Saw an Edge this a.m.

rickm70

Well, not exactly: 1) the Fusion would be a failure if it sold in Passatish volumes (28k ytd), 2) European brands are expected to be European.

That doesn't make sense, the passat is much moreexpensive and can reach into the upper 30's, plus volkwagon isn't a full line brand and ford has how many times the dealer network? Comparign passat sales to the fusion no way have any affect on what people think of european style.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And once AGAIN, the recent Euro-Fords sold in the US!

Contour/Mystique (Mondeo)-failure.

Merkur XR4Ti- failure.

Merkur Scorpio- failure.

Focus- debuted as most recalled car of all time.

Yeah, golly, Euro Fords are the answer!

Edited by ZanatWork

Focus- debuted as most recalled car of all time.

Yeah, golly, Euro Fords are the answer!

We never got a Euro Focus in North America

We got a watered-down version of a good car built by North Americans for cheap North American.

Had we have got the actual Euro Focus here Ford would be selling them hand over fist.

That doesn't make sense, the passat is much moreexpensive and can reach into the upper 30's, plus volkwagon isn't a full line brand and ford has how many times the dealer network? Comparign passat sales to the fusion no way have any affect on what people think of european style.

sales are sales. All the German built vehicles sold in America do not exceed total Accord volume, or Accord/Civic volume.

European cars are not the answer.

sales are sales. All the German built vehicles sold in America do not exceed total Accord volume, or Accord/Civic volume.

European cars are not the answer.

they arent going to exceed Accord/Civic volume when the majority of them cost twice as much and they all lack the dealer presence needed to move those volumes. Not to mention they couldnt build that many cars if they wanted to, BMW couldnt even build the X3 on its own.

they arent going to exceed Accord/Civic volume when the majority of them cost twice as much and they all lack the dealer presence needed to move those volumes. Not to mention they couldnt build that many cars if they wanted to, BMW couldnt even build the X3 on its own.

There are only two European 'entry-level cars'--the Golf and the Jetta--they sell in minuscule quantities and VW has been in the country for decades, and is still selling minuscule quantities of individual models from a tiny dealership network. If cars designed for Europe, imported here, answered a real demand among entry-level buyers, VW would be huge by now. Even Toyota and Honda had minimal penetration of the U.S. car market before they designed cars for this market.

There are only two European 'entry-level cars'--the Golf and the Jetta--they sell in minuscule quantities and VW has been in the country for decades, and is still selling minuscule quantities of individual models from a tiny dealership network. If cars designed for Europe, imported here, answered a real demand among entry-level buyers, VW would be huge by now. Even Toyota and Honda had minimal penetration of the U.S. car market before they designed cars for this market.

Hey Richard, just wanted to know what you think of the new Acura RDX 3.7L and if it makes ford look like it has fallen behind again?

Hey Richard, just wanted to know what you think of the new Acura RDX 3.7L and if it makes ford look like it has fallen behind again?

why? Edge is brand new.. 3.5 gets its 265 from 87 octance, others have to run prem... and those 300hp numbers listed are only estimates...

I love all these people who can tell how the interior feels through a picture...Having spent time driving ( 250+ miles) both a stripper Edge and a MKX there are different levels of interior feel. While I am not impressed with our corp radio and HVAC, the interior and the seating I am really liking. The MKX seems almost too soft, but at that price point it's expected. Seating is also significantly improved from vehicles as of late in everything from materials to comfort.

Whoever did the calibration on the powertrain did a great job. It doesn't hunt around while in 6th gear, like some of the CD3xx's at speed. The 3.5L sounds and runs more like a Japanese six without the premium fuel penalty. All around I really liked the road manners.

I am sure the market will respond, but will take sales away from Explorer. As a Ford employee I am actually excited to see this hit the road. While it was sitting in my driveway I had people a few doors down (who I didn't really know) stopped by to see it. They couldn't believe the roof glass, and driving is really wild with the openess. It will sell as long as we price it for the market. Lets hope so because I am sure eventually my number may get called...

SparcEE

Edited by SparcEE

I am sure the market will respond, but will take sales away from Explorer

The Explorer is losing sales no matter what, so this really doesnt matter...Rather lose an Explorer sale to an Edge or Freestyle then lose it to another manufacture.

We never got a Euro Focus in North America

We got a watered-down version of a good car built by North Americans for cheap North American.

Had we have got the actual Euro Focus here Ford would be selling them hand over fist.

part of the reason the Focus was recalled so much is that Ford didnt bother to do much prep work for bring it over from Europe to the States, thus all the recalls and whatnot on it. The first ZX3 for NA was built in the Saaruis plant...

The biggest complaint about the Edge and MKX will be the back seat which is uncomfortable for adults. It is too low to the floor.

Anyone recall the what the biggest complaint about the Contour and Mystique was?

Most said it was the lack of legroom in the rear. Having owned a Mystique, that never bothered me, I sat in the front all the time....My biggest beef was that godawful clutch on the manual transmission. The car jackrabbited and stalled frequently. I got so angry once when it stalled on clutch release, I restarted the car and released the clutch while punching the gas hard and promptly broke an internal spring in the clutch. That cost me $1,850 to fix. Other than that I enjoyed the car a lot. it was great on gas, decent acceleration and ok handling.

After seeing production pics of the Edge interior I'm very afraid for Ford, the interior is absolute garbage, I see the same cheap ass hard plastic silvery shit on the center stack that was on a stripper rental Explorer I drove back in 03. And of course the Ford wide radio and Hvac controls are literally the worst in the industry, they look like they are straight out of a 1990 Econoline van or something like that. and it's little things like that that will send people to the competition. The horrid IP Ford is using that first came about in the Escape with the hard to read 20mpg increments and cheap looking white face with the econo-car 120 mph limit looks horrible.

Ford still doesn't get it, cost cutting, poor design, cheap ass materials, and using the same ghetto parts in everything they make will be their downfall.

:rip:

Well, I've been in a few of them and the materials, fit and finish is great....and they will be considerably less expensive than the CX7

Ah, but the Edge isn't just another SUV, it's a "crossover" with a car chassis for better handling, lighter weight, more room, and better efficiency.
Ah but it's not mustard, it's grey pupone. lol Look the average person is going to take one look at this thing and think "Oh another SUV." Whatever its mechanical attributes or chassis underpinning people see a station wagon shaped vehicle that sits higher off the ground than a sedn. SUV!! lol I can't find on the Ford website any claims to mileage. Independent sources claim mid 20's highway mileage. Whoopy freakin do, you can already get mid 20's with the Escape and the Explorer with a V8 gets 21mpg highway. I don't think they really made an "improvement" there.

I've said it before on this board, and I'll say it again, if Ford CAN'T get people to pay $30K for a Ford then they have major problems.

I've never seen you say that before, I guess I missed it. You would know if I had seen it because you would have already read before what I'm about to tell you now.

You're a dumb ass!!

Listen genius, a 30 grand car is roughly a 600 dollar a month car payment. Now I don't know what ivory tower you're living in but for the vast majority of people that's a helluva big fuckin car payment. If you're upside down on your trade in, it's even higher. In my neck of the woods $600 is a house payment for a lot of people, the average house here selling for about $800 a month. I'm talking nice middle class income houses in the 2000 sq ft range in nice neighborhoods with full acre lots. Most people don't pay $600 a month for a damn car and if Ford is going to take on the attitude of "Well that's just how much they cost now so deal with it." then fuck them I hope they do go out of business. I will not pay 30 grand for a fuckin Ford sedan or "crossover" or station wagon. If' I was going to pay that much I'd just go ahead and buy the damn BMW or Audi because face it at that point if you're going to pay that much, you might as well get the status symbol.

The Explorer is losing sales no matter what, so this really doesnt matter...Rather lose an Explorer sale to an Edge or Freestyle then lose it to another manufacture.

"“We’re seeing a lot of SUVs coming in on trades, from Envoys to Explorers and Navigators,” a Toyota dealer in Spartan, Mich. told the magazine. “They are getting out of domestic SUVs and into our car. Now we’re going to retain them.”

The car he was talking about was the new Camry, which came out this summer and is now selling even faster than it did before. It might even match the 1978 record sales record of 450,000 units set by the Impala. "

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/features...nderdoelen.html[/url]

Edited by Bluecon

"“We’re seeing a lot of SUVs coming in on trades, from Envoys to Explorers and Navigators,†a Toyota dealer in Spartan, Mich. told the magazine. “They are getting out of domestic SUVs and into our car. Now we’re going to retain them.â€

The car he was talking about was the new Camry, which came out this summer and is now selling even faster than it did before. It might even match the 1978 record sales record of 450,000 units set by the Impala. "

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/features...nderdoelen.html[/url]

junk and its still selling, saw one broken down on side of road next to a gas station, stopped to get some gas.. asked the tow truck dude what happened to the new toyota camry.. he said what else, its tranny is all over the road, sure enough i took a look, little silver pieces all over.. he said its like the 10th he has towed this summer... amazing.

I will not pay 30 grand for a fuckin Ford sedan or "crossover" or station wagon. If' I was going to pay that much I'd just go ahead and buy the damn BMW or Audi because face it at that point if you're going to pay that much, you might as well get the status symbol.

If you can please point me out these new BMWs and Audis that are $30G, I'd appreciate it.

I'd love to flip them for $10G apiece.

Seriously, if you're in a neighbourhood that has full acre lots with an $800/month mortgage, either that's a pretty long mortgage, a pretty shabby house, or it's in the middle of nowhere. If you want a $12000 car, buy an Aveo or a Chery.

Is the Edge going to sell for less than $23,000?

That's what a Mazda dealer in my city is advertising CX-7s for.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPag...ter=upcomingCX7

Even the Mazda site has the base base CX7 as $24,345. So without knowing what incentives and stipulations that are in force at your local Mazda dealer, we can't tell exactly if we're making a valid comparison.

If you can please point me out these new BMWs and Audis that are $30G, I'd appreciate it.

I'd love to flip them for $10G apiece.

An Audi A4 can easily be purchased for 30G, the A3 is less. A well equipped 3 series averages about 32 to 33 grand. If you can swing the $600 a month for a 30 grand fuckin Ford, you can swing the $640 for the BMW.

Seriously, if you're in a neighbourhood that has full acre lots with an $800/month mortgage, either that's a pretty long mortgage, a pretty shabby house, or it's in the middle of nowhere.

The middle of nowhere, population 320 thousand. I'm not inclined to say on the internet where I live, we all know that's not a good idea. Suffice it to say this particular middle of nowhere is every bit as nice as anywhere in else this country. Heck we have running water and an Art Meuseum just like you fancy city boys. Good schools, three universities, nice restaurants, well kept infrastructure. What we don't have is big gang problems, trash everywhere, ghettos and the like. And yes smart ass, the average middle class house one a full acre lot sells for about 95 to 125 grand depending on location. Our upscale neighborhood that features 20 thousand sq foot homes with pools and a golf course that is frequented by PGA players has homes that sell for 250 to 500 thousand. It's not my fault you live in some suburban sewage dump where you are crammed in like sardines and you don't really know the value of things. Maybe that's why you believe a damn Ford station wagon is worth 30 grand. lol Look boys, I must be right, Ford's market share continues to dwindle while you argue with me about how a Ford is worth 30 grand and people outta just understand that. LMAO.

Edited by Sixcav

I'm not inclined to say on the internet where I live, we all know that's not a good idea.
Convenient, I call BULLSHIT. If you're in a city of 320,000 there's not much chance anyone is going to point you out here.

Even LemonFord and OtisFordSucks have their addresses on the internet.

SixCav2.jpg

Edited by OAC_Sparky

An Audi A4 can easily be purchased for 30G, the A3 is less. A well equipped 3 series averages about 32 to 33 grand. If you can swing the $600 a month for a 30 grand fuckin Ford, you can swing the $640 for the BMW.

Your compairing Apples to Oranges...who in their right mind is going to go out and buy a car thats 30K dollars and roughly the size of Focus? Just because it has a "fancy" name on it? Those same people who have $800+ mortgage payment are the same ones who will go out and spend 15K on a Focus, not a BMW. Then they have $200 dollar car payment...Plus if your not fucking stupid, you save for a downpayment on a car...

You bitches can blow all the pink smoke you like, meanwhile Ford's market share continues to get smaller and smaller. Simple fact is boys, people aren't going to pay 30 grand for a fuckin Ford station wagon. You can get all upset about it and yell at me and try to make stupid ass comments about where I live. lol Or you can accept reality. Back in reailty (where you bitches don't live) Ford is losing sales big time. The 500 is down 50%!!! There product line is not appealing, they have a preception problem and their commercials are designed to appeal to people who can't fuckin afford a 30 thousand dollar car. It's simple math dumb asses. If you are going to spend 30 grand for a car the vast majority of people won't spend it on one that has a blue oval on it, because of the reasons I listed above. If you don't believe that, just conduct your own little survey and not on here where all the little bias pro-Ford crowd will chime in. Go out into your community (those of you that actually leave the house), at work for instance and just ask people. If you had 30 grand to spend buying a new car to carry your family about, tell me what car you would buy? I promise you bitches Ford will likely not make the list for the majority of those people. Then ask the question again and change to price tag to 22 grand. Look I like the Edge too, it's a decent looking vehicle, but it's got two major strikes against it. Now matter how you or anyone else might like to categorize it, it's going to be percieved as an SUV. Strike 1 in an age of expensive gas. Second it's going to be 30 grand and that's an expensive car payment. Strike 2. The truth hurts boys, it even gets you mad as hell. And you should be mad, but not at me. I'm just the messenger.

Edited by Sixcav

I'm just the messenger.

You're just a fuckin' idiot.

You have a skewed perception of what market prices are for this type of vehicle. It's not a SEDAN. It's apparent living in your inbred community that you don't have a clue. The good news is, that since the cost of living is so cheap where you live you just might be able to afford to buy one.

Every other vehicle in its class is around the same price. Hell, official pricing isn't out yet and you're already :blah: .

The two strikes that Ford has against the Edge is 1) ignoramus cocksuckers like you running it down before it's released and 2) that I can't run a shitbag like you over in one legally.

If anything, that's the fuckin truth that hurts.

So buy your A4 SEDAN , cram your 5 people in, and shut the fuck up unless you have something intelligent to say.

Take that to your $90G 1 acre house and smoke it.