You want more sales Ford?

Blitz advertise the GT500, you know that new slick Jag Ad, well get that quality ad on a GT500 ad and put it on CNBC again and again and again, then get that SVT 3.5L AWD Fusion out there, ya that Shelby GT is great but a guy needs and wants at the same time, a four door 300hp tuned 3.5L does that.

Next? start remaking the Fusion Yesterday and make it better then anything out there tomorrow. All of it .

Edited by foxrun

You know to be fair, the 07 Freestyle ain't so bad on the inside. DVD, power liftgate, adaptive cruise, etc. It just sucks :kissass: on the outside... YUCK!!! Plus its not too bad on gas.

I agree. Ford is not pushing the Freestyle hard enough. They make great family haulers (better in many ways than a typical minivan). They're trying so hard to re-invent the minivan with the Fairlane, but they may have already done it with the Freestyle.

Maybe they will give the Freestyle advertising budget a shot in the arm when the '08 version comes out.

You know to be fair, the 07 Freestyle ain't so bad on the inside. DVD, power liftgate, adaptive cruise, etc. It just sucks :kissass: on the outside... YUCK!!! Plus its not too bad on gas.

still not as ugly as a new Yukon. man, they screwed that up bad - I hate Chevys and really liked the old ones 10x more

I think the Freestyle's target buyer really prevents them from doing anything too much more exciting with the exterior (I'm sure the interior ends up being much more of a selling point). besides, those that really want a cutting edge (no pun intended) vehicle based on appearance will buy the new Ford or Mazda CUVs

OTOH, I've been saying for quite a few years they really need to start marketing these things, so I agree with you there. and I really have loved the Jag ads

Edited by bri719

Blitz advertise the GT500, you know that new slick Jag Ad, well get that quality ad on a GT500 ad and put it on CNBC again and again and again, then get that SVT 3.5L AWD Fusion out there, ya that Shelby GT is great but a guy needs and wants at the same time, a four door 300hp tuned 3.5L does that.

Next? start remaking the Fusion Yesterday and make it better then anything out there tomorrow. All of it .

Umm...why should Ford spend big ad dollars on a low-volume car that will most likely sell its entire run with zero advertising?

I'd rather have Ford keep the GT500 as a low-volume halo and let the ad dollars be spent on the Fusion/Focus/Freestyle/500/Edge/Escape personally.

And while a 300hp SVT Fusion would be nice, I'd be happy with the 263hp 3.5L in the Fusion. Do we even have an ETA on the 3.5L in the Fusion?

And I wholeheartedly (one word or two?) agree with you about redoing the Fusion. It's good as is, but not class-leading in any way, shape, or form. I hope Ford continues to develop the Fusion and improve it rather than let it sit for five years. And I don't mean AWD, though it's a nice gimmick. I mean fix the road noise, smooth the ride, fix the interior (who approved that radio?), offer up the saftey items...for an American car to receive equal treatment in the buyer's eyes there must be no compromises. The Fusion is close, but it's not there yet.

Scott

I only rarely agree with foxrun...but Ford's advertising plan is currently best described as "DUMBASS ABSENTEEISM".

I finally saw the Fresstyle ad with the divorced couple and kids...once, weeks back.

I haven't seen an ad for a Five Hundred, Focus...hell, I can't remember any other ads recently except Mustang and F-Series ads.

I also agree that the Fusion needs the new motor, and a standard trans option to go with it...throw in the abs option and the Fusion can be a competitor for the "specialized" sedans (Subaru Legacy, for example) and it would be able to meet the Camrys, Altimas, and Accords without the "despite its motor/trans" caveats.

Come ON Ford...you have the goodies in your toybox already...

Edited by ZanatWork

I only rarely agree with foxrun...but Ford's advertising plan is currently best described as "DUMBASS ABSENTEEISM".

I finally saw the Fresstyle ad with the divorced ocuple and kids...once, weeks back.

I haven't seen an ad for a Five Hundred, Focus...hell, I can't remember any other ads recently except Mustang and F-Series ads.

I also agree that the Fusion needs the new motor, and a standard trans option to go with it...throw in the abs option and the Fusion can be a competitor for the "specialized" sedans (Subaru Legacy, for example) and it would be able to meet the Camrys, Altimas, and Accords without the "despite its motor/trans" caveats.

Come ON Ford...you have the goodies in your toybox already...

Easy on the motor....... Get this through your head; 70-80% of all Altima, Accord and Camry's are sold with 4 bangers!!!!! I do agree to build 1 and only 1, 1000 hp Fusion to keep MT and Car and Driver happy.....just keep evolving the Fusion

Umm...why should Ford spend big ad dollars on a low-volume car that will most likely sell its entire run with zero advertising?

I'd rather have Ford keep the GT500 as a low-volume halo and let the ad dollars be spent on the Fusion/Focus/Freestyle/500/Edge/Escape personally.

And while a 300hp SVT Fusion would be nice, I'd be happy with the 263hp 3.5L in the Fusion. Do we even have an ETA on the 3.5L in the Fusion?

And I wholeheartedly (one word or two?) agree with you about redoing the Fusion. It's good as is, but not class-leading in any way, shape, or form. I hope Ford continues to develop the Fusion and improve it rather than let it sit for five years. And I don't mean AWD, though it's a nice gimmick. I mean fix the road noise, smooth the ride, fix the interior (who approved that radio?), offer up the saftey items...for an American car to receive equal treatment in the buyer's eyes there must be no compromises. The Fusion is close, but it's not there yet.

Scott

bud its the whole halo thing, you gotta show off your best and shove it in thier face. Ford wants to be Americas car company, well you are so show off the GT500, I mean what the hell does Yoda or hondia have that could even come close. Besides if there is more demand for the GT500 make'um wait or pay more , believe me the media will catch on and bang, free ad time.

All that is called buzz and once you got that going the regular guy will be proud to have F-O-R-D on the front of his car even if its a scale down SVT fusion and after that even a regular fusion.

Look the GT500 is THE CAR right now, Charger-pffffffff, Camaro- ya right and nothing is more american then feeling like your the best, well Bill Ford USE WHAT YOU HAVE.

Easy on the motor....... Get this through your head; 70-80% of all Altima, Accord and Camry's are sold with 4 bangers!!!!! I do agree to build 1 and only 1, 1000 hp Fusion to keep MT and Car and Driver happy.....just keep evolving the Fusion

Get this through your head:

Ford has taken serious and deserved flack for the "good enough" or "just enough to be competitive" bulls**t in their engine programs. Are you telling me that being a leader in available output and other specs would HURT a company with reputation repair underway?

Did I say to stop the 4-cyl model? Did I engage in any babble about 1,000 hp models? Why no...so keep that prattle to yourself.

The Fusion ST/SVT was strongly rumored for a long time...long enough that one insider had specs on AW, and it was the only thing he's been wrong about. There have been Fusion mule pics supposedly confirmed to be 3.5 prototypes, and the motor IS NEEDED as an option...as Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, and Toyota are all available with V6s that shame the Fusion's in most or all categories. If Ford is disinterested in competing with the big dogs, then they can make the Fusion a 4-cyl. model only, which is clser in spec to the sedans in its market.

Why should anyone cheer on "Weakest V6!" as a vehicle feature? If Ford is going to offer a V6, ocmparisons are inevitable...and the current motor doesn't.

Guest Sixcav
Why should anyone cheer on "Weakest V6!" as a vehicle feature? If Ford is going to offer a V6, ocmparisons are inevitable...and the current motor doesn't.

I have to agree with this. At 221 horspower the Fusion / Milan is the weakest V6 offering in it's segment. Here is how it stacks up.

Honda Accord V6 244 hp

Toyota Camry V6 268 hp

Nissan Altima V6 260 hp

Chevrolet Malibu V6 217 hp or 240 hp

Mitsubishi Galant V6 258 hp

Chrysler Sebring V6 235 hp

Ford Fusion V6 221 hp

So with the exception of the Malibu, the Fusion is the weakest V6 midsize sedan on the market. Oh joy, that'll bringum runnin won't it guys? I say put the 3.5 L motor in the Fusion and make it competitive. Of course if they do that then they'll say "Well we have to jack the price up." and the next thing you know you're paying damn near 30 grand for a Fusion. Now in all honesty I don't put a lot of stock in the hp numbers that these Japanesse auto makers give their cars. They have been known to boost their numbers to make the car more appealing in the 4 cylinder models, they could be doing that with the V6's as well. Who knows.

Who's the target buyer for the Freestyle, the invisible man? Because man, that thing is invisible.

Totally agree about the SVT Fusion though. That would help create some interest in the line.

former minivan buyers and those that don't want a traditional SUV but may need AWD and have 2.2 kids

in other words, just plain ol' boring middle america. not to say a refresh isn't welcome

I'm a huge fan of the D3 cars, and I still can't wait for the refreshes. I've hated a damned nice chassis getting so much abuse for its styling and only having "adequate" power.

Sadly, though, when enough people say it and/or post it, the complaints become a reality for the program managers.

So...Ford? Guys and girls? Don't underdo it. Find some of the strength of the F150's nose and the attitude of the Fusion's. Mix in at LEAST the 3.5 (a larger version would help deal with the Maximas and Lucernes of the world), and make the D3 the do-all family of cars that Ford needs right now.

Dang - 268hp in the newest Camry? I owned a 96 LE fully loaded with the V6 and I think it was rated at 188hp. It was a very quick car (passing cars was a blast in that thing).

If they are using the same basic engine that is a hell of an increase.

Hell - even the 4 bangers could move - I'd get passed all the time by 4-banger Camrys hot footin' in down the tollway (..course I could catch them easily). It sure was funny (and quite common) to see those 4 bangers running balls-to-the-wall down the road.

I like the Fusion - an employee at the local strip mall has one with some damm nice aftermarket wheels. I would hope others are seeing that car and thinking about a visit to one of MANY local dealers.

Based on that old Camry I would have to reason that 221 is plenty for this kind of car - except the competition has more - thus part of the issue.

Why not offer both V6 engines? Charge a little more for the 3.5. Just curious.

Edited by iteched

Based on that old Camry I would have to reason that 221 is plenty for this kind of car - except the competition has more - thus part of the issue.

Why not offer both V6 engines? Charge a little more for the 3.5. Just curious.

I love how this thread has become about the 3.5L. The hope is that the 3.5L will fix the biggest complaints and barriers to Ford currently: slow & noisy cars. The interesting thing is, 221hp in a family sedan running 0-60mph in about 7.5 sec is phenomenal...for 1998. But nearly *all* of Ford's competitors have moved forward with potent new engines in our current horsepower wars. I'd have a hard time believing any family sedan driver is going to call a Fusion V6 slow, unless they're driving 250+hp V6s back-to-back.

So reality is 221hp is more than enough. But it doesn't matter if you go online and research cars before you go shopping and see a 221hp Fusion, 268hp Camry, and 244hp Accord, which one do you want? Leaving 47hp behind, even if it is not needed, APPEARS to be bad for the Fusion. Same with the 203hp 500. It looks bad. If people look online and simply scratch off Ford before even driving them that is a huge loss to Ford.

So in this day of internet side-by-side stats, being competitive in EVERY way is vitally important. Plus, for Ford, "IIRC" the 3.5L is drop-in compatible with the 3.0L for size & weight AND it costs less to build than the 3.0L. That's two very good things for Ford.

As I said above, for American cars to be considered alongside foreign competitors, they need to be every bit as good - no compromises.

Scott

Yep - got caught up in the derailment....LOL

Just about all the ads I see are for the trucks - few if any car adds.

The fusion is a nice looking car and a good ad campaign should help. If they create some I hope they stay away from "were just as good as (other brands)". Just show the car off.

I remember all the Oldsmobile "Acheiva" ads from years back - they were all about how they spent tons of time roadtesting and making the car as good as or better than brand X. A lot of good those ads were...

ed

Edited by iteched

any of you read the news where toyota and honda are over rating their engines? ya, the v6s... the fusion was 210 rated by ford, but after the new tests they jumped it to 221, i also read on some pages its acutally 230hp.. who knows.. you do realize these cars with the more horsepower do weight a bit more, 100lbs or more.

iam a american as you guys are, but damn, we all stuck on this horsepower thingy, fyi, saw a bone stock 06 SEL and a 07 accord at local track recently, in 3 runs by each, both had 1/4 times with 1 tenth, and mph was same.. neck in neck all the way down.. wow, amazing 40 more hp eh.

Another thing you may not realize is that the Fusion only costs about $21.5K for cloth seats with the V6 but no ABS. The Accord Secan costs $2k more for the cheapest automatic V6. Also I know that the Honda 3l requires premium to make the full 244. If you put in regular you loose about 20 hp which places it dead even with the Fusion. Either way, the 3.5 is comming in another model year or so. This blinded discussion is worthless.

Guest Sixcav

MGallun, I agree with that 100%. But as I've said on numerous other threads on here, it's all about perception guys. The vast majority of people that buy cars, and espeically grocery getter family sedans, are not nearly as knowledgeable as most of us that frequent this website right? I mean we're car guys. We sit around and learn all this useless shit about cars you know. Most people don't. Most people look at stats and after a bit of breezing the www.'s they see that the Fusion has the lower hp number and like it or not in the minds of the uneducated masses that's a strike against.

MGallun, I agree with that 100%. But as I've said on numerous other threads on here, it's all about perception guys. The vast majority of people that buy cars, and espeically grocery getter family sedans, are not nearly as knowledgeable as most of us that frequent this website right? I mean we're car guys. We sit around and learn all this useless shit about cars you know. Most people don't. Most people look at stats and after a bit of breezing the www.'s they see that the Fusion has the lower hp number and like it or not in the minds of the uneducated masses that's a strike against.

understandable... but its our job as ford fans to give people info if possible, i have personally in last 5 months gotten 2 500s, 1 fusion and 1 focus bought, all where looking at camry, accord and focus, after i bugged them to look at the fords they where rather happy with the cars and the prices... also showed them the buttload of toyota and honda recalls, they where like fudge them cars! they kinda wondered why they never heard about them on news, i said, well toyoda and honda are americas new darlings and so on.. i should be a sales man! lol.

I agree. Ford is not pushing the Freestyle hard enough. They make great family haulers (better in many ways than a typical minivan). They're trying so hard to re-invent the minivan with the Fairlane, but they may have already done it with the Freestyle.

Maybe they will give the Freestyle advertising budget a shot in the arm when the '08 version comes out.

That is what I thought when I saw the Fairlane. The Ford people were talking about being their first larghe crossover vehicle, and I said what about the Freestyle. It seems like the same vehicle.

Nissan raises the bar again with new V6 engines.

"The new V-6s offer a 10 percent improvement in fuel economy over the current VQs, Usuba says. That's mostly the result of reduced friction and improved intake and exhaust.

Usuba cited in-house tests of combined city-highway driving but would not provide specifics.

The engines also boast much higher power performance. Usuba didn't give horsepower data, but the engines are expected to offer at least 300 hp, up from 280 hp on current engines.

The new engines peak just shy of 7,000 rpm, compared with around 6,000 rpm for Nissan's current V-6s. The engine can rev up to 7,500 rpm, compared with a bit less than 6,500 now.

That gives the engines considerable power at all speeds, particularly when merging on highways. Nissan says acceleration from 0 to 62 mph is one second faster than with current V-6s."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...41/TOC01ARCHIVE

Edited by Bluecon

Nissan raises the bar again with new V6 engines.

"The new V-6s offer a 10 percent improvement in fuel economy over the current VQs, Usuba says. That's mostly the result of reduced friction and improved intake and exhaust.

Usuba cited in-house tests of combined city-highway driving but would not provide specifics.

The engines also boast much higher power performance. Usuba didn't give horsepower data, but the engines are expected to offer at least 300 hp, up from 280 hp on current engines.

The new engines peak just shy of 7,000 rpm, compared with around 6,000 rpm for Nissan's current V-6s. The engine can rev up to 7,500 rpm, compared with a bit less than 6,500 now.

That gives the engines considerable power at all speeds, particularly when merging on highways. Nissan says acceleration from 0 to 62 mph is one second faster than with current V-6s."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...41/TOC01ARCHIVE

Still using Preium fuel too :rolleyes: