FCA reducing powertrain warranties to 60,000 miles for 2016 models

jasonj80

Fiat Chrysler will abandon its 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty in the United States for the 2016 model year in favor of a 5 year/60,000-mile guarantee. Only ones at 100K now are VW, Kia, and Hyundai.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150527/RETAIL05/150529876/fiat-chrysler-reducing-powertrain-warranties-to-60000-miles-for-2016?cciid=email-autonews-blast

That should tell potential customers a lot right there....

Only reason to give up selling points like that is because it's costing FCA too much in repairs to continue those guarantees.

Better calculate a couple thousand $ in repairs at around the 70k mark if you plan to buy one, or sell it off before you get got.

Or they realized it wasn't helping sales even if the incremental costs were minimal.

That's exactly what research conducted by General Motors found: the company's transferable 5 year/100k mi. powertrain warranty had practically no impact on whether or not a prospective customer actually chose a GM product. I doubt the situation is much different with FCA. After all, Chrysler's "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" in the 2007 - 2009 timeframe did nothing to prevent a 50% decline in sales for that automaker.

• Like 1

Reduce those warranties and motor companies can reduce the contingency money put aside for warranty claims,

add that up over a dozen or so models spread over several years and it could be hundreds of millions freed up.

If customers are the slightest bit concerned, they can buy an extended warranty.

Over on pickuptruck,com the Ramboi's have been attacking Ford for the 5/60 warranty for years.

As did the GM fanbois....

From the PUTC Ram and GM fanbois:

"I think this is a cost reduction move to do G.M.'s high legal problems and makes it harder for the future people with problems to recover their money. Does the warranty matter to me. Your dam right it does and especially with an all new platform I.E, Ford F series. So again looks like Chrysler will be getting my money again.

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Mar 17, 2015 6:42:26 PM

Why would i want a truck that is ...When i can buy a better warranty

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Apr 18, 2015 1:13:12 PM

WHY BUY ANY OTHER TRUCK?

2014 Ram 1500

Unsurpassed 5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty+

Posted by: Hemi Mechanic | Nov 14, 2013 11:21:12 PM

Will Ford give a better warranty on their new pickup that will match what GM and Ram offer?

Posted by: greg | Jan 13, 2014 7:51:20 AM

Until ford comes out with a 100k warranty they aren't even an option in my new truck search.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 14, 2014 8:51:46 AM

The Chevy Silverado has a warranty with 100,000 miles. That is 40,000 miles more than Ford and Toyota. I have no desire to continue to "debate" with someone who cares so little for the Chevy Silverado, so congrats, if you read and reply to this message, you'll get the last word. Hooray for you.

Posted by: bobby | Jul 10, 2010 4:31:27 AM

Would you buy a 3yr. old Eco used with 61,000 miles? Don't forget that fantastic 60,000 mile warranty. That would not be a smart move imo.

Posted by: Fred the man | Feb 6, 2013 6:01:35 PM

Maybe Ford should change their 5yr/60,000 mile warranty, the worst in the truck industry. Oh, I forgot. Companies never drive over 12,000 miles a year. That's what the Ford boys say.

Posted by: fredtheman | Jun 19, 2014 12:41:53 PM

It looks as unreliable as the 2014 150. But being new, maybe Ford will move to 26th place for reliability with the new pickup. I wonder if Ford will match GM and Ram's warranty with the new pickup, but I doubt it because of the poor reliability record for Ford.

Posted by: greg | Nov 14, 2013 5:37:41 PM

"Until ford comes out with a 100k warranty they aren't even an option in my new truck search."

I like many others will NOT buy another vehicle without coverage till at least 100K!!! if the manufacture will not stand behind their product, how can they expect a buy too!

Posted by: sandman"

Posted by: FLASHBACK | May 29, 2015 2:32:56 AM
Edited by Bryan1

Psst. I'd put that first comment, at least, in quotes. Otherwise people will think you're the one saying this:

I think this is a cost reduction move to do G.M.'s high legal problems and makes it harder for the future people with problems to recover their money. Does the warranty matter to me. Your dam right it does and especially with an all new platform I.E, Ford F series. So again looks like Chrysler will be getting my money again.

As a consumer, I view those longer warranties with suspicion. That being the fine print of what is covered and what isn't. Is the warranty going to be denied because you were late on one oil change.

Doesn't mean that's true, that's just my personal perception.