corporations WANT a certain amount of regulation. Why? Because they can absorb it due to their volume. This means that you, or me, or us, can't start a company to compete with them, because our volume is small enough that the regulation will affect our price much more than theirs. In the end, it destroys competition unless someone (s) are willing to get a group together and invest billions to compete.

Want to hear something really stupid that will piss you off to no end? Listen to this...........we hear about Tesla and other electric auto companies and how wonderful they are. But here is the truth of the matter..........the government is GIVING them money, which you think may not be so bad; but, every car they sell, we subsidize it with a rebate. Not so bad either? Well then what about the fact that virtually all Tesla purchasers income are way over 6 figures!!!! In other words, you are subsidizing the very wealthy to purchase a vehicle that they could easily afford themselves. But wait, there is more! As of this time, they use the same roads you do, but don't pay a nickel for upkeep because they buy no fuel!

Meanwhile, they tell you how environmentally conscious they are, so pat them on the back; as they drive their electric car to the airport that YOU subsidized, then get in a private jet and fly to Europe accidentally on purpose forgetting everything they just preached to you about their environmental stewardship, lol.

You guys going to accept this? I mean honestly, politicians have been tar and featherd, then run out of town on a rail for far less than this. Come on all, most everyone on here either works for, or is retired from an auto company; and yet some here support the people who support this obvious slap in your face. Are we wanting to destroy ourselves that badly? We are going to worry about an oil company that feeds our products, and us; but we are NOT going to worry about a company that competes with us that we are subsidizing for the rich? Have we been brainwashed that badly!

Edited by Imawhosure

Try be on the other side of the argument, where you're trying hard as hell to find work, and you're either too educated for entry level, or they just won't talk to you when they find out you're over fifty.

My wife has two bachelors degrees, one on communications, one as a paralegal, and over twenty five years experience as a paralegal. Has only worked, sporadically, maybe sixteen months since December, 2008. Not for lack of trying.

Paralegal: pigeonholed by practice area - the majority of her experience is in preparing discovery requests from plaintiffs involved in either product liability suits or warranty lawsuits. Short version is that in Southeast Michigan, no one, and I mean no one will consider her for any other practice area, citing lack of experience in those areas. Employment agency after employment agency have sent her in for interviews, only to be shot down because all they want, from small law firm to large law firm, is experience in their particular area of law. Period. No opinions to the contrary will be tolerated. They won't budge.

Other jobs? Like what? Retail? Applications after application rejected, citing her experience as a paralegal, tell her (and in some cases us when I've been with her) that, with her experience, in their opinion, she'll jump at the fist paralegal job that comes her way, so again, application rejected. This has been going on for seven years. Other jobs, the same. No one wants to have a ramp up period with a new hire. We've been told, by both employers and employment agencies alike, that they want candidates that can hit the ground running now, and candidates that they, the employer, are comfortable, will be around long term.

As to my profession as MRO (Maintenance, Repair & Operations) industrial sales, thanks to distributors like Motion Industries and Grainger, and end user customers like Ford, Con Agra, Dow, etc, everything has become commoditized, profit margins have drastically fallen, and with falling profit margins, sales peoples incomes have taken a drastic hit - today, the vast majority of MRO industrial sales people make less than they did in 1998, NOT adjusted for inflation. Adjusted for inflation, even worse. I still know a lot of people in the business. A lot of people who held on to their jobs through the recession, seeing little to no gain back in the recovery because of continued cost cutting and commoditizing, have dropped out of the profession, most of them taking early retirement, in some cases under IRS Rule 72t. Distributors are doing more business, with less profit and as a result, fewer people. And some companies like Ford, are studying the idea of outsourcing all of their non-production, MRO purchasing...to Amazon.

We're tapped out. Broke. Busted. We filed for bankruptcy and expect to be discharged from it in a month. And without credit, with just my income, a modest house we bought in 1998 with two healthy middle class incomes, we can barely afford. Selling and downsizing now means asking my retired, elderly parents to cosign. No way.

So excuse me all to hell if I no longer buy the conservative philosophy, in any way, shape, or form. I'm the liberal enemy now, and I do mean enemy. There is not one conservative argument that hold water with me anymore. Tapping out all our savings and retirement money, and having to file bankruptcy has seen to that.

Sorry to hear your story - sincerely. We are all in this boat. If we are your age (yes I am), and still working for someone, we better be prepared for the shoe to drop.

Reminds me of the "Buggy Whip" speech from Other People's Money - nobody's fault other than the world keeps turning and turning...Change is the only certainty.

However, I see no correlation to true Constitutional Conservatism, or the genius of the Founders with regard to your predicament. Corporate greed and political corruption yes, but our constitution - I don't see it.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Does it really matter what percentage the company pays? It's going to be paid by the customers anyway. The more the company pays, the more you pay. The more I pay.

I agree on a flat tax for every person though. No deductions, no credits, no nothing. You make 100k and the tax rate is 5%, then you pay 5k. You make 10k, then you pay 500. Simple, easy, and effective. Not to mention cheaper! (I'm just throwing out a %...I'm not sure what is best).

Tax consumption not production - so simple, fair, and effective. And remember - every consumption tax plan ever presented accounts for "cost of living" rebates, so the: "...it is regressive..." argument is simply false.

Edited by Kev-Mo

And I don't agree with everything Bernie Sanders stands for. I just think the establishment on both sides of the aisle needs to be shaken up a bit.

Ross Perot, Independent Presidential Candidate, WARNED us of the "...giant sucking sound of jobs leaving america..." In 1992! Guess who I voted for in 1992?

Yep- the establishment is the problem. And they are the problem because they think they are smarter than our Founding Fathers and can ignore the Supreme Law of the Land. Remember, our founders were in favor of tariffs and protecting our domestic industries.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perpetual motion machines or devices have been the goal of engineering for centuries.

The government keeps itself in perpetual motion by printing money or taking taxpayers money.

I would LOVE to pull the plug on it and the people riding "the machine".