BREAKING: SRT Hellcats And HEMIs Set To Die In 2019

silvrsvt

Not so sure about validity.

First off, read the thread he is linking to, no such proclamation was made. ResumeSpeed said the 6.2L was not being carried over to the next gen, not that it was being replaced with a V6 or anything else. It very well be the EOL of that engine to be replaced by another V8.

There are more grains of salt in that article than Pismo Beach.

Thought, I'd love to see some Ecoboost like supercars from the MOPAR boys.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Though as mentioned there are holes in the article, could any of this be related to FCA's financial/product pipeline situation? With critical product updates and releases already being pushed back (or things like the reported last-minute switch back to steel from aluminum in the Wrangler), one would have to imagine higher performance engines and products would be on the back burner/below the core/critical products, no?

Not so sure about validity.

First off, read the thread he is linking to, no such proclamation was made. ResumeSpeed said the 6.2L was not being carried over to the next gen, not that it was being replaced with a V6 or anything else. It very well be the EOL of that engine to be replaced by another V8

Ever increasing CAFE limits will kill off heavy cars with large capacity V8s,

offsetting against 4 cylinders is getting too hard...

Edited by jpd80

In the extremely limited numbers that SRT vehicles sell in, they have negligible effect on CAFE for FCA.

I'm not talking SRT, I'm talking regular V8, they can;t build enough ultra economy cars to offset against CAFE

because it doesn't work on simple mean, that's the kicker these days with cars and CAFE.

On a large car, the minimum window sticker number is increasing yearly

2012 21 mpg

2013 22 mpg

2014 22 mpg

2015 23 mpg

2016 24 mpg

2017 25 mpg

2018 26 mpg

2019 26 mpg

2020 27 mpg

2021 28 mpg

2022 30 mpg

Edited by jpd80

I'm not talking SRT, I'm talking regular V8, they can;t build enough ultra economy cars to offset against CAFE

because it doesn't work on simple mean, that's the kicker these days with cars and CAFE.

2012 21 mpg

2013 22 mpg

2014 22 mpg

2015 23 mpg

2016 24 mpg

2017 25 mpg

2018 26 mpg

2019 26 mpg

2020 27 mpg

2021 28 mpg

2022 30 mpg

That's the average. That's still don't mean the V8s will be cancelled and absolutely don't mean they'll start making failed wheel drive (fwd) Chargers.

I'll bet a boosted v6 would be an option along with the 5.7, the 3.6 already get 30 mpg in a 2 ton body(ies).

2012 21 mpg

2013 22 mpg

2014 22 mpg

2015 23 mpg

2016 24 mpg

2017 25 mpg

2018 26 mpg

2019 26 mpg

2020 27 mpg

2021 28 mpg

2022 30 mpg

This entire thread / links is about cancelling the SRT V8s.

However, to derail.... according to insiders (take with grain of salt of course), the 300 and Charger are going to diverge paths on the next gen. 300 is going FWD / V6 off of an extended 200 platform and the Charger / Challenger is staying RWD V6 / V8 using the new Alfa RWD platform.

the Charger / Challenger is staying RWD V6 / V8 using the new Alfa RWD platform.

If I worked in Auburn Hills, that designation would make me madder than a bag of wet owls.

the "Alfa RWD platform" HA! As if Alfa volume is going to pay for that project. If it turns a profit, it's going to be off NA volume from entry-level brands.

That's the average. That's still don't mean the V8s will be cancelled and absolutely don't mean they'll start making failed wheel drive (fwd) Chargers.

It's the minimum EPA sticker value (corrected highway MPG) for vehicles in that size.

I'll bet a boosted v6 would be an option along with the 5.7, the 3.6 already get 30 mpg in a 2 ton body(ies).

The 5.7 with 8-speed is rated at 25 mpg. Sure FCA can offset for a while but CAFE does not work on arithmetic mean for total fuel economy.

Each year the minimum value is ramping up, the unfair part is that the legislation is hitting way harder than Trucks and utes.

I don't like it and I think it's unfair but unless the government eases off those targets, it's going to get harder and harder

to justify any V8 cars beyond a cople of niche models....that's what I'm on about.

I have no doubt that stragglers like Mustang, Camaro and Challenger will linger but the rest will be gone,

and that is sad because the best versions are here or about to arrive.

Do penalties apply for cars that are in the gas gussler category?

Edited by jpd80

This entire thread / links is about cancelling the SRT V8s.

I realize that but, the SRT V8s cannot continue without the rest of the V8 options

About a third of Chargers sold are V8s but the SRT, SRT392 and Hellcats are barely a tenth of that.

So yeah, if we're talking SRTs and Hellcats, that's a very minor number of vehicles.

Sorry to derail thread, simply showing how it's getting so hard to justify V8 cars

yet trucks and utes seem to get a pass...

Edited by jpd80

I realize that but, the SRT V8s cannot continue without the rest of the V8 options

About a third of Chargers sold are V8s but the SRT, SRT392 and Hellcats are barely a tenth of that.

So yeah, if we're talking SRTs and Hellcats, that's a very minor number of vehicles.

Sorry to derail thread, simply showing how it's getting so hard to justify V8 cars

yet trucks and utes seem to get a pass...

Chrysler move tons of Rams and the 3.6 v6 is the majority of LX sales also the 3.6/Hemis don't have DI, Multi-Air or other fuel saving tech. As said before I'll expect a boosted v6 with the Hemis beyond 2020.

So do you guys think the Dodge has some inside info on Ford, meaning some have suggested that the 2017 GT500 will be powered by a 3.5 EcoBoost V6. That's why Dodge will be dropping the V8 for 2019.

A niche product would not change mass market engine plans.

• Like 1

So do you guys think the Dodge has some inside info on Ford, meaning some have suggested that the 2017 GT500 will be powered by a 3.5 EcoBoost V6. That's why Dodge will be dropping the V8 for 2019.

Perhaps that's when the product cycle finishes?

It's not like FCA is looking to cancel it in the immediate future..

• Like 1