HEADS UP DISPLAY

This is the issue in Canada. With so many cars having back lit displays, when the DRLs come on, many drivers assume the headlights are on.

Only a physical inspection of the headlight switch tells you is they are on or not.

This results in as many as 1 in 20 cars driving at night without lights on.

A flash of the hi-beams usually wakes someone up. :)

Not in Toronto. The current generation of unskilled, incapable, selfish drivers interprets it as some type of insult.

Driving is slowly becoming a forgotten art.

Toronto is pretty self-absorbed IMHO. I got my licence in QC, speed is life. Here in BC: Stupid is, stupid does on the mainland. On the island, the posted speed limits work only for horse and carriage...so slow it's painfully embarrassing and no skills or notion of 'rules of the road'. :soapbox:

...So HUD's...In Lincolns first I presume?

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 2

Newer Fords (and Lincoln's) do come with DRLs

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. The salesman told me that I could not order DRL's (even at extra cost) unless I made a fleet purchase. It was almost a deal breaker as I believe very strongly in DRL's. As such, I turn on my headlights and foglights when I drive in the daytime (I live and drive in rural areas).

I was amazed that Ford would not even offer this safety feature to a customer - even at an extra cost.

It seems more and more automakers are offering HUD units to display relevant information in lieu of ever busy center dash-any thought on why or if this is coming in the near future?

I'm also puzzled by Ford continues to ignore the benefits of day time running lights? They are advocating safety-so maybe the stats don't show DRL's to be beneficial? I personally think it helps-just like it is mandatory for motorcycles.

I have the head up display in my Corvette - I really like the feature. I am surprised that Ford does not offer a basic HUD unit. I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited and was surprised at the lack of some features.

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. The salesman told me that I could not order DRL's (even at extra cost) unless I made a fleet purchase. It was almost a deal breaker as I believe very strongly in DRL's. As such, I turn on my headlights and foglights when I drive in the daytime (I live and drive in rural areas).

I was amazed that Ford would not even offer this safety feature to a customer - even at an extra cost.

There is no data to back up your belief in DRLs - plus having your headlights and taillights on is much safer anyway. If you have automatic headlamps you can just cover the sensor on top of the dash and they should come on all the time automagically.

I also believe the dealer can activate your DRLs for you with their IDS system.

Not in Toronto. The current generation of unskilled, incapable, selfish drivers interprets it as some type of insult.

Driving is slowly becoming a forgotten art.

Or Georgia. I can't count the number of times I've flashed my lights at dusk at a car with no lights on and there is no response. Maybe one in 10 will actually get it and turn on their lights.

The other day on I-20 coming back from Birmingham there was a MKZ behind me that passed me at dusk with no lights on, but you could clearly see the glow of the instrument panel. It was so dark that when she was behind me I couldn't see her in the sea of all the other headlights. So I got behind her as she went by and flashed my lights at her three times. She panics and pulls over to the right lane immediately thinking I wanted to get by or something. But about 10 seconds later she figured it out.

• Like 3

Or Georgia. I can't count the number of times I've flashed my lights at dusk at a car with no lights on and there is no response. Maybe one in 10 will actually get it and turn on their lights.

The other day on I-20 coming back from Birmingham there was a MKZ behind me that passed me at dusk with no lights on, but you could clearly see the glow of the instrument panel. It was so dark that when she was behind me I couldn't see her in the sea of all the other headlights. So I got behind her as she went by and flashed my lights at her three times. She panics and pulls over to the right lane immediately thinking I wanted to get by or something. But about 10 seconds later she figured it out.

At least she finally got it. There's something to be said about small victories.

I find it hard to believe they couldn't turn them on without being a fleet vehicle.

----

The current Expy is a stopgap, that was ready a few years ago before all the technology was available. The next generation model will have everything the current one is lacking.