C&D: 2015 Ford Transit 350 Wagon EcoBoost V-6 Review

3.5 EB replaced the V10... not the 5.4 V8.

It actually replaced both of them....

Especially when you consider that unlike F150 & Super Duty,

there was no room for either a 5.0 or a 6.2 V8 or V10 in Transit's engine bay....

The 5.4 was simply more popular than the 6.8 V10 so more of today's

trade ins would be the ubiquitous 5.4 2V.

I would be shocked if 2.7 EB doesn't show up at some point because the output is a better fit for what Ford wants to accomplish (i.e. 5.4 V8 replacement) than the 3.5 EB. But 2.7 EB didn't make it in Transit at launch... probably because Ford wanted to prioritize 2.7 EB for F-150.

3.7 V6 (275hp / 260 lb-ft) ==> replaced 4.6 V8 (225hp / 286 lb-ft)

2.7 EB (325hp / 375 lb-ft in F-150) ==> would replace 5.4 V8 (255hp / 323 lb-ft) - in Transit, the 2.7 EB would be detuned to around ~ 300hp / 325 lb-ft similar to the 3.5 EB detune from F-150 to Transit

3.5 EB (310hp / 400 lb-ft) ==> technically replaced the 6.8 V10 (305hp / 420 lb-ft) - if 2.7 EB shows up, Ford will probably up-rate the 3.5 EB a bit and increase the GVWR for the T-350 and T-350 HD to close the gap with E-350, which can be gracefully retired at that point.

In other parts of the world, the 2.2 diesel (not the 3.2) is the popular diesel of choice,

primarily because of its increased fuel efficiency and use of slightly lower capacity vans.

I wonder if in time Ford will revisit its engine options in the lower models,

is it better to off a NA v6 for CNG versions or offer smaller ecoboost engines...

I'd say the choice is as differen nad as diverse as Ford customer base.

And we're still to see what actual changes will be incorporated into the next generation EB 3.5

but one thing is for sure, it will be more efficient and have a big jump in torque and horsepower.

All exciting times, crazy how we talk of large people movers and performance in one breath...

I wonder if Ford can repeat that with the smaller Transit Connect... 2.3 EB Minivan? Mmmmmm

Edited by jpd80

gonna contradict most here...3.5 eco replaced the 6.2. the only V8 its replaced is that in the F-150 lineup...including the upcoming Raptor....and the towing etc is very similar between the 6.2 and 3.5 eco...

But you cannot deny that a 50/50 sales split with the 5.0V8 says that without Ford offering an EB 3.5V6, the 5.0's sales would have been significantly more..

Agree with your comments on the EB V6 replacing the 6.2, it's an engine designed for another time and cannot fit under today's CAFE constraints.

The difference here with E Series though is that none of Ford's newer '10 F150 engines made it to the vans, no 5.0 and no 6.2.

So it's easy to see how Transiit achieves better fuel economy using just two V6 engines to replace two V8s and a V10.

(In hindsight, the smaller 2.2 diesel may have been better for buyers wanting a big jump in fuel economy)

Edited by jpd80